Connected-mode key bound macro - Protocols

This is a discussion on Connected-mode key bound macro - Protocols ; Hi, I've looked and looked and looked but can't find how to bind a key to a macro which works IN CONNECTED MODE. I know about : set key \Kmacro but the macro gets processed immediately, rather than executing later ...

  1. Connected-mode key bound macro

    Hi,

    I've looked and looked and looked but can't find how to bind a key to a
    macro which works IN CONNECTED MODE. I know about:

    set key \Kmacro

    but the macro gets processed immediately, rather than executing later
    when c-kermit is in connected mode.

    I'm using C-Kermit 8.0.211. I'm trying to make so I can upload a
    binary file with one keypress while in connected mode. If this isn't
    possible, then I'd like to switch to command mode, upload the file, and
    switch back to connected mode with one key press.

    Any help GREATLY appreciated!

    -Dan

  2. Re: Connected-mode key bound macro

    wrote in message
    news:1130281969.690396.82360@z14g2000cwz.googlegro ups.com...

    > using C-Kermit 8.0.211. I'm trying to make so I can upload a
    > binary file with one keypress while in connected mode.

    Not sure if I've got the question correctly, but I have never had a problem
    with this using two scripts,
    one to set key and connect, the other to send the file - I'm reasonably sure
    it would work as a macro
    definition (only one scriptfile needed) as well, but haven't tested No
    reason why properly scoped variables
    wouldn't work for the filename parameter to extend to variable filenames,
    i.e. current mouse selection etc..

    ;set (`) key (below the tilde on my keyboard
    set key 96 take /home/sendfile.ksc ;
    set host ..........

    where /home/sendfile.ksc =
    kermitshbang line
    send /binary filename

  3. Re: Connected-mode key bound macro

    On 2005-10-25, dan.sandberg@gmail.com wrote:
    : I've looked and looked and looked but can't find how to bind a key to a
    : macro which works IN CONNECTED MODE. I know about:
    :
    : set key \Kmacro
    :
    : but the macro gets processed immediately, rather than executing later
    : when c-kermit is in connected mode.
    :
    : I'm using C-Kermit 8.0.211. I'm trying to make so I can upload a
    : binary file with one keypress while in connected mode. If this isn't
    : possible, then I'd like to switch to command mode, upload the file, and
    : switch back to connected mode with one key press.
    :
    C-Kermit's key mapping is extremely limited, and it definitely does not
    support binding keys to macros, as Kermit 95 (*) and MS-DOS Kermit do,
    because C-Kermit is not a true terminal emulator in the sense that the other
    two are, as explained here:

    http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckfaq.html#term

    (*) While Kermit 95 does support binding keys to macros, a bug in the current
    version, 2.1.3, prevents them from working right. This will be fixed in the
    next release. And before you ask when that will be, all I can say is we are
    still working on a way to bring the new release to you.

    Back to C-Kermit. Since C-Kermit has no access to keyboard events, all it can
    do is read single bytes from stdin. Thus you can only map keys that produce
    bytes in the range 0x01 to 0xff. That leaves out such things as Alt-key
    combinations, Ctrl-Shift combinations, and Ctrl with keys that don't produce
    ASCII control characters (such as Ctrl-Period, Ctrl-Semicolon, etc).

    The only thing you can map to a key is text (a string of 1 or more
    characters). When you press the key during CONNECT mode, the text is sent to
    the host. There are no \Kverbs in C-Kermit nor any method to set up keystroke
    macros that perform local actions; these could be added, it is a "mere matter
    of programming". The source code is open to all, anybody could do this.

    - Frank

+ Reply to Thread