Newbie question for telnet sessions - Protocols

This is a discussion on Newbie question for telnet sessions - Protocols ; Hi, I am very new to Kermit95; but have managed to cover the basics of telnetting to my devices and writing a login script, etc. The one item I can't find in the docs though is how to stop the ...

  1. Newbie question for telnet sessions

    Hi,

    I am very new to Kermit95; but have managed to cover the basics of
    telnetting to my devices and writing a login script, etc.

    The one item I can't find in the docs though is how to stop the whole
    session window from closing after a telnet session is expired by a router
    timeout. I would like the window to stay open with all of the received
    output from the session still available for copy, etc.

    I have looked through the doc; but I may not be looking for the proper
    terminology?

    Any help would be appreciated,

    Nick

  2. Re: Newbie question for telnet sessions

    Nick Leachman wrote:

    > The one item I can't find in the docs though is how to stop the whole
    > session window from closing after a telnet session is expired by a

    router
    > timeout. I would like the window to stay open with all of the

    received
    > output from the session still available for copy, etc.

    What you want is the command

    set exit on-disconnect off

    You can issue this command in your login script if you're using the
    dialer or in one of the k95site.ini or k95custom.ini files.

    --
    Mark Sapiro msapiro at value net The highway is for gamblers,

  3. Re: Newbie question for telnet sessions

    On 2004-11-23, Mark Sapiro wrote:
    :
    : Nick Leachman wrote:
    :> The one item I can't find in the docs though is how to stop the whole
    :> session window from closing after a telnet session is expired by a router
    :> timeout. I would like the window to stay open with all of the received
    :> output from the session still available for copy, etc.
    :
    : What you want is the command
    :
    : set exit on-disconnect off
    :
    : You can issue this command in your login script if you're using the
    : dialer or in one of the k95site.ini or k95custom.ini files.
    :
    That's not exactly it. It prevents Kermit 95 from terminating, but not
    from returning to its command screen, which always happens automatically
    whenever a network connection closes (or a serial connection loses the
    Carrier signal and CARRIER-WATCH is not OFF).

    You can go back and visit a closed session in read-only mode with the
    VIEW command. In this mode, your status line says VIEW ONLY on the right,
    and any keystrokes that would send data to the host are ignored, but you
    can still scroll the session back, print the screen, copy with the mouse,
    or save the scrollback buffer to a file.

    Should you wish Kermit to remain in its terminal screen after a network
    connection is broken, automatically switching to VIEW mode, you could use
    a little script like this:

    set host somehost.com
    if fail stop 1 "Can't creat session"
    while true {
    connect
    if not open connection {
    view
    break
    }
    }

    The only problem with this is that you can't escape back during a session
    and give commands at the prompt. In case you need to do that too:

    set host somehost.com
    if fail stop 1 "Can't creat session"
    while true {
    connect
    if not open connection {
    view
    break
    } else {
    prompt
    }
    }

    The PROMPT command enters a kind of "subshell" (an inferior command level).
    To return to the script (i.e. to the CONNECT loop), you would type "end"
    instead of "connect".

    - Frank

+ Reply to Thread