DIAL Failure: "OK" - Protocols

This is a discussion on DIAL Failure: "OK" - Protocols ; Hello I hope someone can help me with my troubles on my new PC running a new kermit version. I run kermit 8.0.209 on an RedHat Enterprise Linux 3.0 and get often(not always) a Dial falure while I open a ...

  1. DIAL Failure: "OK"

    Hello
    I hope someone can help me with my troubles on my new PC running a new
    kermit version.

    I run kermit 8.0.209 on an RedHat Enterprise Linux 3.0 and get often(not
    always) a Dial falure while I open a dialup connection. Sometimes the
    connection terminates and sometimes it is working normal also when the
    error message appears.
    I have also tried kermit 8.0.211 but it is still the same, erlier on my
    old PC with kermit 6.0 I had never such a problem.
    The error happens after the dialing command "ATDxxxxx" but this is the
    strange thing because it is an "OK" message and kermit thinks it is an
    error. Normaly this happens the first time when I open kermit and later
    try's are working well.

    For debugging I "set dial display on" to see better what is happening:

    C-Kermit 8.0.211, 10 Apr 2004, for Red Hat Linux 9.0
    Copyright (C) 1985, 2004,
    Trustees of Columbia University in the City of New York.
    Type ? or HELP for help.
    /usr/kermit/izyxel/ (/dev/ttyS4)>take test

    Trying: 56913...
    Device: /dev/ttyS4, modem: zyxel, speed: 115200
    Dial timeout: 100 seconds
    To cancel: type your interrupt character (normally Ctrl-C).
    +++
    ATQ0H0

    ATQ0H0
    OK
    Modem hangup OK
    Initializing: 20:50:41...
    ATQ0
    ATQ0
    OK
    AT&H3
    OK
    ATQ0E1&N0X5&Y1
    OK
    AT&K3
    OK
    AT&K4
    OK
    ATM1L2
    OK
    ATS2=43S7=100
    OK
    Dialing: 20:50:42...
    ATD56913

    OK
    DIAL Failure: 20:50:42: "OK"

    *************************
    DIAL-class command failed.
    Modem type: zyxel
    Device: /dev/ttyS4
    Speed: 115200
    Dial status: 20 [Modem command error]
    . Are you sure you have chosen the appropriate modem type?
    . Maybe the interface speed (115200) is too fast:
    SET SPEED to a lower speed and try again.
    SET SPEED ? to see the list of valid speeds.
    . SET MODEM HANGUP-METHOD RS232 and try again.
    . If that doesn't work, try again with SET DIAL HANGUP OFF.
    . SHOW COMMUNICATIONS, SHOW MODEM, SHOW DIAL to see current settings.
    . HELP SET MODEM, HELP SET DIAL, and HELP DIAL for more information.
    (Use SET HINTS OFF to suppress future hints.)
    *************************

    Connecting to /dev/ttyS4, speed 115200
    Escape character: Ctrl-Z (ASCII 26, SUB): enabled
    Type the escape character followed by C to get back,
    or followed by ? to see other options.

    The problematic modem is a Zyxel Elite 2864i, and I tried now another
    modem(USR Sportster Flash) and found out that this is working normal.
    I tested also different Firmware versions for Zyxel but it was always
    the same!
    On the old machine(with kermit v.6) is everything working fine(each
    modem) but on my new one troubles with all Zyxel Elite 2864i modems.

    Thanks in advance

    Walter

  2. Re: DIAL Failure: "OK"

    I think you have identified the problem twice.
    First your system works normally with one modem and fails
    with another. Another is a problem!

    Second you are not getting "OK" response some times.
    In the clip from your post shown below twice the response was not "ok".
    First the response was a blank (I assume) line. (to ATQ0H0)
    The second was a blank line followed by "ok". That is not "ok".

    Walter Wagner wrote:
    > Hello
    > ATQ0H0
    >
    > ATQ0H0
    > OK
    > Modem hangup OK
    > Initializing: 20:50:41...
    > Dialing: 20:50:42...
    > ATD56913
    >
    > OK
    > DIAL Failure: 20:50:42: "OK"

    Regards...Dan.

  3. Re: DIAL Failure: "OK"

    Thanks for the Hint!
    This gave me motivation to do some further tests, and i found out that the
    problem was in my old initialization file which worked for Kermit 6 but not
    for Kermit 8.

