kermit for GSM modem - Protocols

This is a discussion on kermit for GSM modem - Protocols ; GSM modem will used for RPMS(Remote Patient Monitoring System)project IITb, for data transfer between two computers. Currently i am doing well with basics of GSM modem attached to Linux machine and able to issue following commands through KERMIT: 1]Diagnostic commands ...

  1. kermit for GSM modem

    GSM modem will used for
    RPMS(Remote Patient Monitoring System)project IITb,
    for data transfer between two computers.

    Currently i am doing well with basics of
    GSM modem attached to Linux machine and able
    to issue following commands through KERMIT:
    1]Diagnostic commands (viz. AT+CGMI ...etc.)
    2]simply dialing out a number.(ATD; --voice)
    3]sending SMS and receiving SMS (not thro' KERMIT but GSMLIB).

    QUESTIONs:
    Now, I want to step ahead and connect two computers.
    To achieve this, one computer should sit in "wait for call mode".
    And other computer should "dial to " the waiting computer.
    I tried this but was not able to do.
    so i would like to know
    1]The DIALING computer should issue a voice/data call to WAITING computer ?
    2]If data call then, both the computers need to be set to work in
    data mode thro' FCLASS ..etc ?

    and for BACKGROUND knowledge, would like to know
    3]Normally how this gsm modem is used ..in windows..or any OS,
    i mean is any software available to attain its functionality ?
    or is it similar to our Dlink modem where we dial out ISP no. and
    connect to net ?

    Thanks for your time
    regards
    Vikrant

  2. Re: kermit for GSM modem

    : GSM modem will used for
    :
    : Currently i am doing well with basics of
    : GSM modem attached to Linux machine and able
    : to issue following commands through KERMIT:
    : 1]Diagnostic commands (viz. AT+CGMI ...etc.)
    : 2]simply dialing out a number.(ATD; --voice)
    : 3]sending SMS and receiving SMS (not thro' KERMIT but GSMLIB).
    :
    : QUESTIONs:
    : Now, I want to step ahead and connect two computers.
    : To achieve this, one computer should sit in "wait for call mode".
    : And other computer should "dial to " the waiting computer.
    : I tried this but was not able to do.
    : so i would like to know
    : 1]The DIALING computer should issue a voice/data call to WAITING computer ?
    :
    Yes.

    : 2]If data call then, both the computers need to be set to work in
    : data mode thro' FCLASS ..etc ?
    :
    The details depend on the make and model of the modem, the operating system
    of the dialed computer, and which Kermit program is doing the dialing.

    C-Kermit and Kermit 95 know about many kinds of modems and are preconfigured
    to issue the appropriate commands for making data calls, if you correctly
    identify the modem type to Kermit (using its SET MODEM TYPE command). In
    Windows, you can also use the TAPI modem database. In other cases, you can
    consult your modem manual to find the relevant commands and build up a
    user-defined modem type, as documented in "Using C-Kermit".

    The called computer is one of two kinds:

    . A timesharing system or BBS that knows how to handle incoming calls;
    it gives a login dialog and, upon successful login, sends the caller
    to a shell or menu. If the called computer is Unix based (e.g.
    Linux) then of course you have to configure it for incoming calls; see
    (for example) the Linux Serial-HOWTO and Modem-HOWTO:

    http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Serial-HOWTO.html
    http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Modem-HOWTO.html

    . A desktop computer that has no facility for receiving incoming calls
    or handling remote sessions that come in by modem, e.g. Windows or
    DOS. In this case you can use Kermit on that computer to receive the
    incoming call. There are many ways to do this, depending on what you
    want to do with the session: Kermit server, host mode, etc.

    If you give more specific information, we can give you better guidance.

    : and for BACKGROUND knowledge, would like to know
    : 3]Normally how this gsm modem is used ..in windows..or any OS,
    : i mean is any software available to attain its functionality ?
    : or is it similar to our Dlink modem where we dial out ISP no. and
    : connect to net ?
    :
    You have to read your modem's documentation to find out what it is capable
    of. Different models have different features and functions. Also, search
    in Google for such topics as how to make data connections with GSM modems,
    how to make Internet connections, etc, to find pages such as this:

    http://www.physiol.usyd.edu.au/daved...gsm-modem.html

    - Frank

+ Reply to Thread