Setting the title? - Protocols

This is a discussion on Setting the title? - Protocols ; Once upon a time, I had an "xtitle" program that would set the title bar of an XTerm window, and I thought I had modified it so that if I was on a vt-kerm ( a name I made up, ...

  1. Setting the title?

    Once upon a time, I had an "xtitle" program that would set the title bar of
    an XTerm window, and I thought I had modified it so that if I was on a
    vt-kerm ( a name I made up, copied from vt220 ), it would send a couple of
    echoed escape strings to set the title of a K95 window.

    Somewhere, the Kermit part got lost.
    I have an xtitle that works for Xterm, and I have a script from Keith
    Peterson that sets MSDOS time, but I can't seem to blend those two.

    If I alt-x, I can
    set terminal text-string
    but from the connected unix window, if I
    echo '\033_set terminal apc unchecked\033\'
    echo '\033_set title text-string\033\'
    It doesn't set the title.
    This is on Kermit 95 2.1.3

    --
    ---

  2. Re: Setting the title?

    Both the Xterm SET WINDOW TITLE sequence and the DEC VT DECSWT
    sequences are supported by Kermit 95 to set the title of the
    window.

    The problem with your approach is that the host cannot change
    the value of the APC mode. If it could there would be no reason
    for having the APC commands be checked in the first place.

    Jeffrey Altman
    Kermit 95 Author
    Secure Endpoints Inc.

  3. Re: Setting the title?

    On 2004-07-27,
    :
    : Somewhere, the Kermit part got lost.
    : I have an xtitle that works for Xterm, and I have a script from Keith
    : Peterson that sets MSDOS time, but I can't seem to blend those two.
    :
    : If I alt-x, I can
    : set terminal text-string
    : but from the connected unix window, if I
    : echo '\033_set terminal apc unchecked\033\'
    : echo '\033_set title text-string\033\'
    : It doesn't set the title.
    : This is on Kermit 95 2.1.3
    :
    You can't SET TERM APC UNCHECKED in an APC sequence for obvious reasons!

    There's an escape sequence for setting the title which I can't seem to
    locate at the moment, but it's the same as the one used by DECterm
    (DEC's VT520-like xterm). I don't know offhand if that's the same one
    used by regular xterm or, if it is different, whether the regular xterm
    one works too.

    - Frank

  4. Re: Setting the title?

    Frank da Cruz wrote:
    > You can't SET TERM APC UNCHECKED in an APC sequence for obvious reasons!

    Just copying that from an old script from 1994 by Keith Peterson.
    I think you were in that thread somewhere, but it is an odd thought.

    --
    ---

  5. Re: Setting the title?

    Jeffrey Altman wrote:
    > Both the Xterm SET WINDOW TITLE sequence and the DEC VT DECSWT
    > sequences are supported by Kermit 95 to set the title of the
    > window.

    Here's what I'm sending to an Xterm successfully (the ^[ is really an
    embedded escape, and the ^G is an embedded control-g).
    echo "^[]0;$TITLE^G"
    If I send this to a K95 vt320 window, the screen scrolls up one line, but
    after that, I have no caharacters echoed to the screen. Keystorkes are
    still working, but I don't see anything on screen until I do alt=

    I've looked at a log session, and the string is arriving.

    --
    ---

  6. Re: Setting the title?

    dold@settingxth.usenet.us.com wrote:
    > Jeffrey Altman wrote:
    >> Both the Xterm SET WINDOW TITLE sequence and the DEC VT DECSWT
    >> sequences are supported by Kermit 95 to set the title of the
    >> window.

    > Here's what I'm sending to an Xterm successfully (the ^[ is really an
    > embedded escape, and the ^G is an embedded control-g).
    > echo "^[]0;$TITLE^G"
    > If I send this to a K95 vt320 window, the screen scrolls up one line, but
    > after that, I have no caharacters echoed to the screen. Keystorkes are
    > still working, but I don't see anything on screen until I do alt=

    > I've looked at a log session, and the string is arriving.

    A real DEC terminal would insist that the string be properly terminated
    (with a ST - code 0x9c or an ESC followed by backslash). xterm accepts
    a BEL (^G) for a terminator, probably because someone long ago decided
    the standard terminators were too much trouble to send in a shell script.

    XFree86 xterm accepts either -

    xterm supports ANSI color, VT220 emulation and UTF-8
    There's an faq at
    http://invisible-island.net/xterm/xterm.faq.html
    ftp://invisible-island.net/xterm/

    --