Newbie - Slow text selection in Kermit? - Protocols

This is a discussion on Newbie - Slow text selection in Kermit? - Protocols ; Hi, I'm relativley new to Kermit; and I use it mainly to access network devies via SSH - which works great. However, I often need to capture large chunks of text from the SSH session in order to save a ...

  1. Newbie - Slow text selection in Kermit?

    Hi,

    I'm relativley new to Kermit; and I use it mainly to access network devies
    via SSH - which works great. However, I often need to capture large chunks
    of text from the SSH session in order to save a config, etc.

    I currently do this by highlighting it with the mouse; and it is fast enough
    to highlight the text showing in the window. However, if I also need to copy
    text that has scrolled off the current page the scrolling/marking process
    becomes very slow.

    Does anyone know how to speed up the text selection for copying?

    I'm running Kermit on Windows 2000 Pro if that is a factor here.

    Many thanks,
    Nick

  2. Re: Newbie - Slow text selection in Kermit?

    Nick Leachman wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm relativley new to Kermit; and I use it mainly to access network devies
    > via SSH - which works great. However, I often need to capture large chunks
    > of text from the SSH session in order to save a config, etc.

    You could use the "log session" command to capture the text. I.e.
    escape to command mode and give the commands

    log session
    connect

    Then give the command to produce the desired output and again escape
    back to command mode and give the command

    close session-log

    This will produce a log of that portion of your terminal session in the
    file session.log in your current directory. You can give a different
    file name in the log session command, e.g. "log session foo.txt"

    > I currently do this by highlighting it with the mouse; and it is fast enough
    > to highlight the text showing in the window. However, if I also need to copy
    > text that has scrolled off the current page the scrolling/marking process
    > becomes very slow.
    >
    > Does anyone know how to speed up the text selection for copying?

    You could investigate "mark mode" which may or may not help.

    Give the "manual" command to K95, then select

    Terminal Emulation
    * Advanced Screen Navigation Features

    or just open the file directory>/docs/manual/scroll.htm in your web browser.

    --
    Mark Sapiro msapiro at value net The highway is for gamblers,

  3. Re: Newbie - Slow text selection in Kermit?

    On 2005-05-27, Mark Sapiro wrote:
    : Nick Leachman wrote:
    :...
    :> I currently do this by highlighting it with the mouse; and it is fast enough
    :> to highlight the text showing in the window. However, if I also need to copy
    :> text that has scrolled off the current page the scrolling/marking process
    :> becomes very slow.
    :>
    :> Does anyone know how to speed up the text selection for copying?
    :
    : You could investigate "mark mode" which may or may not help.
    :
    Use the Page Up, Page Down, and End keys, then it's instantaneous.

    - Frank

  4. Re: Newbie - Slow text selection in Kermit?

    Thank you Frank - that worked fine!

    Regards,
    Nick

    "Frank da Cruz" wrote in message
    > On 2005-05-27, Mark Sapiro wrote:
    > : Nick Leachman wrote:
    > :...
    > :> I currently do this by highlighting it with the mouse; and it is fast

    enough
    > :> to highlight the text showing in the window. However, if I also need to

    copy
    > :> text that has scrolled off the current page the scrolling/marking

    process
    > :> becomes very slow.
    > :>
    > :> Does anyone know how to speed up the text selection for copying?
    > :
    > : You could investigate "mark mode" which may or may not help.
    > :
    > Use the Page Up, Page Down, and End keys, then it's instantaneous.
    >
    > - Frank

+ Reply to Thread