[May be OT] Help !! - How to download USENET News **in-spite** of firewall blocks - Protocols

This is a discussion on [May be OT] Help !! - How to download USENET News **in-spite** of firewall blocks - Protocols ; How to download USENET News **in-spite** of firewall blocks or How to circumvent firewall blocks ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Hi Members Forgive my intrusion into your in-box I'm working from behind a company firewall and looks like my Admin has blocked port ...

  1. [May be OT] Help !! - How to download USENET News **in-spite** of firewall blocks

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Hi Members

    Forgive my intrusion into your in-box

    I'm working from behind a company firewall and looks like my
    Admin has blocked port 119 or done something to avoid me getting
    to any news server. All I can do for the moment is to use
    Google's web facility to read and post to the USENET

    Here's my statistics

    OS : Win XP
    Browsers tried : Mozilla 1.7.x, Mozilla Firefox 0.9.x
    Mail clients available / tried : Outlook 2003, Outlook express 5.x
    News readers Tried : Gravity (from SOurceforge) and OE 5

    My situation

    I can
    - easily browse and send web mail,
    - read and send POP, IMAP mail,
    but cannot get connected to news servers (I've tried a few from
    Newzbot.com)

    I can ping yahoo from my command prompt but can't ping news
    servers from my command prompt

    I've tried to set up news servers on Mozilla and
    Outlook Exp newsreaders but get a time out message - I guess
    because of something on my firewall

    questions

    ****Is there a way out ??****. i.e. Is there a way to
    - Check which ports are blocked by my firewall
    - Connect to some news-server in spite of the firewall blocking
    - Read and post to the Usenet
    - I don't need binaries
    - are there servers that convert specific groups post to mail ?
    (reverse of mail2news) which can be used **without my PC connecting**
    to news servers

    What should I do and where should I begin

    I tried a few port scanners like the free ones at
    http://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?rh1dkyd2
    But I suspect that they are NOT effective as I am behind a
    firewall

    Regards

    ........../...........

  2. Re: [May be OT] Help !! - How to download USENET News **in-spite** of firewall blocks

    posts_on_usenet@hotmail.com (posts) wrote in message news:<64457081.0408162255.4a8d4572@posting.google.com>...

    > My situation
    >
    > I can
    > - easily browse and send web mail,
    > - read and send POP, IMAP mail,
    > but cannot get connected to news servers (I've tried a few from
    > Newzbot.com)
    >
    > I can ping yahoo from my command prompt but can't ping news
    > servers from my command prompt
    >
    > I've tried to set up news servers on Mozilla and
    > Outlook Exp newsreaders but get a time out message - I guess
    > because of something on my firewall
    >

    > questions
    >
    > ****Is there a way out ??****. i.e. Is there a way to
    > - Check which ports are blocked by my firewall

    This doesn't seem to be a port blocking issue. Ping's are ICMP echo
    requests that don't have an associated port. Thus, if you can't ping
    any news servers, it's because they all don't respond to ping
    (unlikely) or are being blocked in some other way.

    --
    Mark Sapiro msapiro -at- value net The highway is for gamblers,