Character set - Protocols

This is a discussion on Character set - Protocols ; Hi! I have a problem with character set in (trial) K95, connecting to VMS. In 7-bit NRC character set some ASCII characters are replaced by diacriticals in our language and I am not able to get them in the terminal ...

  1. Character set

    Hi!

    I have a problem with character set in (trial) K95, connecting to VMS.
    In 7-bit NRC character set some ASCII characters are replaced by
    diacriticals in our language and I am not able to get them in the
    terminal emulator window.
    I have Win98SE with CP1250 and have tried with different settings
    for character-set, with different fonts, but I always get characters
    from ASCII character set, not the diacriticals.

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Character set

    Frenki wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > I have a problem with character set in (trial) K95, connecting to

    VMS.
    > In 7-bit NRC character set some ASCII characters are replaced by
    > diacriticals in our language and I am not able to get them in the
    > terminal emulator window.
    > I have Win98SE with CP1250 and have tried with different settings
    > for character-set, with different fonts, but I always get characters
    > from ASCII character set, not the diacriticals.

    Are you using k95 or k95g? in k95g, you can select the character set
    from the toolbar, but my testing shows that if you make the selection
    in the terminal window, it is not effective until you switch to the
    command window and then back to the terminal window.

    In k95, you must use the

    set terminal character-set

    command. Also, you need to select the appropriate 7-bit character set
    for your language. Go to http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/charsets.html
    and pick the appropriate character set identified as 7 bits ISO 646 or
    DEC NRC.

    --
    Mark Sapiro msapiro at value net The highway is for gamblers,

  3. Re: Character set

    On 11 Dec 2004 15:45:06 -0800, "Mark Sapiro"
    wrote:

    >Frenki wrote:
    >> Hi!
    >>
    >> I have a problem with character set in (trial) K95, connecting to

    >VMS.
    >> In 7-bit NRC character set some ASCII characters are replaced by
    >> diacriticals in our language and I am not able to get them in the
    >> terminal emulator window.
    >> I have Win98SE with CP1250 and have tried with different settings
    >> for character-set, with different fonts, but I always get characters
    >> from ASCII character set, not the diacriticals.

    >Are you using k95 or k95g? in k95g, you can select the character set
    >from the toolbar, but my testing shows that if you make the selection
    >in the terminal window, it is not effective until you switch to the
    >command window and then back to the terminal window.
    >
    >In k95, you must use the
    >
    >set terminal character-set
    >
    >command. Also, you need to select the appropriate 7-bit character set
    >for your language. Go to http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/charsets.html
    >and pick the appropriate character set identified as 7 bits ISO 646 or
    >DEC NRC.

    Thanks, Mark!

    I am using K95g (GUI) and have already tried with different settings
    in the toolbar and with set terminal character-set.
    I have some experience with DOS Kermit, many years ago, where I used
    CP437 and everything worked fine.
    But I don't uderstand how can I change the appearance of the character
    on the screen. In the command window I can see all the correct glyphs
    for our characters and in the terminal window I am not able to get
    them. And in the fonts, I tried with, there are the specific glyphs.

    At http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/charsets.html there are some
    7-bit NRC character sets, but not the right one. And I don't know
    if it is a problem of the right character-set but of the correct font
    mapping. I have seen similar problems in some editors and in almoust
    all Windows terminal emulators except Reflection and Anzio.

    Thanks again!

  4. Re: Character set

    On 2004-12-12, Frenki wrote:
    : On 11 Dec 2004 15:45:06 -0800, "Mark Sapiro"
    : ...
    :
    : At http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/charsets.html there are some
    : 7-bit NRC character sets, but not the right one. And I don't know
    : if it is a problem of the right character-set but of the correct font
    : mapping. I have seen similar problems in some editors and in almoust
    : all Windows terminal emulators except Reflection and Anzio.
    :
    What is character set you need to use? If you don't know its name, then
    tell us the language.

