Long exit delay after file transfer to remote kermit - Protocols

This is a discussion on Long exit delay after file transfer to remote kermit - Protocols ; I have a MS-DOS machine running MS-Kermit in server mode connected via null-modem cable to a Win2000 machine running MS-Kermit in a DOS box. I can transfer files fine to the DOS machine. I invoke kermit with: kermit send small.txt ...

  1. Long exit delay after file transfer to remote kermit

    I have a MS-DOS machine running MS-Kermit in server mode connected via
    null-modem cable to a Win2000 machine running MS-Kermit in a DOS box. I can
    transfer files fine to the DOS machine. I invoke kermit with:

    kermit send small.txt file1.txt, bye, exit

    and both machines do the transfer and return to the DOS prompt in 2-3
    seconds; but, when small.txt goes from a 30KB file to a 500KB file, the
    return to DOS prompt takes around 60 seconds.

    Anyone know why the increased delay and how to eliminate it?

    Thanks in advance,
    Mel.

  2. Re: Long exit delay after file transfer to remote kermit

    Mel wrote:
    > I have a MS-DOS machine running MS-Kermit in server mode connected

    via
    > null-modem cable to a Win2000 machine running MS-Kermit in a DOS box.

    I can
    > transfer files fine to the DOS machine. I invoke kermit with:
    >
    > kermit send small.txt file1.txt, bye, exit
    >
    > and both machines do the transfer and return to the DOS prompt in 2-3

    > seconds; but, when small.txt goes from a 30KB file to a 500KB file,

    the
    > return to DOS prompt takes around 60 seconds.
    >
    > Anyone know why the increased delay and how to eliminate it?

    I think the likely explanation is that you have a large number of
    sliding windows and a large packet size and the sender thinks it has
    sent all the packets and shows 100%, but the server hasn't received,
    stored and acked all the packets yet. This has to happen before the bye
    and exit will occur.

    Sixty seconds seems long, but if the MS-DOS machine is slow, it could
    take that long.

    If you notice that initially the transfer rate seems fast and then
    suddenly slows after all the windows are in use, that is another
    manifestation of this situation.

    If you reduce the max number of windows and the packet size, the
    transfer will probably take about the same total time, but it won't
    seem to be done before it actually is.

    --
    Mark Sapiro msapiro at value net The highway is for gamblers,