Dial problem I've not seen before - Protocols

This is a discussion on Dial problem I've not seen before - Protocols ; Has anyone seen a "Dial Status 31" DIALLING DELAYED error message before? I've been dealing with kermit and modem dialling for years, and not come across this one. In a nutshell, kermit A has been dialling kermit B OK for ...

  1. Dial problem I've not seen before

    Has anyone seen a "Dial Status 31" DIALLING DELAYED error message before?

    I've been dealing with kermit and modem dialling for years, and not come across
    this one. In a nutshell, kermit A has been dialling kermit B OK for ages. Now
    kermit A gives this message and won't dial. However kermit A will dial anything
    else, and kermit C will dial modem B fine. So I suspect a problem with phone
    line A or modem A. A phone on phone line A will dial modem B without a problem
    too. Curious.....!

    regards

    -Rob
    robatwork at mail dot com

  2. Re: Dial problem I've not seen before

    Rob S wrote:

    > Has anyone seen a "Dial Status 31" DIALLING DELAYED error message before?
    >
    > I've been dealing with kermit and modem dialling for years, and not come across
    > this one. In a nutshell, kermit A has been dialling kermit B OK for ages. Now
    > kermit A gives this message and won't dial. However kermit A will dial anything
    > else, and kermit C will dial modem B fine. So I suspect a problem with phone
    > line A or modem A. A phone on phone line A will dial modem B without a problem
    > too. Curious.....!
    >
    > regards
    >

    > -Rob
    > robatwork at mail dot com

    "DELAYED" is not an error from Kermit, it is an error from the modem
    which indicates that the phone number you are calling cannot be dialed
    at the current time due to blacklisting within the phone system. The
    difference between "DELAYED" and "BLACKLISTED" is that "DELAYED" appears
    to indicate a temporary or transient error condition whereas
    "BLACKLISTED" is permanent.

    Jeffrey Altman

  3. Re: Dial problem I've not seen before

    :
    : I've been dealing with kermit and modem dialling for years, and not come
    : across this one. In a nutshell, kermit A has been dialling kermit B OK for
    : ages. Now kermit A gives this message and won't dial. However kermit A will
    : dial anything else, and kermit C will dial modem B fine. So I suspect a
    : problem with phone line A or modem A. A phone on phone line A will dial
    : modem B without a problem too. Curious.....!
    :
    In case it's not obvious, it's a result from the modem. You can see this
    by using SET DIAL DISPLAY ON. The modem does not report CONNECT, as it
    must for the call to succeed, but rather DIALING DELAYED, which could be
    a real condition, or a misinterpretation of the the buzzes and beeps on
    the phone line by the modem. In one case it's something with the phone
    service, in which case you'll need to contact your phone company; in the
    other it's something with the modem, in which case maybe the modem can be
    reconfigured to ignore whatever spurious signal is causing it to cancel the
    call, or else you can try another modem.

    - Frank

  4. Re: Dial problem I've not seen before

    On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 12:51:34 GMT, Jeffrey Altman wrote:

    -The
    -difference between "DELAYED" and "BLACKLISTED" is that "DELAYED" appears
    -to indicate a temporary or transient error condition whereas
    -"BLACKLISTED" is permanent.

    Cheers Jeffrey - I've come across BLACKLISTED many times, and conversely to what
    you (logically) say, turning the modem off and leaving for a few minutes seems
    to clear them in general . The DELAYED message has been permanent - at least
    since 25th Feb anyway. They are talking to BT anyway, which is slightly more fun
    than hitting yourself with a hammer, but a bit less effective. Next step.....new
    modem I think.....

    regards

    -Rob
    robatwork at mail dot com