    - Frank

  5. Re: Character set - dia.gif (0/1)

    On 12 Dec 2004 15:30:57 GMT, Frank da Cruz wrote:

    >On 2004-12-12, Frenki wrote:
    >: On 11 Dec 2004 15:45:06 -0800, "Mark Sapiro"
    >: wrote:
    >: ...
    >: I am using K95g (GUI) and have already tried with different settings
    >: in the toolbar and with set terminal character-set.
    >: I have some experience with DOS Kermit, many years ago, where I used
    >: CP437 and everything worked fine.
    >: But I don't uderstand how can I change the appearance of the character
    >: on the screen. In the command window I can see all the correct glyphs
    >: for our characters and in the terminal window I am not able to get
    >: them. And in the fonts, I tried with, there are the specific glyphs.
    >:
    >: At http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/charsets.html there are some
    >: 7-bit NRC character sets, but not the right one. And I don't know
    >: if it is a problem of the right character-set but of the correct font
    >: mapping. I have seen similar problems in some editors and in almoust
    >: all Windows terminal emulators except Reflection and Anzio.
    >:
    >What is character set you need to use? If you don't know its name, then
    >tell us the language.
    >
    >- Frank

    Slovenian and I don't know the name of the 7-bit character-set.

    http://www.ijs.si/slo-chset.html-l2

    Our language has 3 + 2 (used in ex-Yugoslavia) diacriticals.
    Look at the attached picture.

    Thanks!

  6. Re: Character set - dia.gif (0/1)

    SET TERMINAL VT-LANGUAGE SLOVAK
    SET TERMINAL VT-NRC-MODE ON

    Jeffrey Altman

  7. Re: Character set - dia.gif (0/1)

    On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 21:48:20 GMT, Jeffrey Altman
    wrote:

    >SET TERMINAL VT-LANGUAGE SLOVAK
    >SET TERMINAL VT-NRC-MODE ON
    >
    >Jeffrey Altman

    Thanks!

    But it doesn't work.

  8. Re: Character set - dia.gif (0/1)

    Frenki wrote:

    > On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 21:48:20 GMT, Jeffrey Altman
    > wrote:
    >

    >>SET TERMINAL VT-LANGUAGE SLOVAK
    >>SET TERMINAL VT-NRC-MODE ON
    >>
    >>Jeffrey Altman

    > Thanks!
    >
    > But it doesn't work.

    The functionality in Kermit 95 does work. Unfortunately, you have not
    provided enough information to explain what you are doing wrong. You
    will need to provide all the details on your communication channel
    as well as describe how your host system is configured to use NRC mode.
    VT 220 and above terminals do not support NRC mode without special
    configuration. Neither does Kermit 95. That is what the above commands
    are for.

    You will also need to provide a session.log from your host. The log
    must contain the entire session so that any initialization or probing
    sequences provided by the host are included in the log.

    When I worked for the Kermit Project I would have been happy to spend
    whatever time was needed to assist you in debugging your configuration.
    As I am now a consultant, I am now available on a per hour basis to
    debug and correct problems in C-Kermit and Kermit 95 for registered users.

    Please read http://www.columbia.edu/~jaltman/ for details.

    Jeffrey Altman

  9. Re: Character set - dia.gif (0/1)

    On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 18:47:36 GMT, Jeffrey Altman
    wrote:

    >Frenki wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 21:48:20 GMT, Jeffrey Altman
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>SET TERMINAL VT-LANGUAGE SLOVAK
    >>>SET TERMINAL VT-NRC-MODE ON
    >>>
    >>>Jeffrey Altman

    >> Thanks!
    >>
    >> But it doesn't work.

    >The functionality in Kermit 95 does work. Unfortunately, you have not
    >provided enough information to explain what you are doing wrong. You
    >will need to provide all the details on your communication channel
    >as well as describe how your host system is configured to use NRC mode.
    >VT 220 and above terminals do not support NRC mode without special
    >configuration. Neither does Kermit 95. That is what the above commands
    >are for.
    >
    >You will also need to provide a session.log from your host. The log
    >must contain the entire session so that any initialization or probing
    >sequences provided by the host are included in the log.
    >
    >When I worked for the Kermit Project I would have been happy to spend
    >whatever time was needed to assist you in debugging your configuration.
    >As I am now a consultant, I am now available on a per hour basis to
    >debug and correct problems in C-Kermit and Kermit 95 for registered users.
    >
    >Please read http://www.columbia.edu/~jaltman/ for details.
    >
    >Jeffrey Altman

    Short explanation:
    A friend of mine is searching a single terminal emulator (family) to
    connect Windows to Linux and VMS and Linux to Linux and VMS.
    I suggested Kermit. Hi tried it and in C-kermit connection to VMS
    he had the same problem, not able to get proper char-set.
    As I expressed, that with Kermit one can do almoust everything,
    I installed K95 version and got the same problem.

