K95 and printer port problem. - Protocols

This is a discussion on K95 and printer port problem. - Protocols ; I have a customer who is using Kermit-95 to access a Alpha/VMS. This is on a Windows-XP system, with a fairly current K95. The VMS programs use the printer port to output reports. Configuring Kermit-95 to send to a dot ...

  1. K95 and printer port problem.

    I have a customer who is using Kermit-95 to access a Alpha/VMS.
    This is on a Windows-XP system, with a fairly current K95.

    The VMS programs use the printer port to output reports.

    Configuring Kermit-95 to send to a dot matrix printer attached
    to the computer works correctly. (Windows print que)

    However, trying to use a HP deskjet 3845 (Windows print que)
    causes that print que to hang, with nothing ever printed.
    Exiting kermit doesn't clear it. You can't delete the jobs.
    You can add more jobs to the que, anthough they never print
    because they are blocked by the kermit print. It lists on
    the que as "printing".

    The only way we have found to clear this, is to reboot the
    XP machine.

    Is there any way to make this printer work correctly
    with kermit-95? Hopefully there is a simple solution
    to this problem.

  2. Re: K95 and printer port problem.

    :
    : The VMS programs use the printer port to output reports.
    :
    : Configuring Kermit-95 to send to a dot matrix printer attached
    : to the computer works correctly. (Windows print que)
    :
    : However, trying to use a HP deskjet 3845 (Windows print que)
    : causes that print que to hang, with nothing ever printed.
    : Exiting kermit doesn't clear it. You can't delete the jobs.
    : You can add more jobs to the que, anthough they never print
    : because they are blocked by the kermit print. It lists on
    : the que as "printing".
    :
    There are several possibilities:

    1. Kermit 95, as a VT terminal emulator, does what a VT terminal
    does; when commanded by the host to enter transparent print
    mode, it redirects the input stream to the printer, including
    escape sequences. Since the HP printer does not understand
    VT terminal escape sequences and since PCL commands bear a
    certain resemblence to VT escape sequences, it is possible
    that the printer is hanging because a particular VT escape
    sequence corresponds with a PCL escape sequence that does
    (or does not) do something entirely different.

    2. The HP printer is a "WinPrinter". These are not supported by
    Kermit 95.

    : The only way we have found to clear this, is to reboot the
    : XP machine.
    :
    : Is there any way to make this printer work correctly with
    : kermit-95? Hopefully there is a simple solution to this problem.
    :
    That's rarely the case in Windows. Start here:

    http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/k95faq.html#printing

    Follow the leads at the top of this section into the Kermit 95 manual.

    - Frank

  3. Re: K95 and printer port problem.

    Frank da Cruz wrote:
    > On 2005-03-09, Kevin Handy wrote:
    > : I have a customer who is using Kermit-95 to access a Alpha/VMS.
    > : This is on a Windows-XP system, with a fairly current K95.
    > :
    > : The VMS programs use the printer port to output reports.
    > :
    > : Configuring Kermit-95 to send to a dot matrix printer attached
    > : to the computer works correctly. (Windows print que)
    > :
    > : However, trying to use a HP deskjet 3845 (Windows print que)
    > : causes that print que to hang, with nothing ever printed.
    > : Exiting kermit doesn't clear it. You can't delete the jobs.
    > : You can add more jobs to the que, anthough they never print
    > : because they are blocked by the kermit print. It lists on
    > : the que as "printing".
    > :
    > There are several possibilities:
    >
    > 1. Kermit 95, as a VT terminal emulator, does what a VT terminal
    > does; when commanded by the host to enter transparent print
    > mode, it redirects the input stream to the printer, including
    > escape sequences. Since the HP printer does not understand
    > VT terminal escape sequences and since PCL commands bear a
    > certain resemblence to VT escape sequences, it is possible
    > that the printer is hanging because a particular VT escape
    > sequence corresponds with a PCL escape sequence that does
    > (or does not) do something entirely different.

    It doesn't handle simple text either (i.e. no escape sequences).

    > 2. The HP printer is a "WinPrinter". These are not supported by
    > Kermit 95.

    My main suspect. Wasn't sure if they were supported or not.
    I'd think it should just reject the file, instead of locking
    up the print que. Stupid windows.

    > : The only way we have found to clear this, is to reboot the
    > : XP machine.
    > :
    > : Is there any way to make this printer work correctly with
    > : kermit-95? Hopefully there is a simple solution to this problem.
    > :
    > That's rarely the case in Windows. Start here:

    That's why I *hoped*, but expected the worst. Windows never
    seems to like me. opaque software.

    > http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/k95faq.html#printing
    >
    > Follow the leads at the top of this section into the Kermit 95 manual.
    >
    > - Frank

+ Reply to Thread