FTP/TLS site commands - Protocols

This is a discussion on FTP/TLS site commands - Protocols ; I'm trying to figure out how to issue a SITE command to change my password, which the vendor requires that I do monthly. They have a chgpsw command that I'm supposed to use. I've included the session where I'm trying ...

  1. FTP/TLS site commands

    I'm trying to figure out how to issue a SITE command to change my
    password, which the vendor requires that I do monthly. They have a
    chgpsw command that I'm supposed to use. I've included the session
    where I'm trying to issue the command.

    Thanks,

    David Barr

    C-Kermit 8.0.209, 17 Mar 2003, for IBM AIX 4.3
    Copyright (C) 1985, 2003,
    Trustees of Columbia University in the City of New York.
    Type ? or HELP for help.
    (/home/hci/tmp/fhsc/) C-Kermit>set ftp authtype tls
    (/home/hci/tmp/fhsc/) C-Kermit>set auth tls verify no
    (/home/hci/tmp/fhsc/) C-Kermit>ftp open secureftp.fhsc.com 21000
    Connected to secureftp.fhsc.com.
    TLS accepted as authentication type
    [TLS - DHE-RSA-AES128-SHA SSLv3 Kx=DH Au=RSA Enc=AES(128)
    Mac=SHA1
    Compression: None
    FTP Command channel is Private (encrypted)
    FTP Data channel is Private (encrypted)
    Name (secureftp.fhsc.com:hci): 1344
    Password:
    user logged in
    You have successfully logged in to SecureFTP.FHSC.com.
    user logged in
    Switching LOCUS for file-management commands to REMOTE.
    Remote system type is UNIX.
    Default transfer mode is BINARY
    (/home/hci/tmp/fhsc/) C-Kermit>ftp quote site chgpsw oldpw newpw newpw
    SITE unknown option
    (/home/hci/tmp/fhsc/) C-Kermit>ftp quote chgpsw oldpw newpw newpw
    illegal command
    (/home/hci/tmp/fhsc/) C-Kermit>ftp quote "chgpsw oldpw newpw newpw"
    illegal command
    (/home/hci/tmp/fhsc/) C-Kermit>ftp site chgpsw oldpw newpw newpw
    SITE unknown option
    (/home/hci/tmp/fhsc/) C-Kermit>ftp site "chgpsw oldpw newpw newpw"
    SITE unknown option
    (/home/hci/tmp/fhsc/) C-Kermit>quit
    Good-Bye
    221-************************************************** **********************
    221-First Health Services appreciates your business. Thank You.
    221-************************************************** **********************
    Good-Bye

  2. Re: FTP/TLS site commands

    On 2004-09-30, David Barr wrote:
    : I'm trying to figure out how to issue a SITE command to change my
    : password, which the vendor requires that I do monthly. They have a
    : chgpsw command that I'm supposed to use. I've included the session
    : where I'm trying to issue the command.
    :
    Try "help ftp site" and then if you see "chgpsw" then
    "help ftp site chgpsw".

    - Frank

  3. Re: FTP/TLS site commands

    Frank da Cruz wrote:

    > On 2004-09-30, David Barr wrote:
    > : I'm trying to figure out how to issue a SITE command to change my
    > : password, which the vendor requires that I do monthly. They have a
    > : chgpsw command that I'm supposed to use. I've included the session
    > : where I'm trying to issue the command.
    > :
    > Try "help ftp site" and then if you see "chgpsw" then
    > "help ftp site chgpsw".
    >
    > - Frank

    I believe Frank meant "FTP SITE HELP"

    --
    -----------------

  4. Re: FTP/TLS site commands

    Jeffrey Altman wrote:
    > Frank da Cruz wrote:
    >
    >> On 2004-09-30, David Barr wrote:
    >> : I'm trying to figure out how to issue a SITE command to change my
    >> : password, which the vendor requires that I do monthly. They have a
    >> : chgpsw command that I'm supposed to use. I've included the session
    >> : where I'm trying to issue the command.
    >> :
    >> Try "help ftp site" and then if you see "chgpsw" then
    >> "help ftp site chgpsw".
    >>
    >> - Frank

    > I believe Frank meant "FTP SITE HELP"

    "FTP SITE HELP" gives me another Kermit prompt without any output.

    "FTP SITE CHGPSW" gives "SITE unknown option".

    "FTP SITE HELP CHGPSW" gives "SITE unknown option".

    Any other ideas?

