Weird behavior from Kermit 95 - Protocols

This is a discussion on Weird behavior from Kermit 95 - Protocols ; Every once in a while, I see this happen when I try to exit from a Kermit 95 session that has been connected with ssh and had some local port forwarding setup (specifically I'm tunnelling an nxclient session through a ...

  1. Weird behavior from Kermit 95

    Every once in a while, I see this happen when I try to exit from a Kermit 95
    session that has been connected with ssh and had some local port forwarding
    setup (specifically I'm tunnelling an nxclient session through a firewall,
    making port 8022 on localhost look like the ssh daemon on the system
    inside the firewall where the nxserver lives - see www.nomachine.com
    if you want to know what nx is).

    I'll exit from the remote system, but kermit won't go away (as far as I
    know, there are no pending connections hanging around - I've told everyone
    who was using any forwared ports to exit first, but of course they may not
    have paid attention to me - you never know what apps are actually doing
    after their windows disappear :-).

    I'll click on the X on the titlebar to kill it by force.

    The window will disappear, then another one (blank) will pop up to replace
    it.

    I'll click on the X for that window, and yet another one will pop up to
    replace it, this one with a message about something like
    AcceptThreadInputError (but I can't recall the exact wording, and if I wait
    long enough - like the amount of time it took to type the first part of this
    message, it finally does go away :-).

    Obviously, a highly unimportant bug, since all I'm trying to do is exit
    anyway - there ins't any critical info to lose at this point. Just thought
    someone might like to know if any work ever manages to happen again on
    Kermit 95. Also a highly random bug - most of the time it doesn't happen,
    kermit just goes away when I exit).
    --
    >>==>> The *Best* political site >>==+

    email: Tom.Horsley@worldnet.att.net icbm: Delray Beach, FL |
    Free Software and Politics <<==+

  2. Re: Weird behavior from Kermit 95

    Thomas A. Horsley wrote:
    > Every once in a while, I see this happen when I try to exit from a Kermit 95
    > session that has been connected with ssh and had some local port forwarding

    I have been on a couple of Linux systems that won't exit if there is a
    background program running. Other OSs might warn that there is a
    background process, but everything dies if you exit again.

    With Linux, it just hangs. This usually happens with a nohup that was left
    behind intentionally.

    Users not running Kermit complain about the same thing.

    ---

  3. Re: Weird behavior from Kermit 95

    From somewhere in cyberspace, dold@XReXXWeird.usenet.us.com said:
    >Thomas A. Horsley wrote:
    >> Every once in a while, I see this happen when I try to exit from a Kermit 95
    >> session that has been connected with ssh and had some local port forwarding

    >I have been on a couple of Linux systems that won't exit if there is a
    >background program running. Other OSs might warn that there is a
    >background process, but everything dies if you exit again.

    This happens to me with Linux boxes all the time if I have a root session
    and have restarted some daemon with "/etc/rc.d/init.d/blahd restart". The
    Linux rc.d scripts don't redirect stdin/stdout/stderr so when you log
    out, the ssh session stays up until those file descriptors get closed.

    Restarting the daemon with ">/dev/null 2>&1 the Linux startup scripts would be a better way to fix it.

    --
    Ed Ravin | "The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as
    | well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the
    eravin@ | streets, and to steal bread."
    panix.com | --Anatole France, Le Lys Rouge [1894]

  4. Re: Weird behavior from Kermit 95

    >>I have been on a couple of Linux systems that won't exit if there is a
    >>background program running...

    >This happens to me with Linux boxes all the time if I have a root session

    Yea, I'm familiar with the hanging ssh if jobs are still running, but I
    was more worried about the odd behavior of a new kermit window popping back
    up to replace the one I just closed - at least on linux I can usually kill
    the ssh that is hung (I guess I can kill the k95g.exe that is hung too, but
    I have to go into task manager and do an "end process", the normal close
    button isn't good enough).
    --
    >>==>> The *Best* political site >>==+

    email: Tom.Horsley@worldnet.att.net icbm: Delray Beach, FL |
    Free Software and Politics <<==+

  5. Re: Weird behavior from Kermit 95

    Ed Ravin wrote:

    > Restarting the daemon with ">/dev/null 2>&1 > the Linux startup scripts would be a better way to fix it.

    That's an interesting side thought.
    If I run a nohup, I redirect output, but not input.
    Maybe that's the hang.
    Lemme see...

    132$ nohup sleep 500 > /dev/null < /dev/null &
    [1] 30912
    green:~
    133$ exit

    Nope. That hangs...
    I forgot "2".

    132$ nohup sleep 500 > /dev/null 2>&1 < /dev/null &
    [1] 30912
    green:~
    133$ exit

    That exits.
    Good. Nothing to do with Kermit, though.

    --
    ---