    Our VMS has no special configuration for NRC, it is the same
    functionality since version 3, when I started using it. To avoid
    problems with different terminal types I am using simple VT100
    emulation. We are still using all the terminal types (VT100 up
    to VT525) in 7-bit mode without any special configuration on VMS
    side.

    Things are probably different on Linux, because of xterm, but
    the fact is, that it does not work on Windows as supposed.
    Maybe I am wrong and there is somewhere a secret bit,
    but it is too hidden for the average user.

    Thanks!

  10. Re: Character set - dia.gif (0/1)

    Frenki wrote:

    > Short explanation:
    > A friend of mine is searching a single terminal emulator (family) to
    > connect Windows to Linux and VMS and Linux to Linux and VMS.
    > I suggested Kermit. Hi tried it and in C-kermit connection to VMS
    > he had the same problem, not able to get proper char-set.
    > As I expressed, that with Kermit one can do almoust everything,
    > I installed K95 version and got the same problem.
    >
    > Our VMS has no special configuration for NRC, it is the same
    > functionality since version 3, when I started using it. To avoid
    > problems with different terminal types I am using simple VT100
    > emulation. We are still using all the terminal types (VT100 up
    > to VT525) in 7-bit mode without any special configuration on VMS
    > side.
    >
    > Things are probably different on Linux, because of xterm, but
    > the fact is, that it does not work on Windows as supposed.
    > Maybe I am wrong and there is somewhere a secret bit,
    > but it is too hidden for the average user.
    >
    > Thanks!

    The VT terminals do not define a 7-bit NRC mode for Slovak.
    Slovak is only defined for the 8-bit International mode in which
    case ISO Latin 2 is used as the character set. When the VT Language
    is Slovak and NRC mode is enabled, US ASCII is the terminal
    character set which is defined.

    Jeffrey Altman

  11. Re: Character set - dia.gif (0/1)

    >> Thanks!

    >The VT terminals do not define a 7-bit NRC mode for Slovak.
    >Slovak is only defined for the 8-bit International mode in which
    >case ISO Latin 2 is used as the character set. When the VT Language
    >is Slovak and NRC mode is enabled, US ASCII is the terminal
    >character set which is defined.
    >
    >Jeffrey Altman

    I see, maybe you missed my first post

    > I have a problem with character set in (trial) K95, connecting to VMS.
    > In 7-bit NRC character set some ASCII characters are replaced by
    > diacriticals in our language and I am not able to get them in the
    > terminal emulator window.

    It is 7-bit NRC with some ASCII characters replaced as they are
    described in http://vt100.net/docs/vt220-rm/chapter2.html.

    Slovak 7-bit NRC is not defined and also Slovenian is not, which
    I am asking about. Slovakia and Slovenia are different countries.
    But the same mechanism of character replacement is/was used in all
    DEC terminals for our market (or ex-Yugoslavia) when used in 7-bit
    mode.

    15 years ago I implemented DOS Kermit to automatize data transfer
    from PCs diskette to VAX/VMS with automatic login, file transfer,
    batch data control and status return. It worked without problems for
    over 10 years. And all the character translation/mapping worked fine.

    So I supposed, that Windows version will work without problems
    when one can define local and remote character-set and aproppriate
    font with those replaced characters.

  12. Re: Character set - dia.gif (0/1)

    Frenki wrote:
    > It is 7-bit NRC with some ASCII characters replaced as they are
    > described in http://vt100.net/docs/vt220-rm/chapter2.html.

