abusing kermit for Xmodem uploads - Protocols

This is a discussion on abusing kermit for Xmodem uploads - Protocols ; Hi, I'm trying to do Xmodem uploads from a NetBSD 2.0 system to a Soekris net4501 using kermit and lrzsz. I know how to do this using tip(1)/cu(1) and lrzsz, but I'd like to achieve the same using kermit. However, ...

  1. abusing kermit for Xmodem uploads

    Hi,

    I'm trying to do Xmodem uploads from a NetBSD 2.0 system to a
    Soekris net4501 using kermit and lrzsz. I know how to do this
    using tip(1)/cu(1) and lrzsz, but I'd like to achieve the same
    using kermit. However, I've never used kermit before...

    When using tip, I connect to the corresponding serial port, use
    the "download" to put the net4501 in "receive mode", use tip's ~C
    escape to fork a child process, and start uploading the file
    with "lsz -X file".

    How can I do this with kermit? So far I tried the following kermit
    commands:

    set protocol xmodem-crc download {} {lsx %s} {} {lrx %s} {}
    set line /dev/tty00
    set speed 9600
    set carrier-watch off
    set flow-control xon/xoff
    send /binary file

    but this fails:

    Sending file, 608 blocks: Give your local XMODEM receive command now.
    Xmodem sectors/kbytes sent: 0/ 0kRetry 0: Got 52 for sector ACK
    Retry 0: NAK on sector
    Retry 0: Got 20 for sector ACK
    Retry 0: Cancelled

    Transfer incomplete

    *************************
    SEND-class command failed.
    Packets sent: 0
    Retransmissions: 0
    Timeouts: 0
    Damaged packets: 0

    HINTS... If the preceding error message does not explain the failure:
    . Did you start a Kermit receiver on the far end?
    . Try it again with SET STREAMING OFF.
    . Try it again with SET PARITY SPACE.
    . As a last resort, give a ROBUST command and try again.
    Also:
    . Be sure the source file has read permission.
    . Be sure the target directory has write permission.
    (Use SET HINTS OFF to suppress hints.)
    *************************

    A diff between stty outputs when using tip and when using kermit
    gives:

    $ diff tty00.kermit tty00.tip
    5,6c5,6
    < iflags: -istrip -icrnl -inlcr -igncr ixon ixoff -ixany imaxbel ignbrk
    < brkint -inpck ignpar -parmrk
    ---
    > iflags: -istrip -icrnl -inlcr -igncr ixon ixoff ixany imaxbel -ignbrk
    > brkint -inpck -ignpar -parmrk

    Help is appreciated!

    Regards, Jukka

    [1] http://www.ohse.de/uwe/software/lrzsz.html

    --
    bashian roulette:
    $ ((RANDOM%6)) || rm -rf ~

  2. Re: abusing kermit for Xmodem uploads

    :
    : When using tip, I connect to the corresponding serial port, use
    : the "download" to put the net4501 in "receive mode", use tip's ~C
    : escape to fork a child process, and start uploading the file
    : with "lsz -X file".
    :
    : How can I do this with kermit? So far I tried the following kermit
    : commands:
    :
    : set protocol xmodem-crc download {} {lsx %s} {} {lrx %s} {}
    : set line /dev/tty00
    : set speed 9600
    : set carrier-watch off
    : set flow-control xon/xoff
    : send /binary file
    :
    : but this fails:
    :
    Try telling Kermit to "set flow rts/cts" or (if that doesn't work)
    "set flow none". Xon/Xoff flow control is incompatible with Xmodem
    protocol.

    - Frank

+ Reply to Thread