file size limit? - Protocols

This is a discussion on file size limit? - Protocols ; Hidiho! I have compiled c-kermit 8.0.211 on a debian sarge to get ssl/tsl (I used the debian source not the official and the parameter "linux+openssl+zlib+shadow+pam"). Is there a 2 gig file size limit in the software? Because i can copy ...

  1. file size limit?

    Hidiho!

    I have compiled c-kermit 8.0.211 on a debian sarge to get ssl/tsl (I used
    the debian source not the official and the parameter
    "linux+openssl+zlib+shadow+pam"). Is there a 2 gig file size limit in the
    software? Because i can copy only files with size < 2 gb
    The file system on both (source and target) can handle such large files but
    kermit don't. Do I have to set some FLAG in the makefile or use a special
    version of gcc (my version is 3.3.4).

    Any hints for me?

    Thanks

    Franz

  2. Re: file size limit?

    Yes. There is a 2GB file limit because all of the functions in
    C-Kermit use 32-bit signed integers. No one has taken the time
    to fix this.

    --
    -----------------

  3. Re: file size limit?

    Am Thu, 13 Jan 2005 02:17:42 GMT schrieb Jeffrey Altman:

    > Yes. There is a 2GB file limit because all of the functions in
    > C-Kermit use 32-bit signed integers. No one has taken the time
    > to fix this.

    Are there any plans, to fix this? Nowadays 2GB file size aren't exotic
    anymore...
    Or do you know any other software which is able to handle sftp, logging to
    a file and everything started from a script?

  4. Re: file size limit?

    Philipp Luttenberger wrote:

    > Am Thu, 13 Jan 2005 02:17:42 GMT schrieb Jeffrey Altman:
    >
    > Are there any plans, to fix this? Nowadays 2GB file size aren't exotic
    > anymore...

    I am not aware of any plans. I am no longer employed to work on Kermit.
    However, if someone wanted to contract to see this work done I would be
    happy to provide a quote. There are two pieces of work which must be done:

    (1) replace all of the generic uses of 'int' or 'long' with size
    specific types such that is possible to continue to build C-Kermit on
    8-bit, 16-bit, and 32-bit platforms in addition to 64-bit ones.

    I would make the compromise that if the compiler does not support a
    64-bit type that we would not support large files on that platform.

    (2) add large file support to the file i/o libraries which require
    platform specific changes based upon the OS.

    > Or do you know any other software which is able to handle sftp, logging to
    > a file and everything started from a script?

    C-Kermit does not support "sftp". "sftp" is the file transfer protocol
    used with SSH. What C-Kermit supports is "ftps" or secure FTP. In
    fact, C-Kermit does not contain any native support for SSH protocols at
    all. What it does provide is integrated script language support to
    manage file transfers and sessions using an underlying SSH implementation.

    Kermit 95 on the other hand integrates SSH support but not SFTP. I
    would be willing to add the SFTP support under contract as well.

    I am not aware of any other communications software that offers all of
    the automation features in one place. Folks have certainly pieced
    together systems from stand alone components. However, I believe the
    integration has some significant benefits.

    Jeffrey Altman
    Secure Endpoints Inc.
    http://www.secure-endpoints.com

  5. Re: file size limit?

    :
    :> Yes. There is a 2GB file limit because all of the functions in
    :> C-Kermit use 32-bit signed integers. No one has taken the time
    :> to fix this.
    :
    : Are there any plans, to fix this? Nowadays 2GB file size aren't exotic
    : anymore...
    :
    This has been on our list for a long time. It's not easy. It WOULD be
    easy if sizeof(long) simply became 8, and the APIs into the file system
    used long for the file length. But that is not the case, except perhaps
    on a couple platforms, such as Tru64 (maybe). No, it turns out that the
    industry has taken a different path: each OS maker has adopted a
    *different* API for "long" files. Therefore converting a portable program
    like Kermit (that can be built on hundreds of different OS's and versions)
    to support long files on many different platforms is going to be
    horrendous task. Why, you ask?

    http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckcplm.html#x3

    Volunteers are always welcome. Back in the old days
    there used to be a lot of them.

    : Or do you know any other software which is able to handle sftp,
    : logging to a file and everything started from a script?
    :
    I suspect the path of least resistance is to add long file support to
    Kermit, but who has time? Certainly not me, at least not unless somebody
    funds the project.

    - Frank

+ Reply to Thread