What about that gnu kermit, gkermit (circa 1999)? Usable? OK? - Protocols

This is a discussion on What about that gnu kermit, gkermit (circa 1999)? Usable? OK? - Protocols ; Frank: I've just been downloading (via "pkg-get") some solaris packages (.pkg), one of which, on a whim, was gkermit. (1) Presumably, ckermit (sp?) is a lot better, bugs fixed, features, speed, etc. So, the question: what do you hear, via ...

  1. What about that gnu kermit, gkermit (circa 1999)? Usable? OK?

    Frank:

    I've just been downloading (via "pkg-get") some solaris
    packages (.pkg), one of which, on a whim, was gkermit.

    (1) Presumably, ckermit (sp?) is a lot better, bugs fixed,
    features, speed, etc.

    So, the question: what do you hear, via grapevine, etc,
    about gkermit? (seems to be circa 1999)

    (2) I believe that at least for the PC, you *charge*
    for kermit -- ie, is not entirely free.

    But for unix, ie ckermit, there's no charge.

    QUESTION: would you be happy for ckermit to be
    available (as a solaris "package") via blastwave?

    If you say "yes", then I'll suggest it, and ask
    "whoever" to get in touch with you.

    Thanks!

    David

  2. Re: What about that gnu kermit, gkermit (circa 1999)? Usable? OK?

    :
    : (1) Presumably, ckermit (sp?) is a lot better, bugs fixed,
    : features, speed, etc.
    :
    : So, the question: what do you hear, via grapevine, etc,
    : about gkermit? (seems to be circa 1999)
    :
    G-Kermit is perfectly usable, and it's fast. It is a single-purpose
    Kermit implementation. Its only purpose is to act as the far end of
    a file transfer. It does nothing else. No command or scripting
    language, no making connections, etc. As far as I know, it has no
    bugs. It was designed to last forever, there should be no need for
    updates. For details see the G-Kermit web page:

    http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/gkermit.html

    : (2) I believe that at least for the PC, you *charge*
    : for kermit -- ie, is not entirely free.
    :
    That's correct, something has to pay the bills.

    : But for unix, ie ckermit, there's no charge.
    :
    For own use, no charge. For commercial redistribution or packaging
    with or as a commercial product, it must be licensed, as explained on
    the C-Kermit website:

    http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckermit.html

    : QUESTION: would you be happy for ckermit to be
    : available (as a solaris "package") via blastwave?
    :
    I'm always glad to have people contribute C-Kermit install packages for
    different platforms. We have a number of them already available:

    http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckermit.html#packages

    : If you say "yes", then I'll suggest it, and ask
    : "whoever" to get in touch with you.
    :
    Thanks. Guidelines for construction of C-Kermit pacakges can
    be found here:

    http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckpackages.html

    - Frank

  3. Re: What about that gnu kermit, gkermit (circa 1999)? Usable? OK?

    In article ,
    Frank da Cruz wrote:
    >: available (as a solaris "package") via blastwave?
    >:
    >I'm always glad to have people contribute C-Kermit install packages for
    >different platforms. We have a number of them already available:
    >
    > http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckermit.html#packages
    >
    >: If you say "yes", then I'll suggest it, and ask
    >: "whoever" to get in touch with you.
    >:
    >Thanks. Guidelines for construction of C-Kermit pacakges can
    >be found here:
    >
    > http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckpackages.html
    >
    >- Frank

    Thanks --

    I'll fwd your reply-post off to the blastwave people.

    David

  4. Re: What about that gnu kermit, gkermit (circa 1999)? Usable? OK?

    In article , fdc@columbia.edu
    says...

    >On 2004-12-25, David Combs wrote:
    >: I've just been downloading (via "pkg-get") some solaris
    >: packages (.pkg), one of which, on a whim, was gkermit.
    >:
    >: (1) Presumably, ckermit (sp?) is a lot better, bugs fixed,
    >: features, speed, etc.
    >:
    >: So, the question: what do you hear, via grapevine, etc,
    >: about gkermit? (seems to be circa 1999)
    >:
    >G-Kermit is perfectly usable, and it's fast. It is a single-purpose
    >Kermit implementation. Its only purpose is to act as the far end of
    >a file transfer. It does nothing else. No command or scripting
    >language, no making connections, etc. As far as I know, it has no
    >bugs. It was designed to last forever, there should be no need for
    >updates. For details see the G-Kermit web page:
    >
    > http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/gkermit.html
    >
    >: (2) I believe that at least for the PC, you *charge*
    >: for kermit -- ie, is not entirely free.
    >:
    >That's correct, something has to pay the bills.
    >
    >: But for unix, ie ckermit, there's no charge.
    >:
    >For own use, no charge. For commercial redistribution or packaging
    >with or as a commercial product, it must be licensed, as explained on
    >the C-Kermit website:
    >
    > http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckermit.html
    >
    >: QUESTION: would you be happy for ckermit to be
    >: available (as a solaris "package") via blastwave?
    >:
    >I'm always glad to have people contribute C-Kermit install packages for
    >different platforms. We have a number of them already available:
    >
    > http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckermit.html#packages
    >
    >: If you say "yes", then I'll suggest it, and ask
    >: "whoever" to get in touch with you.
    >:
    >Thanks. Guidelines for construction of C-Kermit pacakges can
    >be found here:
    >
    > http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckpackages.html
    >
    >- Frank

