Terminal parameter not being set properly from Dialer - Protocols

This is a discussion on Terminal parameter not being set properly from Dialer - Protocols ; I'm connecting to a device using telnet from the Kermit Dialer (K-95 2.1.3) and am getting a local echo. The Local Echo parameter is unchecked in the Dialer-Terminal-config GUI. The Generated Script File from the Dialer for that device also ...

  1. Terminal parameter not being set properly from Dialer

    I'm connecting to a device using telnet from the Kermit Dialer (K-95 2.1.3)
    and am getting
    a local echo. The Local Echo parameter is unchecked in the
    Dialer-Terminal-config GUI.
    The Generated Script File from the Dialer for that device also shows an
    entry of:
    "set term echo off", but when it connects, there is some echoing.
    If I enter "set term echo off" from the command screen, then all is well for
    that session.

    Since the dialer script is executed last, it also looks like the "set term
    echo off" that I added
    to my k95custom.ini file is also being ignored/overwritten.

    I'm unsure where is parameter is being set improperly and where it can
    "fixed".

    --
    George

  2. Re: Terminal parameter not being set properly from Dialer

    You are probably not connecting to a Telnet Server and therefore
    echoing in the NVT protocol cannot be disabled.

    Jeffrey Altman
    Kermit 95 Author
    Secure Endpoints Inc

    --
    -----------------

  3. Re: Terminal parameter not being set properly from Dialer

    :
    : Since the dialer script is executed last, it also looks like the "set term
    : echo off" that I added to my k95custom.ini file is also being
    : ignored/overwritten.
    :
    : I'm unsure where is parameter is being set improperly and where it can
    : "fixed".
    :
    Telnet protocol says that the client echoes locally unless the server offers
    (by well defined Telnet protocol negotiations) to echo, which evidently does
    no happen in your case. This is one of those confusing cases where certain
    things happen before or after certain other things. You tell Kermit not
    to echo locally, but then the Telnet startup sequence goes to local echo
    automatically because that's part of the Telnet protocol definition, thus
    overriding your "set term echo off" command. The trick is to "move" that
    command someplace where it will be executed after the Telnet protocol
    startup sequence, such as the login script or the key map. Just enter the
    command into the text box on the appropriate Dialer entry page.

    - Frank

  4. Re: Terminal parameter not being set properly from Dialer

    "Frank da Cruz" wrote in message
    > On 2004-07-14, George Matey wrote:
    > : I'm connecting to a device using telnet from the Kermit Dialer (K-95

    2.1.3)
    > : and am getting a local echo. The Local Echo parameter is unchecked

    in the
    > : Dialer-Terminal-config GUI. The Generated Script File from the

    Dialer for
    > : that device also shows an entry of: "set term echo off", but when it
    > : connects, there is some echoing. If I enter "set term echo off"

    from the
    > : command screen, then all is well for that session.
    > :
    > : Since the dialer script is executed last, it also looks like the

    "set term
    > : echo off" that I added to my k95custom.ini file is also being
    > : ignored/overwritten.
    > :
    > : I'm unsure where is parameter is being set improperly and where it

    can
    > : "fixed".
    > :
    > Telnet protocol says that the client echoes locally unless the server

    offers
    > (by well defined Telnet protocol negotiations) to echo, which

    evidently does
    > no happen in your case. This is one of those confusing cases where

    certain
    > things happen before or after certain other things. You tell Kermit

    not
    > to echo locally, but then the Telnet startup sequence goes to local

    echo
    > automatically because that's part of the Telnet protocol definition,

    thus
    > overriding your "set term echo off" command. The trick is to "move"

    that
    > command someplace where it will be executed after the Telnet protocol
    > startup sequence, such as the login script or the key map. Just enter

    the
    > command into the text box on the appropriate Dialer entry page.
    >
    > - Frank

    I moved the command "set term echo off" to the text box in the
    Login Settings dialog box and everything works fine now.

    Thanks!

    --
    George

+ Reply to Thread