    Thanks,

    David

  5. Re: FTP/TLS site commands

    If you are received "SITE unknown option" that is coming
    from the First Health FTP Server. I suggest you contact
    their technical support folks.

    Jeffrey Altman

    --
    -----------------

  6. Re: FTP/TLS site commands

    Jeffrey Altman wrote:
    > If you are received "SITE unknown option" that is coming
    > from the First Health FTP Server. I suggest you contact
    > their technical support folks.
    >
    > Jeffrey Altman

    I've contacted their tech support, and we have found a problem with
    their site command. However, the Kermit "ftp site help" command seems
    to be broken. Here's a session where I tried to use it:

    C-Kermit 8.0.211, 10 Apr 2004, for IBM AIX 4.3
    Copyright (C) 1985, 2004,
    Trustees of Columbia University in the City of New York.
    Type ? or HELP for help.
    (/home/hci/) C-Kermit>set ftp auth tls
    (/home/hci/) C-Kermit>set auth tls verify no
    (/home/hci/) C-Kermit>ftp open secureftp.fhsc.com 21000
    Connected to secureftp.fhsc.com.
    TLS accepted as authentication type
    [TLS - DHE-RSA-AES128-SHA SSLv3 Kx=DH Au=RSA Enc=AES(128)
    Mac=SHA1
    Compression: None
    FTP Command channel is Private (encrypted)
    FTP Data channel is Private (encrypted)
    Name (secureftp.fhsc.com:hci): 1344
    Password:
    user logged in
    You have successfully logged in to SecureFTP.FHSC.com.
    user logged in
    Switching LOCUS for file-management commands to REMOTE.
    Remote system type is UNIX.
    (/home/hci/) C-Kermit>ftp site help
    (/home/hci/) C-Kermit>quit
    Good-Bye
    221-************************************************** **********************
    221-First Health Services appreciates your business. Thank You.
    221-************************************************** **********************
    Good-Bye

    And here is a copy of the same commands on another FTP client:

    davidb@mythtv:~/secureftp2/secureftp$ ./ftps.sh secureftp.fhsc.com 21000
    Glub Tech Secure FTP v2.0.12 [20040120]
    Copyright (c) 2000-04 Glub Tech, Inc.

    !!! WARNING !!!: This is a non-standard port for FTP over SSL.

    Continuing connection attempt...
    Attempting to make an implicit SSL connection to secureftp.fhsc.com on
    port 21000.
    Connection failed: Unrecognized SSL message, plaintext connection?
    Attempting to make an explicit SSL connection to secureftp.fhsc.com on
    port 21000.
    220-SecureFTP.fhsc.com X2 WS_FTP Server 4.0.2 (92389617)
    220-******************************************
    220-******************************************
    220-** This server is restricted to **
    220-** authorized First Health Services **
    220-** business only. Unauthorized **
    220-** access is strictly prohibited. **
    220-******************************************
    220-******************************************
    220 SecureFTP.fhsc.com X2 WS_FTP Server 4.0.2 (92389617)
    AUTH TLS
    234 SSL enabled and waiting for negotiation
    PBSZ 0
    200 PBSZ=0
    PROT P
    200 PRIVATE data channel protection level set
    Name (secureftp.fhsc.com:davidb): 1344
    USER 1344
    331 Password required
    Password:
    PASS **********
    230-user logged in
    230-************************************************** ********************
    230-You have successfully logged in to SecureFTP.FHSC.com.
    230-************************************************** ********************
    230 user logged in
    Type set to auto.
    ftps> site help
    SITE help
    214-The following SITE commands are supported
    CPWD password (change password)
    GMT (use GMT for filetimes)
    ULT (use local time for filetimes)
    UTF8 (force use of UTF8)
    HELP
    214 SITE command successful
    ftps> quit
    QUIT
    221-Good-Bye
    221-************************************************** **********************
    221-First Health Services appreciates your business. Thank You.
    221-************************************************** **********************
    221 Good-Bye

  7. Re: FTP/TLS site commands

    David Barr wrote:

    > I've contacted their tech support, and we have found a problem with
    > their site command. However, the Kermit "ftp site help" command seems
    > to be broken. Here's a session where I tried to use it:

    This does appear to be a bug. If you turn on ftp verbose mode

    SET FTP VERBOSE ON

    then you will see the output. The Kermit FTP response processor
    must look for 214 messages and display them even when verbose mode is
    off.

    Jeffrey Altman

    --