    I can't find anything short of using normal file I/O to scan the
    directory file, pull out each name, and give it to the dial command.

  2. Re: Iterating Through a Dialing Directory

    On 2005-06-23, Allen wrote:
    : I'm trying to use Kermit 95 on a WinXP host to modem dial a group of
    : point-of-sale devices. I'd like to set up the phone numbers in a
    : dialing directory and then have a script loop through the directory,
    : calling each device and downloading sales data, until each device has
    : been polled. It seems like there should be an easy way to do this, but
    : I can't find anything short of using normal file I/O to scan the
    : directory file, pull out each name, and give it to the dial command.
    :
    Right, there is no built-in function to step through a dialing directory.
    I would say that the way you are doing it is appropriate, but I also think
    it would be good if Kermit had a programmatic way to access the
    dialing-directory filename list, and also programmatic access to its own
    functions for reading the entries (stripping comments and whatnot); I'll
    add these to my list. Meanwhile, here's a short script that reads and
    parses a dialing directory file. It accounts for {Entry Names Containing
    Spaces}, blank lines, comment lines, and trailing comments:

    #!/usr/local/bin/kermit +
    if not def \%1 exit 1 "Usage: \%0 dialing-directory-filename"

    fopen /read \%c \fcontents(\%1) # Open the file
    if fail exit 1

    define parse { # Parse dialing directory entry
    .name := \%1 # Entry name
    shift # Shift past name
    .number := \%* # Phone number is the rest
    .\%9 := \findex(\32;,\m(number)) # Strip any trailing comment
    if \%9 .number := \ftrim(\s(number[1:\%9]))
    }
    .\%n = 0 # Entry counter

    while true {
    fread /line \%c line # Read a line
    if fail break # End of file
    .line := \ftrim(\fltrim(\m(line))) # Remove any surrounding spaces
    if not def line continue # Skip blank lines
    if eq "\s(line[1:1])" ";" continue # Skip comment lines
    if eq "\s(line[1:1])" "#" continue # Ditto
    parse \m(line) # Parse and count the entry
    incr \%n
    echo "\%n. [\m(name)] = [\m(number)]"
    }
    fclose \%c
    exit 0 "Records: \%n"

    Replace the ECHO command with a call to any macro or script file that
    you want to make the call and do the work.

    - Frank

  3. Entirely a topic hijack.

    > it would be good if Kermit had a programmatic way to access the
    > dialing-directory filename list, and also programmatic access to its own
    > functions for reading the entries (stripping comments and whatnot); I'll
    > add these to my list.

    Implication that there is continuing development of K95? Mr. Altman has
    mentioned that he's
    willing to do contract work for privately available patches, but I was not
    aware that a new general
    release was planned or even being contemplated.

    If I'm not reading too much into this, do you have an
    estimated timeframe for when a new version of K95 would be available, and
    what
    we might expect it to contain? (Removal of the 2GB file size limit, etc.

    Thanks for all your continuing hard work in striving under difficult
    conditions to continue to
    help ensure the continued use / growth of Kermit.

  4. Re: Entirely a topic hijack.

    On 2005-06-27, wrote:
    :
    : Implication that there is continuing development of K95? Mr. Altman has
    : mentioned that he's willing to do contract work for privately available
    : patches, but I was not aware that a new general release was planned or even
    : being contemplated.
    :
    It's always being planned, always being contemplated.

    : If I'm not reading too much into this, do you have an estimated timeframe
    : for when a new version of K95 would be available...
    :
    I hope this year.

    : ... and what we might expect it to contain? (Removal of the 2GB file size
    : limit, etc.
    :
    See:

    http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/support.html

    (the last part of the KERMIT 95 SUPPORT AND UPDATE STATUS section).

    The 2GB size limit is a big one, as it is in C-Kermit. Well, maybe not as
    big as in C-Kermit because at least in Windows there is only one way to do
    it, whereas in other OS's such as Unix (Linux, Solaris, HP-UX, AIX, etc etc)
    there are myriad ways. The C-Kermit source code is public, anybody who
    wants to lend a hand is more than welcome. The best way to ensure that a
    feature gets into a future release of K95 is to put it in C-Kermit first
    because K95 *is* C-Kermit, plus some stuff.

    : Thanks for all your continuing hard work in striving under difficult
    : conditions to continue to help ensure the continued use / growth of
    : Kermit.
    :
    The best way to ensure continued development of K95 is for people to
    continue licensing it. The more orders we get (particularly for bulk
    right-to-copy licenses), the more options we have as to future releases.

    - Frank

+ Reply to Thread