    Hello from the Eighth Doctor
    Yes, G-Kermit is indeed designed to last forever. However, for Slackware 10.0, it
    does not build correctly. I grabbed the compressed tar ball, and extracted it into a
    folder of the same name. Then ran make. According to this script file:
    Script started on Sat 22 Jan 2005 09:43:28 PM EST
    root@who3:/usr/src/gku100# make
    cc -DPOSIX -O -c gwart.c
    cc -o gwart gwart.o
    ../gwart gproto.w gproto.c
    11 states, 20 actions
    cc -DPOSIX -O -c gproto.c
    cc -DPOSIX -O -c gkermit.c
    cc -DPOSIX -O -c gunixio.c
    cc -DPOSIX -O -c gcmdline.c
    cc -o gkermit gproto.o gkermit.o gunixio.o gcmdline.o
    gkermit.o(.text+0x59f): In function `sfile':
    : undefined reference to `errno'
    gkermit.o(.text+0x9c2): In function `seof':
    : undefined reference to `errno'
    gkermit.o(.text+0x17c5): In function `decode':
    : undefined reference to `errno'
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    make: *** [gkermit] Error 1
    root@who3:/usr/src/gku100# exit
    Script done on Sat 22 Jan 2005 09:44:46 PM EST
    It threw up an error at that location. I think it was the same location that I found for
    9.1. Why the more GCC advances, the more times older programs throw basically
    the same errors, I do not know.
    ----
    Gregg drwho8 atsign att dot net

  5. Re: What about that gnu kermit, gkermit (circa 1999)? Usable? OK?

    On 2005-01-23, The Eighth Doctor wrote: Yes,
    : G-Kermit is indeed designed to last forever. However, for Slackware 10.0, it
    : does not build correctly. I grabbed the compressed tar ball, and extracted
    : it into a folder of the same name. Then ran make. According to this script
    : file:
    : ...
    : cc -o gkermit gproto.o gkermit.o gunixio.o gcmdline.o
    : gkermit.o(.text+0x59f): In function `sfile':
    : undefined reference to `errno'
    : ...
    : Script done on Sat 22 Jan 2005 09:44:46 PM EST

    : It threw up an error at that location. I think it was the same location that
    : I found for 9.1. Why the more GCC advances, the more times older programs
    : throw basically the same errors, I do not know.
    :
    In gkermit.h, remove the line:

    extern int errno;

    - Frank

  6. Re: What about that gnu kermit, gkermit (circa 1999)? Usable? OK?

    On 2005-01-24, Frank da Cruz wrote:
    : On 2005-01-23, The Eighth Doctor wrote: Yes,
    :: G-Kermit is indeed designed to last forever. However, for Slackware 10.0, it
    :: does not build correctly. I grabbed the compressed tar ball, and extracted
    :: it into a folder of the same name. Then ran make. According to this script
    :: file:
    :: ...
    :: cc -o gkermit gproto.o gkermit.o gunixio.o gcmdline.o
    :: gkermit.o(.text+0x59f): In function `sfile':
    :: undefined reference to `errno'
    :: ...
    :: Script done on Sat 22 Jan 2005 09:44:46 PM EST
    :
    :: It threw up an error at that location. I think it was the same location that
    :: I found for 9.1. Why the more GCC advances, the more times older programs
    :: throw basically the same errors, I do not know.
    ::
    : In gkermit.h, remove the line:
    :
    : extern int errno;
    :
    Actually, you don't have to hack the source code, you can just build it
    with the ERRNO_H flag:

    make KFLAGS=-DERRNO_H posix

    - Frank

  7. Re: What about that gnu kermit, gkermit (circa 1999)? Usable? OK?

    In article , fdc@columbia.edu
    says...

