Communicating with legacy Kermit - Protocols

This is a discussion on Communicating with legacy Kermit - Protocols ; I am trying to build a patch that will allow our old handheld PCs (DEMOS 2.2, Kermit-80) to communicate with a PC and carry out data transfers. I am currently working with the 21-day demo (I can't pay for it ...

  1. Communicating with legacy Kermit

    I am trying to build a patch that will allow our old handheld PCs
    (DEMOS 2.2, Kermit-80) to communicate with a PC and carry out data
    transfers.

    I am currently working with the 21-day demo (I can't pay for it until I
    know it will work!), and am getting nowhere fast.

    Can anyone help me?

    I need to figure out how to initiate the connection, so that the
    handheld can send data from the buffer (i.e. the handheld has to be in
    control).

    I've never used Kermit before, and am currently totally out of my
    depth. I don't even know if Kermit 95 will communicate with Kermit 80!

    Thanks for any help.

  2. Re: Communicating with legacy Kermit

    On 2005-02-17, Niki wrote:
    : I am trying to build a patch that will allow our old handheld PCs
    : (DEMOS 2.2, Kermit-80) to communicate with a PC and carry out data
    : transfers.
    :
    That's CP/M-80 2.2? You can find documentation for Kermit-80 on our
    ftp site:

    ftp://kermit.columbia.edu/kermit/a/

    Some of the relevant files are:

    cpkerm.txt User manual (plain text)
    cpkerm.ps User manual (PostScript)
    cpkerm.bwr A series of "beware" (hints and tips) files.
    cpkerm.bw2 ...
    cpkerm.bw3 ...
    cpkerm.bw4 ...

    : I am currently working with the 21-day demo (I can't pay for it until I
    : know it will work!), and am getting nowhere fast.
    :
    : I need to figure out how to initiate the connection, so that the
    : handheld can send data from the buffer (i.e. the handheld has to be in
    : control).
    :
    : I've never used Kermit before, and am currently totally out of my
    : depth. I don't even know if Kermit 95 will communicate with Kermit 80!
    :
    It should. In Kermit 95, do this:

    cd
    set port com1 ; or whatever
    set speed 9600 ; or whatever else the handheld uses
    set flow none ; There's no flow control
    set carrier-watch off ; You'll probably need this
    cautious ; Use the most conservative file-transfer settings
    server

    Assuming you have your handheld connected to the PC with a null modem cable,
    now you should be able to tell Kermit-80 to SEND any file. If it's a binary
    file, first tell Kermit-80 to SET FILE-MODE BINARY. When you are finished,
    give Kermit-80 a BYE command.

    - Frank

+ Reply to Thread