kermit and (really) large files? - Protocols

This is a discussion on kermit and (really) large files? - Protocols ; I just had this happen using Kermit-95 on XP to talk to a fedora core 3 system (the "spike>" prompt is from the fedora system): spike> cd /spike/downloads/suse /spike/downloads/suse/ spike> ls -l total 3287928 -rw-r--r-- 1 tom tom 177 Feb ...

  1. kermit and (really) large files?

    I just had this happen using Kermit-95 on XP to talk to a fedora core 3
    system (the "spike>" prompt is from the fedora system):

    spike> cd /spike/downloads/suse
    /spike/downloads/suse/
    spike> ls -l
    total 3287928
    -rw-r--r-- 1 tom tom 177 Feb 26 21:24 MD5SUMS
    -rw-r--r-- 1 tom tom 3363543040 Feb 27 00:13 SUSE-Linux-9.2-FTP-DVD.iso
    spike> kermit
    C-Kermit 8.0.209, 17 Mar 2003, for Red Hat Linux 8.0
    Copyright (C) 1985, 2003,
    Trustees of Columbia University in the City of New York.
    Type ? or HELP for help.
    (/spike/downloads/suse/) C-Kermit>q
    spike> kermit -s SUSE-Linux-9.2-FTP-DVD.iso
    No files for -s
    spike>

    It doesn't seem to think that my 3gig dvd ISO image even exists :-).

    This is the kermit that is licensed by redhat and comes with fedora.
    Could I rebuild from source and turn on some large file support option?
    (I didn't find anything about large files in the FAQ on the web, but
    maybe I wasn't looking in the right place).

    Even if I could get large files working on the redhat side, would
    K95 be able to receive one?

    Just curious really (I switched to scp to copy this particular file,
    and it seems to be working OK).

  2. Re: kermit and (really) large files?

    Thomas A. Horsley wrote:
    > It doesn't seem to think that my 3gig dvd ISO image even exists :-).

    Kermit has a 2GB file limit.

    > This is the kermit that is licensed by redhat and comes with fedora.
    > Could I rebuild from source and turn on some large file support option?

    No.

    > (I didn't find anything about large files in the FAQ on the web, but
    > maybe I wasn't looking in the right place).

    A Google of this group exposes a previous thread.

    http://makeashorterlink.com/?D2861519A

    --
    ---