Help: MS-Kermit 3.15 and VT320 emulation - Protocols

This is a discussion on Help: MS-Kermit 3.15 and VT320 emulation - Protocols ; I hope this question is appropriate for this group. A piece of equipment in the department I work in (Beckman scintillation counter) was connected to a VT320 terminal, which died. The connection was a serial connection - 19200 bps, 8 ...

  1. Help: MS-Kermit 3.15 and VT320 emulation

    I hope this question is appropriate for this group. A piece of
    equipment in the department I work in (Beckman scintillation
    counter) was connected to a VT320 terminal, which died. The
    connection was a serial connection - 19200 bps, 8 data bits,
    no parity, 1 stop bit.

    A new VT320 is beyond the budget of the group that owns the
    scintillation counter, so they asked me if I can hook it up
    to an old PC. I did that by loading DOS 5.0 on an old 386,
    and using MS-Kermit 3.15 as a terminal emulator. The kermit
    initialization file contains the following commands:

    set port com1
    set speed 19200
    set flow none
    set carrier off
    set term type vt320
    connect

    I can communicate just fine with the instrument via Kermit, and
    the data it sends back does draw on the screen.

    However, before new data is displayed on the screen, the screen
    isn't "blanked", rather new stuff is written on top of old stuff.

    What parameters can I alter in Kermit so that the screen is
    redrawn properly.

    Thanks so much!
    Beverly

    P.S. I had the same problem when I tried Kermit95 running on
    Windows 2000 PC.
    --
    Many a smale maketh a grate -- Geoffrey Chaucer

  2. Re: Help: MS-Kermit 3.15 and VT320 emulation

    Bev A. Kupf wrote:
    > I hope this question is appropriate for this group.

    It is. It probably would have been answered before now by someone more
    knowledgeable than I, but it seems to have not reached the news server
    at Columbia for some reason (at least it isn't in the archive there).

    >A piece of
    > equipment in the department I work in (Beckman scintillation
    > counter) was connected to a VT320 terminal, which died. The
    > connection was a serial connection - 19200 bps, 8 data bits,
    > no parity, 1 stop bit.
    >
    > A new VT320 is beyond the budget of the group that owns the
    > scintillation counter, so they asked me if I can hook it up
    > to an old PC. I did that by loading DOS 5.0 on an old 386,
    > and using MS-Kermit 3.15 as a terminal emulator. The kermit
    > initialization file contains the following commands:
    >
    > set port com1
    > set speed 19200
    > set flow none

    You might want 'set flow xon/xoff' here. it might make a difference.

    > set carrier off
    > set term type vt320
    > connect
    >
    > I can communicate just fine with the instrument via Kermit, and
    > the data it sends back does draw on the screen.
    >
    > However, before new data is displayed on the screen, the screen
    > isn't "blanked", rather new stuff is written on top of old stuff.

    What did the real vt320 do? Did it clear the screen or scroll the
    screen. What does the Kermit emulation do? Does it restore the cursor
    to the top left and then 'type' over the old data or does it just
    overstrike on the bottom line or on the top line?

    > What parameters can I alter in Kermit so that the screen is
    > redrawn properly.

    It may be something simple like 'set terminal cr-display crlf', or it
    may be that Kermit isn't recognizing or is misinterperting the "host"
    command to clear the screen and restore the cursor. It isn't too
    likely, but it may be that the lack of flow control is causing part of
    the sequence to get lost.

    So, what is the expected behavior of the "vt320" and what command
    sequences if any are sent by the scintillation counter to accomplish
    this.

    Note: With K-95, you can see control characters and escape sequences
    with 'set terminal debug on', but this command doesn't work in some
    versions including 2.1.3 (on works like off), so you have to use alt-D
    to toggle the setting. I don't recall if there's a similar function in
    MS-Kermit.

    > Thanks so much!
    > Beverly
    >
    > P.S. I had the same problem when I tried Kermit95 running on
    > Windows 2000 PC.
    > --
    > Many a smale maketh a grate -- Geoffrey Chaucer

    --
    Mark Sapiro msapiro at value net The highway is for gamblers,

  3. Re: Help: MS-Kermit 3.15 and VT320 emulation

    Mark Sapiro wrote:
    > Bev A. Kupf wrote:

    > > What parameters can I alter in Kermit so that the screen is
    > > redrawn properly.

    > It may be something simple like 'set terminal cr-display crlf', or it
    > may be that Kermit isn't recognizing or is misinterperting the "host"
    > command to clear the screen and restore the cursor. It isn't too
    > likely, but it may be that the lack of flow control is causing part

    of
    > the sequence to get lost.

    One other possibility is if the instrument is sending 8-bit CSI, you
    probably need

    set terminal controls 8

    --
    Mark Sapiro msapiro at value net The highway is for gamblers,