    >On 2005-01-24, Frank da Cruz wrote:
    >: On 2005-01-23, The Eighth Doctor wrote: Yes,
    >:: G-Kermit is indeed designed to last forever. However, for Slackware 10.0, it
    >:: does not build correctly. I grabbed the compressed tar ball, and extracted
    >:: it into a folder of the same name. Then ran make. According to this script
    >:: file:
    >:: ...
    >:: cc -o gkermit gproto.o gkermit.o gunixio.o gcmdline.o
    >:: gkermit.o(.text+0x59f): In function `sfile':
    >:: undefined reference to `errno'
    >:: ...
    >:: Script done on Sat 22 Jan 2005 09:44:46 PM EST
    >:
    >:: It threw up an error at that location. I think it was the same location that
    >:: I found for 9.1. Why the more GCC advances, the more times older programs
    >:: throw basically the same errors, I do not know.
    >::
    >: In gkermit.h, remove the line:
    >:
    >: extern int errno;
    >:
    >Actually, you don't have to hack the source code, you can just build it
    >with the ERRNO_H flag:
    >
    > make KFLAGS=-DERRNO_H posix
    >
    >- Frank

    Hello from the Eighth Doctor
    Okay that seems to work. Apparently removing the extern, causes this error:
    Script started on Mon 24 Jan 2005 02:49:13 PM ES
    root@who3:/usr/src/gku100#
    make
    cc -DPOSIX -O -c gwart.c
    cc -o gwart gwart.o
    ../gwart gproto.w gproto.c
    11 states, 20 actions
    cc -DPOSIX -O -c gproto.c
    cc -DPOSIX -O -c gkermit.c
    gkermit.c: In function `sfile':
    gkermit.c:346: error: `errno' undeclared (first use in this function)
    gkermit.c:346: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
    gkermit.c:346: error: for each function it appears in.)
    gkermit.c: In function `seof':
    gkermit.c:465: error: `errno' undeclared (first use in this function)
    gkermit.c: In function `decode':
    gkermit.c:865: error: `errno' undeclared (first use in this function)
    make: *** [gkermit.o] Error 1
    root@who3:/usr/src/gku100# exit
    exit
    Script done on Mon 24 Jan 2005 02:49:46 PM EST

    However, with keeping the source code as is, and then using your suggestion on the
    make file produced things this way:

    Script started on Mon 24 Jan 2005 02:50:56 PM EST
    root@who3:/usr/src/gku100# make KFLAGS=-DERRNO_H posix
    make "CC=cc" "CFLAGS=-DPOSIX -O -DERRNO_H" gkermit
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/gku100'
    cc -DPOSIX -O -DERRNO_H -c gkermit.c
    cc -DPOSIX -O -DERRNO_H -c gunixio.c
    cc -DPOSIX -O -DERRNO_H -c gcmdline.c
    cc -o gkermit gproto.o gkermit.o gunixio.o gcmdline.o
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/gku100'
    root@who3:/usr/src/gku100# exit
    Script done on Mon 24 Jan 2005 02:51:43 PM EST

    Which tells me it worked. I suggest that the pages for gkermit should be updated,
    RSN.
    ---
    Gregg drwho8 atsign att dot net

  8. Re: What about that gnu kermit, gkermit (circa 1999)? Usable? OK?

    On 2005-01-24, The Eighth Doctor wrote:
    : ...
    : Okay that seems to work ... using your suggestion on the
    : make file produced things this way:
    :
    : Script started on Mon 24 Jan 2005 02:50:56 PM EST
    : root@who3:/usr/src/gku100# make KFLAGS=-DERRNO_H posix
    : make "CC=cc" "CFLAGS=-DPOSIX -O -DERRNO_H" gkermit
    : make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/gku100'
    : cc -DPOSIX -O -DERRNO_H -c gkermit.c
    : cc -DPOSIX -O -DERRNO_H -c gunixio.c
    : cc -DPOSIX -O -DERRNO_H -c gcmdline.c
    : cc -o gkermit gproto.o gkermit.o gunixio.o gcmdline.o
    : make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/gku100'
    : root@who3:/usr/src/gku100# exit
    : Script done on Mon 24 Jan 2005 02:51:43 PM EST
    :
    : Which tells me it worked. I suggest that the pages for gkermit should be
    : updated,
    :
    This information was added some time ago (so long ago I must have forgetten
    about it :-)

    http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/gkermit.html#buil

    The ERRNO_H is in the list of KFLAGS.

    - Frank