    The important section is 2.4.3 National Replacement Character Sets (NRC
    sets)

    > Slovak 7-bit NRC is not defined and also Slovenian is not, which
    > I am asking about. Slovakia and Slovenia are different countries.
    > But the same mechanism of character replacement is/was used in all
    > DEC terminals for our market (or ex-Yugoslavia) when used in 7-bit
    > mode.

    As described in 2.4.3, there is no NRC character set built into the
    standard VT220 for the locales you have mentioned. Now there may
    be modified versions for those markets but the standard models only
    contain NRC sets for

    U.K.
    French
    French Canadian
    Norwegian/Danish
    Finnish
    German
    Italian
    Swiss
    Swedish
    Spanish
    Portuguese
    Russian
    Greek
    Hebrew
    Turkish

    In the documentation for the VT 500 series, they add a locale for
    Slovakia but only define it as being for use with 8-bit character
    sets. When NRC mode is activated, U.S. ASCII is used instead.

    > 15 years ago I implemented DOS Kermit to automatize data transfer
    > from PCs diskette to VAX/VMS with automatic login, file transfer,
    > batch data control and status return. It worked without problems for
    > over 10 years. And all the character translation/mapping worked fine.

    The only character sets supported by MS-DOS Kermit are:

    [C:\KERMIT\DOS] MS-Kermit>set term character-set ? Use one of the
    following words in this position:
    ASCII British Dutch Finnish French Fr-Canadian German Hebrew-7
    Italian Norwegian/Danish Portuguese Spanish Swedish Swiss
    Alternate-ROM Transparent Latin1 Latin2 Hebrew-ISO HP-Roman8
    DEC-MCS
    DEC-Technical DEC-Special DG-International DG-Line-Drawing
    DG-Word-Processing JIS-Kanji JIS-Katakana JIS-Roman

    Which one did you use? Clearly Slovak is not in this list.

    > So I supposed, that Windows version will work without problems
    > when one can define local and remote character-set and aproppriate
    > font with those replaced characters.

    I am sure that Kermit 95 does what you need it to do. More then likely
    you were not using NRC mode with your application and in fact were using
    8-bit ISO Latin-2. Latin2 is the appropriate character set for use
    in your region of the world.

    Jeffrey Altman
    Kermit 95 Author

  13. Re: Character set - dia.gif (0/1)

    >The only character sets supported by MS-DOS Kermit are:
    >
    >[C:\KERMIT\DOS] MS-Kermit>set term character-set ? Use one of the
    >following words in this position:
    > ASCII British Dutch Finnish French Fr-Canadian German Hebrew-7
    > Italian Norwegian/Danish Portuguese Spanish Swedish Swiss
    > Alternate-ROM Transparent Latin1 Latin2 Hebrew-ISO HP-Roman8
    >DEC-MCS
    > DEC-Technical DEC-Special DG-International DG-Line-Drawing
    > DG-Word-Processing JIS-Kanji JIS-Katakana JIS-Roman
    >
    >Which one did you use? Clearly Slovak is not in this list.

    I think it was ASCII, but with modified keyboard and display drivers.

    >I am sure that Kermit 95 does what you need it to do. More then likely
    >you were not using NRC mode with your application and in fact were using
    >8-bit ISO Latin-2. Latin2 is the appropriate character set for use
    >in your region of the world.

    Mr. Altman, I appreciate your will to help. And I know, that my
    english is terrible. But I know how to read hex or octal codes
    and how to get a hexdump.
    Maybe you look at that dia.gif I posted. Since VMS 3.x and VT52 we
    are using a 7-bit "whatever" is code on VMS unchanged since then.
    In Reflection we configure it as VT420-7bit with Eastern Europe 7-bit
    character set. I don't care what standard it is, because there is a
    big mess with those standards. As a user, I am only interested in the
    functionality: "does it work or not?" And for a computer user it
    is sometimes not easy to live in a non-english and small country.

    I don't know what kind of standard is this, but it is described here
    http://www.borut.com/library/s_646yu.htm . It is host (VMS)
    character set we are using and is supported on VT terminals
    and (some) terminal emulators.

    And on the PC side it is http://www.borut.com/library/s_1250.htm

    >I am sure that Kermit 95 does what you need it to do.

    I am glad to see this, please just tell me how to make it work.

    Thanks!

