Kermit 95 Handles Files Collisions Differently from MSKermit - Protocols

This is a discussion on Kermit 95 Handles Files Collisions Differently from MSKermit - Protocols ; Hello all, I have a question that is driving us crazy and causing terrible support issues. I'd appreciate knowing if anyone has or knows of a solution or where to find one. In the past, we have had MS-Kermit running ...

  1. Kermit 95 Handles Files Collisions Differently from MSKermit

    Hello all,

    I have a question that is driving us crazy and causing terrible
    support issues. I'd appreciate knowing if anyone has or knows of a
    solution or where to find one.

    In the past, we have had MS-Kermit running in server mode where
    clients dial in and deposit files. This MS-Kermit server has had its
    file collision set to rename. When a file collision happens, numbers
    are tacked onto the filename before the extension. Example:

    Original file: test.fil
    After collision: test01.fil

    Now we have to use Kermit 95 on the server side so that we can talk to
    higher com ports and use TAPI. When file collision is set to either
    backup or rename, the behavior is different. Example:

    Original file: test.fil
    after collision: test.fil.~1~

    How do I get Kermit 95 to behave during collisions like the original
    MS-Kermit? I've read millions of pages of docs and tried everything
    and still cannot find how to do it. The current behavior is breaking
    our application.

    ****************REFERENCE MATERIAL************************

    Here's some reference info:
    Our prior system: mskermit 3.15 15 sept 97

    the server mode is initialized by the following commands:
    set com1 \x03F8 \4 FIFO-enabled
    set port com1
    set speed 57600
    set rec pack 1000
    set send pack 1000
    set term color 0,1,37,44 ; set colours
    set mode-line on
    set input timeout proceed
    set input echo on
    disable all
    enable delete
    enable host
    enable login
    def errstp echo ERROR=> \%1\13,def \%1,pause 3,hangup,exit
    log transaction modem.log
    cd p:\
    output AT\13
    input 3 \10
    if fail errstp { NO RESPONSE FROM MODEM }
    pause 2
    output ATZ\13
    input 5 \10
    if fail errstp { MODEM RESET FAILED }
    pause 2
    clear
    output ATS0=1\13
    input 3 \10
    if fail errstp { FAILED TO SET MODEM AUTO ANSWER ON }
    pause 2
    server
    output ATS0=0\13
    pause 2
    exit

    And the new system:
    Kermit 95 2.1.3 1 Jan 2003

    Script to initialize the server instance:

    set port com12
    set speed 57600
    set rec pack 1000
    set send pack 1000
    set input timeout proceed
    set terminal newline-mode on
    set input echo on
    enable finish
    enable send
    enable delete
    enable host
    log transaction c:\comm\kermit\logs\kermit2a.log append
    cd c:\landing\kermit2
    set file type text
    while true {
    answer 0
    if success {
    server
    hangup
    }
    }

    The clients dialing are using various earlier versions of mskermit
    such as mskermit 3.01 20 march 1990.

    *****END REFERENCE MATERIAL********************

    Thank you,

    David Olson
    david.secondary@ironmountain.com

  2. Re: Kermit 95 Handles Files Collisions Differently from MSKermit

    David Olson wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I have a question that is driving us crazy and causing terrible
    > support issues. I'd appreciate knowing if anyone has or knows of a
    > solution or where to find one.
    >
    > In the past, we have had MS-Kermit running in server mode where
    > clients dial in and deposit files. This MS-Kermit server has had its
    > file collision set to rename. When a file collision happens, numbers
    > are tacked onto the filename before the extension. Example:
    >
    > Original file: test.fil
    > After collision: test01.fil
    >
    > Now we have to use Kermit 95 on the server side so that we can talk to
    > higher com ports and use TAPI. When file collision is set to either
    > backup or rename, the behavior is different. Example:
    >
    > Original file: test.fil
    > after collision: test.fil.~1~
    >
    > How do I get Kermit 95 to behave during collisions like the original
    > MS-Kermit? I've read millions of pages of docs and tried everything
    > and still cannot find how to do it. The current behavior is breaking
    > our application.

    MS-DOS Kermit used a version numbering scheme which was destructive to
    the filenames because it had no choice. MS-DOS Kermit is stuck with
    8.3 notation and the extension could not be changed. Kermit 95 does
    not have this restriction and is therefore able as C-Kermit does to
    create non-destructive renamed files.

    With the existing Kermit 95, if your application can only handle 8.3
    notation, then you will have to modify your script to look for the
    renamed files after the SERVER command exits to rename them to the
    notation you are expecting.

    Another option would be for you to contract with me to add a new
    command

    SET MSKERMIT FILE-COLLISION-NAMES { ON, OFF }

    which would add the functionality you desire. Please contact me
    offline at "jaltman *AT* secure-endpoints *DOT* com" if you are
    interested in this option.

    Jeffrey Altman
    Kermit 95 Author
    Secure Endpoints Inc.