telnet - Protocols

This is a discussion on telnet - Protocols ; I am issuing "set host" to get connected to other computer through kermit. When i issue set host , it should idealy prompt for "login" and then followed by "password". But when i issue set host it issues "password prompt"(plz ...

  1. telnet

    I am issuing "set host" to get connected to other computer through
    kermit.
    When i issue set host , it should idealy prompt for "login" and
    then followed by "password".
    But when i issue set host it issues "password prompt"(plz refer
    below) and then when i try to enter the root password, it flashes login
    incorrect .
    After this it gives login prompt.

    can i get a solution where i get login first and then password prompt

    START: for reference

    (/root/) C-Kermit>set host /connect /network-type:tcp/ip 192.168.0.12
    Trying 192.168.0.12... Reverse DNS Lookup... Failed.
    Connecting to host 192.168.0.12
    Escape character: Ctrl-\ (ASCII 28, FS): enabled
    Type the escape character followed by C to get back,
    or followed by ? to see other options.
    Password:
    Login incorrect

    login:
    END: for reference

    vikrant

  2. Re: telnet

    vikrant.shahir@gmail.com wrote:

    > (/root/) C-Kermit>set host /connect /network-type:tcp/ip
    > Trying 192.168.0.12... Reverse DNS Lookup... Failed.
    > Connecting to host 192.168.0.12
    > Escape character: Ctrl-\ (ASCII 28, FS): enabled
    > Type the escape character followed by C to get back,
    > or followed by ? to see other options.
    > Password:
    > Login incorrect
    >

    > login:

    Since you are not scripting the operations and you want telnet
    protocol you should use the form

    TELNET /user:root 192.168.0.12

    You might also want to look at:

    PROBLEM: The Telnet Server does not display a "logon:" prompt
    http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/telnet80.html#x5.6

    Jeffrey Altman

    --
    -----------------

  3. Re: telnet

    :
    : can i get a solution where i get login first and then password prompt
    :
    Use this command:

    set login user

    This should prevent Kermit from sending the username in advance via
    telnet negotiation.

    - Frank

  4. Re: telnet

    In addition to Jeffery and Frank's instructions, bear in mind that on
    some systems, telneting in as root is disabled as a security measure.

    Arthur.

    vikrant.shahir@gmail.com wrote:
    > I am issuing "set host" to get connected to other computer through
    > kermit.
    > When i issue set host , it should idealy prompt for "login" and
    > then followed by "password".
    > But when i issue set host it issues "password prompt"(plz refer
    > below) and then when i try to enter the root password, it flashes login
    > incorrect .
    > After this it gives login prompt.
    >
    > can i get a solution where i get login first and then password prompt
    >
    > START: for reference
    >
    > (/root/) C-Kermit>set host /connect /network-type:tcp/ip 192.168.0.12
    > Trying 192.168.0.12... Reverse DNS Lookup... Failed.
    > Connecting to host 192.168.0.12
    > Escape character: Ctrl-\ (ASCII 28, FS): enabled
    > Type the escape character followed by C to get back,
    > or followed by ? to see other options.
    > Password:
    > Login incorrect
    >

    > login: