C-Kermit progress - Protocols

This is a discussion on C-Kermit progress - Protocols ; There's a new "dialy upload" of C-Kermit in the usual place: http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckdaily.html For those who haven't been monitoring this page (which was dormant for about a year prior to mid-June), the major changes since 8.0.211 are: . New 64-bit builds ...

  1. C-Kermit progress

    There's a new "dialy upload" of C-Kermit in the usual place:

    http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckdaily.html

    For those who haven't been monitoring this page (which was dormant
    for about a year prior to mid-June), the major changes since 8.0.211 are:

    . New 64-bit builds for Solaris 9 and 10, Mac OS X 10.4.
    . 64-bit builds for other OS's on 64-bit hardware: Linux, FreeBSD, etc.
    . Ability to transfer long files in 64-bit builds only.
    . Implementation of client and server side of REMOTE MESSAGE.
    . New --unbuffered command-line option to force unbuffered stdout.
    . SET TERM LF-DISPLAY to handle hosts or services that send bare linefeeds.
    . Some new string-processing functions.
    . Improved IDLE-ACTION options
    . OpenSSL support added to Tru64 Unix
    . Ability to disable wildcard expansion (handy for tricky URLs).
    . HTTP support for NetBSD, BSDI.
    . Wildcard expansion automatically inhibited in HTTP GET.
    . Streamlined makefile targets for NetBSD, FreeBSD, and some others.
    . Fixed the bug with disconnected ELSE parts of IF statements.
    . Fixed the matching of [a-z] construct at beginning of a pattern.
    . Fixed date-time arithmetic across a year boundary.
    . Other bug fixes.

    Work is ongoing. Right now I'm concentrating on the 64-bit issues. Some
    platforms are problematic, like HP-UX 11i. And, surprisingly, VMS (it never
    even occurred to me to check before, but VMS C-Kermit on Alpha and IA64 is a
    32-bit application; creation of a 64-bit version is apparently not a piece
    of cake!) Also I no longer have any access whatsover to AIX; if somebody
    can set me up with guest ID reachable by ssh or telnet, I can make some
    progress there.

    Long files are files whose sizes are too big to represent in 31 or 32 bits
    (depending on the OS): the cutoff is either 2GB or 4GB. The following
    versions of C-Kermit have been verified to successfully transfer long files:

    . DEC/Compaq/HP Tru64 Unix 4.0F and later;
    . Linux on IA64 and AMD x86_64 (should also work on Alpha, etc);
    . The 64-bit C-Kermit build on Mac OS X 10.4;
    . 64-bit C-Kermit builds on Solaris 9 and 10 on Sparc.

    Probably FreeBSD on 64-bit platforms too; I've already built it but it's not
    always possible to test this for lack of sufficient free disk space.

    Adapting 32-bit builds to handle long files is next on the list, but it's
    not going to be easy, since each OS has a different API for this, and also
    because Kermit has tons of its own variables for file sizes, offsets, byte
    counts, and whatnot, and the data types offered in "transitional APIs" are
    many and varied.

    - Frank

  2. Re: C-Kermit progress

    From somewhere in cyberspace, fdc@columbia.edu said:
    >There's a new "dialy upload" of C-Kermit in the usual place:
    >
    > http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckdaily.html
    >
    >For those who haven't been monitoring this page (which was dormant
    >for about a year prior to mid-June), the major changes since 8.0.211 are:

    [...]

    Not mentioned, but for which I'm thankful, is support on the Mac OS X
    platform for Kerberized telnet. Thanks!
    --
    Ed Ravin | "The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as
    | well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the
    eravin@ | streets, and to steal bread."
    panix.com | --Anatole France, Le Lys Rouge [1894]

  3. Re: C-Kermit progress

    Ed Ravin wrote:
    > From somewhere in cyberspace, fdc@columbia.edu said:
    >
    >>There's a new "dialy upload" of C-Kermit in the usual place:
    >>
    >> http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckdaily.html
    >>
    >>For those who haven't been monitoring this page (which was dormant
    >>for about a year prior to mid-June), the major changes since 8.0.211 are:

    > [...]
    >
    > Not mentioned, but for which I'm thankful, is support on the Mac OS X
    > platform for Kerberized telnet. Thanks!

    You are welcome.

    Jeffrey Altman
    Secure Endpoints Inc.

    --

  4. Re: C-Kermit progress

    Frank,

    is it possible, for example to generate a patchfile so I can just
    download that by cron and generate kermit daily :-)-O

    el

    Frank da Cruz wrote:
    > There's a new "dialy upload" of C-Kermit in the usual place:
    >
    > http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckdaily.html

+ Reply to Thread