Read the buffer - Protocols

This is a discussion on Read the buffer - Protocols ; Hi Everyone: I am dialing into a remote system using C-Kermit 8.0.211, logging in, and then issuing commands to receive data. This works well in interactive mode and I receive data back to my screen. I need to automate this ...

  1. Read the buffer

    Hi Everyone:

    I am dialing into a remote system using C-Kermit 8.0.211, logging in,
    and then issuing commands to receive data.
    This works well in interactive mode and I receive data back to my
    screen.

    I need to automate this process and capture the data to a file.
    Using a "kerbang" script, I issue the command to receive data but it
    does not appear on my screen. I searched the "debug.log" file, and
    found the data is going to a buffer.

    How do I retrieve data from the buffer and save it to a file?

  2. Re: Read the buffer

    There are many opportunities here but I'll assume you are issuing a unix
    like command
    which will give some kind of list you want to capture.

    The following should be the core after establishing connection:
    log session /* open session log
    to hold the data */
    lineout ls /* send ls command
    to remote host */
    input 0 a-string-you-will-never-receive /* you can create your own never
    comming string */*/
    /* but trust me
    you need this */
    log session close /* close the session log
    before it gets cluttered

    You should find the command ls echoed plus
    the output of ls
    in the file session.log in your working directory.

    Regards...Dan.

    "Mike" wrote in message
    news:43185dc2.0502021125.3fa86bf1@posting.google.c om...
    > Hi Everyone:
    >
    > I am dialing into a remote system using C-Kermit 8.0.211, logging in,
    > and then issuing commands to receive data.
    > This works well in interactive mode and I receive data back to my
    > screen.
    >
    > I need to automate this process and capture the data to a file.
    > Using a "kerbang" script, I issue the command to receive data but it
    > does not appear on my screen. I searched the "debug.log" file, and
    > found the data is going to a buffer.
    >
    > How do I retrieve data from the buffer and save it to a file?

  3. Re: Read the buffer

    help func scrnstr
    help func scrncury
    help func scrncurx

    you may also type kermit screen scrape in google, this will link you
    to sample scripts.

    "Mike" wrote in message
    news:43185dc2.0502021125.3fa86bf1@posting.google.c om...
    > Hi Everyone:
    >
    > I am dialing into a remote system using C-Kermit 8.0.211, logging in,
    > and then issuing commands to receive data.
    > This works well in interactive mode and I receive data back to my
    > screen.
    >
    > I need to automate this process and capture the data to a file.
    > Using a "kerbang" script, I issue the command to receive data but it
    > does not appear on my screen. I searched the "debug.log" file, and
    > found the data is going to a buffer.
    >
    > How do I retrieve data from the buffer and save it to a file?

  4. Re: Read the buffer

    Mike wrote:
    > Hi Everyone:
    >
    > I am dialing into a remote system using C-Kermit 8.0.211, logging in,
    > and then issuing commands to receive data.
    > This works well in interactive mode and I receive data back to my
    > screen.
    >
    > I need to automate this process and capture the data to a file.
    > Using a "kerbang" script, I issue the command to receive data but it
    > does not appear on my screen. I searched the "debug.log" file, and
    > found the data is going to a buffer.
    >
    > How do I retrieve data from the buffer and save it to a file?

    Go to http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckscripts.html

    There are examples of scripts that receive data line by line and write
    it to a file (eg the internet script pop3) and just log all received
    data (the logging scripts) and a screen-scraping script too.

    --
    Mark Sapiro msapiro at value net The highway is for gamblers,