    >Jeffrey Altman
    >Kermit 95 Author

  14. Re: Character set - dia.gif (0/1)

    Frenki wrote:

    > I think it was ASCII, but with modified keyboard and display drivers.

    ASCII is "U.S. ASCII" and it does not contain special characters for
    other regions.

    >>I am sure that Kermit 95 does what you need it to do. More then likely
    >>you were not using NRC mode with your application and in fact were using
    >>8-bit ISO Latin-2. Latin2 is the appropriate character set for use
    >>in your region of the world.

    > Mr. Altman, I appreciate your will to help. And I know, that my
    > english is terrible. But I know how to read hex or octal codes
    > and how to get a hexdump.

    Maybe you can send what was requested. If you collect a session.log
    and send it for analysis it will be clear what the host is asking of the
    terminal.

    > Maybe you look at that dia.gif I posted. Since VMS 3.x and VT52 we
    > are using a 7-bit "whatever" is code on VMS unchanged since then.

    7-bit does not mean NRC. It means that you are using a 7-bit
    communication path to send code points between the host and the
    terminal. This does not preclude the use of ISO Latin2 (an 8-bit
    character set) for display.

    > In Reflection we configure it as VT420-7bit with Eastern Europe 7-bit
    > character set. I don't care what standard it is, because there is a
    > big mess with those standards.

    You better care about the standards because if you don't you are not
    going to get Kermit 95 to work. Kermit 95 adheres to standards. In
    this case you need to:

    SET TERMINAL TYPE VT320
    SET TERMINAL REMOTE-CHARACTER-SET LATIN2-ISO
    SET TERMINAL VT-LANGUAGE SLOVAK
    SET TERMINAL VT-NRC-MODE OFF ; the default
    SET TERMINAL BYTESIZE 7
    SET TERMINAL CONTROLS 7

    > As a user, I am only interested in the
    > functionality: "does it work or not?" And for a computer user it
    > is sometimes not easy to live in a non-english and small country.

    It is not easy to provide help to someone that does not provide the
    requested data. Binary data streams from the host to the terminal
    are language agnostic. You could speak Martian and it wouldn't matter.

    > I don't know what kind of standard is this, but it is described here
    > http://www.borut.com/library/s_646yu.htm . It is host (VMS)
    > character set we are using and is supported on VT terminals
    > and (some) terminal emulators.

    This character set is not supported in Kermit 95. Nor is it supported
    in any DEC VT terminal that I have ever used from a 102 through the 525.
    Perhaps they are only sold outside the United States. The U.S. versions
    support the special keyboard but do not support NRC mode.

    > And on the PC side it is http://www.borut.com/library/s_1250.htm

    This is the Microsoft compatible version of ISO Latin 2. However, it
    is irrelevant in this discussion because Kermit 95 uses UNICODE to
    display data on the terminal side (Windows.)

    This is the ISO Latin2 set which is supported by the VT terminals
    and Kermit 95:

    http://www.borut.com/library/s_88592.htm

    >>I am sure that Kermit 95 does what you need it to do.

    > I am glad to see this, please just tell me how to make it work.

    Provide the requested information and it will be a lot easier to do so.
    Unfortunately, if you insist on doing things your way, you won't get
    what you want.

    Jeffrey Altman
    Kermit 95 Author

    --
    -----------------

  15. Re: Character set - dia.gif (0/1) - session.zip (0/1)

    >Provide the requested information and it will be a lot easier to do so.
    >Unfortunately, if you insist on doing things your way, you won't get
    >what you want.
    >
    >Jeffrey Altman
    >Kermit 95 Author

    OK, here it is: session.log in sesison.zip

    Thanks!

  16. Re: Character set - dia.gif (0/1) - session.zip (0/1)

    The log you sent shows no attempt to query the type of terminal.
    If fact it shows no attempts by the host to configure the terminal
    at all. Since all that is being sent is a stream of 7-bit code points
    encoded using the character set you posted yesterday.

    Unfortunately, this character set is not implemented in Kermit 95
    because it was not documented in any of the DEC VT terminal manuals.