    I used the output command to do modem initialization and to set the ISDN MSN
    numbers(for callback). The following "kermrcS4" init file worked well with
    kermit 6.
    (i used this command to start kermit: kermit -y kermrcS4)
    out AT&F\{13}
    input 1 OK
    out ATZ\{13}
    input 1 OK
    out AT&o0\{13}
    input 1 OK
    out AT&L1\{13}
    input 1 OK
    out AT&ZI0=29\{13}
    input 1 OK
    out AT&ZI1=29\{13}
    input 1 OK
    out AT&ZI2=29\{13}
    input 1 OK

    Now I use the "set modem command init-string" instead the "output" command
    and this works on Kermit 8.
    SET MODEM COMMAND INIT-STRING
    AT&FZ&o0&L1&ZI0=29&ZI1=29&ZI2=29&ZI3=29&ZI4=29&ZI6=29\13

    Sure now the initialization is now done shortly before the dialout happens
    and erlier it was done when i started kermit, but this is OK so far.

    If there is better solution which can do the MSN settings... during kermit
    start, then i would prefer it!
    Otherwise i let it as it is now.

    In my opinion the problem is that the zyxel modem is somtimes not
    answering(or answering too slow) and then it happens that the OK from a
    previous command comes back while dialing. And the result is:
    > > ATD56913
    > >
    > > OK
    > > DIAL Failure: 20:50:42: "OK"

    I tried also some other "input" commands, for example: input -1 OK\13\10
    and the failure happend rarely but it was not completly solved!
    And maybe the reason why my USR Modem is working perfect(also with output
    commands), could be because it is an analog modem and there is no need to
    set so much MSN numbers.

    Thanks/Regards
    Walter

    schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:1102429542.133619.87860@c13g2000cwb.googlegro ups.com...
    > I think you have identified the problem twice.
    > First your system works normally with one modem and fails
    > with another. Another is a problem!
    >
    > Second you are not getting "OK" response some times.
    > In the clip from your post shown below twice the response was not "ok".
    > First the response was a blank (I assume) line. (to ATQ0H0)
    > The second was a blank line followed by "ok". That is not "ok".
    >
    > Walter Wagner wrote:
    > > Hello
    > > ATQ0H0
    > >
    > > ATQ0H0
    > > OK
    > > Modem hangup OK
    > > Initializing: 20:50:41...
    > > Dialing: 20:50:42...
    > > ATD56913
    > >
    > > OK
    > > DIAL Failure: 20:50:42: "OK"

    > Regards...Dan.

  4. Re: DIAL Failure: "OK"

    On 2004-12-10, Walter Wagner wrote:
    :...
    : In my opinion the problem is that the zyxel modem is somtimes not
    : answering(or answering too slow) and then it happens that the OK from a
    : previous command comes back while dialing. And the result is:
    :> > ATD56913
    :> >
    :> > OK
    :> > DIAL Failure: 20:50:42: "OK"
    :
    The DIAL command takes common kinds of problems and modem misbehavior into
    account, so it tends to work better than simple OUTPUT/INPUT scripts,
    especially ones that don't check for failure and take corrective action.
    If you SET DIAL DISPLAY ON you can watch what happens when you give a DIAL
    command. If something goes wrong, it retries the operation and/or adapts
    automatically in various ways.

    : I tried also some other "input" commands, for example: input -1 OK\13\10
    : and the failure happend rarely but it was not completly solved!
    : And maybe the reason why my USR Modem is working perfect(also with output
    : commands), could be because it is an analog modem and there is no need to
    : set so much MSN numbers.
    :
    INPUT has a timeout, and no matter what you value you give (except -1), it
    might not be long enough. If you make it too long, then it takes too long
    to detect an error. If you make it too short, it reports an error when
    it might have succeeded. In any given situation, use trial and error to
    arrive at the best value, and code your script to do what you would do
    if an error occurred, e.g. reissue the command and wait again (perhaps for
    a longer time) for the response. You can find a lot of examples in the
    script library:

    http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckscripts.html

    e.g. OUTPUT followed by a looping INPUT, in which actions are governed by
    the loop counter.

    - Frank

+ Reply to Thread