Kermit FTP - Protocols

This is a discussion on Kermit FTP - Protocols ; Hi. Is there anyone to do a directory listing on a FTP server and download every file? The issue is, there are new files added daily and I don't want to download what I downloaded yesterday. I only have read ...

  1. Kermit FTP

    Hi. Is there anyone to do a directory listing on a FTP server and download
    every file? The issue is, there are new files added daily and I don't want
    to download what I downloaded yesterday. I only have read access so I can't
    flag them once downloaded nor remove the file. I've heard Kermit has some
    programming features but not sure if it'll be smart enough to to do this?
    Any help would be appreciated.

    Regards,
    Shane

  2. Re: Kermit FTP

    On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 10:50:43 +0000, Shane Malden wrote:

    > Hi. Is there anyone to do a directory listing on a FTP server and download
    > every file? The issue is, there are new files added daily and I don't want
    > to download what I downloaded yesterday. I only have read access so I can't
    > flag them once downloaded nor remove the file. I've heard Kermit has some
    > programming features but not sure if it'll be smart enough to to do this?
    > Any help would be appreciated.

    The scripting language is only as "smart" as the programmer. :-)

    About the FTP client in c-kermit/kermit 95:
    http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ftpclient.html

    You are posting from Windoze so perhaps you need:
    http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/k95.html#order

    If you want to program c-kermit (Unix version) you need:
    http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ck60manual.html
    Scripts created for c-kermit mostly work with kermit 95 but may need
    tweaking.

    Then get the supplemental updates here:
    http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ck80.html#doc
    Also look at the tutorial on this page.

    Any omissions or misinformation on my part will surely be corrected
    by someone else.

    Gene (e-mail: gene \a\t eracc \d\o\t com)
    10:25:33 up 4 days, 19:09, 13 users, load average: 0.21, 0.15, 0.08
    ERA Computer Consulting - http://www.eracc.com/
    eCS, Linux, FreeBSD, OpenServer & UnixWare resellers

  3. Re: Kermit FTP

    On 2005-10-31, Shane Malden wrote:
    : Hi. Is there anyone to do a directory listing on a FTP server and download
    : every file? The issue is, there are new files added daily and I don't want
    : to download what I downloaded yesterday. I only have read access so I can't
    : flag them once downloaded nor remove the file. I've heard Kermit has some
    : programming features but not sure if it'll be smart enough to to do this?
    : Any help would be appreciated.
    :
    See:

    http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/case10.html

    which doesn't apply to FTP specifically, but many of the same features
    are available in the FTP client, and:

    http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ftpscripts.html

    that discusses how to write FTP scripts and works up to how to do
    "transaction processing", similar to what you are looking for.

    Also, in Kermit itself, at the C-Kermit> or K-95> prompt, type
    "help ftp mget" to see the options available when downloading files
    with FTP. Among them the /COLLISION:UPDATE switch.

    Mileage can vary depending on the capabilities of the FTP server.

    - Frank

+ Reply to Thread