    I can add this character set to Kermit 95 but I can only make it
    available according to the terms described on

    http://www.columbia.edu/~jaltman/

    Jeffrey Altman

  17. Re: Character set - dia.gif (0/1) - session.zip (0/1)

    On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 08:52:41 GMT, Jeffrey Altman
    wrote:

    >The log you sent shows no attempt to query the type of terminal.
    >If fact it shows no attempts by the host to configure the terminal
    >at all. Since all that is being sent is a stream of 7-bit code points
    >encoded using the character set you posted yesterday.

    Maybe in K95, but I am looking at the traffic on the telnet port with
    EtherSnoop http://www.arechisoft.com/ and the 7-bit codes
    are pure US ASCII codes http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ascii.html

    US ASCII - 5B
    ([) 91 133 5B LEFT SQUARE BRACKET

    Slovenian - 5B
    LATIN CAPITAL LETTER S WITH CARON S< 133 91 5B [

    and in the packet form the PC to VMS is 5B, VMS returns 5B to PC
    , VMS writes to file 5B ... and does not care about character-set,
    it is 7-bit code.

    On my keyboard is a key for for Slovene chracter
    LATIN CAPITAL LETTER S WITH CARON in the same
    place as on your keyboard a LEFT SQUARE BRACKET.

    It is up to the terminal or emulator to convert it to the right code
    which is sent to the host. When VMS returns the same code
    to convert it to the right code in the PC character set (8A)
    - CP1250
    LATIN CAPITAL LETTER S WITH CARON S< 212 138 8A
    and to map the code to the right glyph in the font to display it
    correctly.

    >Unfortunately, this character set is not implemented in Kermit 95
    >because it was not documented in any of the DEC VT terminal manuals.

    Unfortunately I know this, because I evaluated abot 15 terminal
    emulators and only Reflection was working without problems.
    But when I sent a dia.gif to Rasmussen Software
    http://www.anzio.com/ , they fixed it in few hours.

    Unfortunately they don't have Linux version and unfortunately
    it looks like in C-kermit this is not implemented either.

    Thanks for your help,
    Franci Vogrin

    >I can add this character set to Kermit 95 but I can only make it
    >available according to the terms described on
    >
    > http://www.columbia.edu/~jaltman/
    >
    >Jeffrey Altman

  18. Re: Character set - dia.gif (0/1) - session.zip (0/1)

    Frenki wrote:

    > On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 08:52:41 GMT, Jeffrey Altman
    > wrote:
    >

    >>The log you sent shows no attempt to query the type of terminal.
    >>If fact it shows no attempts by the host to configure the terminal
    >>at all. Since all that is being sent is a stream of 7-bit code points
    >>encoded using the character set you posted yesterday.

    > Maybe in K95, but I am looking at the traffic on the telnet port with
    > EtherSnoop http://www.arechisoft.com/ and the 7-bit codes
    > are pure US ASCII codes http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ascii.html
    >
    > US ASCII - 5B
    > ([) 91 133 5B LEFT SQUARE BRACKET
    >
    > Slovenian - 5B
    > LATIN CAPITAL LETTER S WITH CARON S< 133 91 5B [
    >
    > and in the packet form the PC to VMS is 5B, VMS returns 5B to PC
    > , VMS writes to file 5B ... and does not care about character-set,
    > it is 7-bit code.
    >
    > On my keyboard is a key for for Slovene chracter
    > LATIN CAPITAL LETTER S WITH CARON in the same
    > place as on your keyboard a LEFT SQUARE BRACKET.
    >
    > It is up to the terminal or emulator to convert it to the right code
    > which is sent to the host. When VMS returns the same code
    > to convert it to the right code in the PC character set (8A)
    > - CP1250
    > LATIN CAPITAL LETTER S WITH CARON S< 212 138 8A
    > and to map the code to the right glyph in the font to display it
    > correctly.

    It is the responsibility of the terminal to take any given code
    point (all code points are simply numbers) and look it up in a character
    set table based upon the terminal state.

    My point about the lack of escape codes is that the host is not
    informing the terminal which character set it expects the code points
    to represent. Therefore, manual configuration is required.

    >>Unfortunately, this character set is not implemented in Kermit 95
    >>because it was not documented in any of the DEC VT terminal manuals.

