Use Comm Port #5 Q - Protocols

This is a discussion on Use Comm Port #5 Q - Protocols ; I have been told that I can only use Kermit through Comm Port # 1 or 2. Is it possible to use it through Comm Port #5? Thanks...

  1. Use Comm Port #5 Q

    I have been told that I can only use Kermit through Comm Port # 1 or 2. Is
    it possible to use it through Comm Port #5?

    Thanks

  2. Re: Use Comm Port #5 Q

    "John" wrote in message news:...
    > I have been told that I can only use Kermit through Comm Port # 1 or 2. Is
    > it possible to use it through Comm Port #5?

    With what Kermit program?

    MS-Kermit can use com1 through com4, but effectively can use any com
    port because it has the ability to associate any address and IRQ with
    any of com1 through com4

    I think Kermit-95 can use any serial port or modem that windows can
    see.

    The notion that Kermit (presumably MS-Kermit) can only use com1 or
    com2 is over 15 years out of date.

    --
    Mark Sapiro msapiro -at- value net The highway is for gamblers,

  3. Re: Use Comm Port #5 Q

    Thanks Mark for your reply, its K-95, what settings do I require to alter to
    communicate via Comm 5?

    Thanks

    news:deb126db.0407251954.26df3044@posting.google.c om...

    > > I have been told that I can only use Kermit through Comm Port # 1 or 2.

    Is
    > > it possible to use it through Comm Port #5?
    > >

    > With what Kermit program?
    >
    > MS-Kermit can use com1 through com4, but effectively can use any com
    > port because it has the ability to associate any address and IRQ with
    > any of com1 through com4
    >
    > I think Kermit-95 can use any serial port or modem that windows can
    > see.
    >
    > The notion that Kermit (presumably MS-Kermit) can only use com1 or
    > com2 is over 15 years out of date.
    >
    > --
    > Mark Sapiro msapiro -at- value net The highway is for gamblers,
    > San Francisco Bay Area, California better use your sense - B. Dylan

  4. Re: Use Comm Port #5 Q

    On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 07:44:56 +0100, "John" wrote:

    -Thanks Mark for your reply, its K-95, what settings do I require to alter to
    -communicate via Comm 5?

    SET PORT COM5
    or
    SET PORT 5
    or
    SET LINE 5

    as long as device manager recognises it as COM5, you should be OK.

    Then you'll need to SET SPEED xxx, and don't forget to SET FLOW XON (or
    whatever. XON if your serial cable has only 3 lines).

    Note, I've had variable success with PCI/USB serial ports - the latest K95
    manages pretty well to recognise and send data down add-on serial ports. Some of
    the earlier versions struggle with various different makes of serial port
    combined with various versions of windows.......

    regards

    -Rob
    robatwork at mail dot com

  5. Re: Use Comm Port #5 Q

    :
    : -Thanks Mark for your reply, its K-95, what settings do I require to alter to
    : -communicate via Comm 5?
    :
    : SET PORT COM5
    : or
    : SET PORT 5
    : or
    : SET LINE 5
    :
    : as long as device manager recognises it as COM5, you should be OK.
    :
    In case it doesn't, see:

    http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/k95faq.html#comport

    - Frank