    > Unfortunately I know this, because I evaluated abot 15 terminal
    > emulators and only Reflection was working without problems.
    > But when I sent a dia.gif to Rasmussen Software
    > http://www.anzio.com/ , they fixed it in few hours.

    If you had sent this request to kermit-support@columbia.edu prior
    to November 2002 when I lost my job working on Kermit 95 and C-Kermit,
    I would have had the additional character set added to a test build in
    about 15 minutes. Adding a new character set is trivial.

    What causes problems is the fact that I no longer work for Columbia
    University and Columbia owns Kermit 95. Therefore, I simply can't just
    make changes and distribute them. I also need to get paid when I do
    work in order to pay the rent.

    > Unfortunately they don't have Linux version and unfortunately
    > it looks like in C-kermit this is not implemented either.

    If the character set was added to Kermit 95 it would show up in C-Kermit
    as well. To this extent the products use a shared code base.

    Jeffrey Altman

    --
    -----------------

  19. Re: Character set - dia.gif (0/1) - session.zip (0/1)

    On 2004-12-16, Frenki wrote:
    :>Unfortunately, this character set is not implemented in Kermit 95
    :>because it was not documented in any of the DEC VT terminal manuals.
    :
    : Unfortunately I know this, because I evaluated abot 15 terminal
    : emulators and only Reflection was working without problems.
    : But when I sent a dia.gif to Rasmussen Software
    : http://www.anzio.com/ , they fixed it in few hours.
    :
    : Unfortunately they don't have Linux version and unfortunately
    : it looks like in C-kermit this is not implemented either.
    :
    I'll put this on my list, since it is indeed an ISO-registered
    character set: "ISO 646, the Serbocroatian and Slovenian Latin Alphabet,
    Registration Number 144, 1 November 1987", corresponding to Yugoslavian
    Standard JUS I.B1.002. Nobody ever requested it before. Amusingly, I
    know hundreds of experts who swear that nobody on earth has used an ISO
    646 variant (other than ASCII) for the last 10-15 years.

    - Frank

  20. Re: Character set - dia.gif (0/1) - session.zip (0/1)

    On 17 Dec 2004 19:34:02 GMT, Frank da Cruz wrote:

    >On 2004-12-16, Frenki wrote:
    >:>Unfortunately, this character set is not implemented in Kermit 95
    >:>because it was not documented in any of the DEC VT terminal manuals.
    >:
    >: Unfortunately I know this, because I evaluated abot 15 terminal
    >: emulators and only Reflection was working without problems.
    >: But when I sent a dia.gif to Rasmussen Software
    >: http://www.anzio.com/ , they fixed it in few hours.
    >:
    >: Unfortunately they don't have Linux version and unfortunately
    >: it looks like in C-kermit this is not implemented either.
    >:
    >I'll put this on my list, since it is indeed an ISO-registered
    >character set: "ISO 646, the Serbocroatian and Slovenian Latin Alphabet,
    >Registration Number 144, 1 November 1987", corresponding to Yugoslavian
    >Standard JUS I.B1.002. Nobody ever requested it before. Amusingly, I
    >know hundreds of experts who swear that nobody on earth has used an ISO
    >646 variant (other than ASCII) for the last 10-15 years.
    >
    >- Frank

    Maybe because there is no more Yugoslavia and all the new countries
    are small and unimportant ;-)

    We have no problems with a single platform, access to VMS works fine
    with 7-bit and to Linux with 8-bit. We develop applications on VMS for
    about 20 years and are not able to switch them to 8-bit.
    When we started with client-server on VMS we had same problems and
    now we convert those diacriticals on the fly on the server side
    before/after transfer to the Win thin client.
    But now we a have a mixed server case (VMS an Linux) with Linux
    and Windows clients and two totaly different worlds (Oracle and
    character cell applications). And our friends on the Linux side are
    not able to find a terminal emulator capable to work vith our VMS
    server. We tried Reflection for the Web, but it has the same problem
    with those diacriticals. A perfect solution would be to use the same
    emulator for connections from Linux client to VMS and Linux servers.
    And C-Kermit could be a solution.

    Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread