slow ssh to Linux/Solaris - Protocols

This is a discussion on slow ssh to Linux/Solaris - Protocols ; I just loaded RedHat 9 on a PC. This seems to have telnet disabled by default, so I set Kermit 95 2.1.3 for an ssh connection. That takes a _long_ time to make the connection. Once the connection is made, ...

  1. slow ssh to Linux/Solaris

    I just loaded RedHat 9 on a PC. This seems to have telnet disabled by
    default, so I set Kermit 95 2.1.3 for an ssh connection.
    That takes a _long_ time to make the connection.
    Once the connection is made, the lag on keystrokes is terrible, sometimes
    several seconds.
    From a Cygwin prompt on the same source machine, ssh connects very quickly,
    and the keystroke response is fine.
    I have disabled all of the various timeouts and reverse DNS that I can find.
    The Linux box is in a lab that doesn't play DNS. The PC is on a
    DNS-enabled network.

    I run ssh to a couple of boxes on the public network, and Kermit is just
    fine there. The RedHat 7 box in the lab responds just fine via
    Kermit-telnet but has the same problem with ssh.

    I see that Solaris 5.9 has the same issue in the lab.
    I'm sure this is the fault of the lab network, but it's what I have to live
    with. What can I disable in Kermit ssh to make it more like Cygwin-ssh?
    connects.

    --
    ---

  2. Re: slow ssh to Linux/Solaris

    On 2004-07-01, dold@slowXsshXt.usenet.us.com
    wrote:
    : I just loaded RedHat 9 on a PC. This seems to have telnet disabled by
    : default, so I set Kermit 95 2.1.3 for an ssh connection.
    : That takes a _long_ time to make the connection.
    :
    Which authentication method are you using?

    : Once the connection is made, the lag on keystrokes is terrible, sometimes
    : several seconds.
    : From a Cygwin prompt on the same source machine, ssh connects very quickly,
    : and the keystroke response is fine.
    : I have disabled all of the various timeouts and reverse DNS that I can find.
    : The Linux box is in a lab that doesn't play DNS. The PC is on a
    : DNS-enabled network.
    :
    DNS yes-or-no might explain a connection delay but not sluggish performance.

    : I run ssh to a couple of boxes on the public network, and Kermit is just
    : fine there. The RedHat 7 box in the lab responds just fine via
    : Kermit-telnet but has the same problem with ssh.
    :
    : I see that Solaris 5.9 has the same issue in the lab.
    : I'm sure this is the fault of the lab network, but it's what I have to live
    : with. What can I disable in Kermit ssh to make it more like Cygwin-ssh?
    : connects.
    :
    Good question. Maybe a timestamped debug log will tell the tale. Lots
    of people, including me, make exactly the same connection (Windows XP,
    Kermit 95 GUI 2.1.3, SSH to Red Hat 9 or Solaris 9) all the time with no
    delay in connecting and no keystroke lag. I, for one, *live* in this kind
    of connection all day long, and also make ssh connections to many other
    hosts and sites, and have never seen this behavior.

    - Frank

  3. Re: slow ssh to Linux/Solaris

    Frank da Cruz wrote:
    > On 2004-07-01, dold@slowXsshXt.usenet.us.com
    > wrote:
    > : I just loaded RedHat 9 on a PC. This seems to have telnet disabled by
    > : default, so I set Kermit 95 2.1.3 for an ssh connection.
    > : That takes a _long_ time to make the connection.
    > :
    > Which authentication method are you using?

    I dunno. What's the default? How do I check?

    > Good question. Maybe a timestamped debug log will tell the tale. Lots
    > of people, including me, make exactly the same connection (Windows XP,
    > Kermit 95 GUI 2.1.3, SSH to Red Hat 9 or Solaris 9) all the time with no
    > delay in connecting and no keystroke lag. I, for one, *live* in this kind
    > of connection all day long, and also make ssh connections to many other
    > hosts and sites, and have never seen this behavior.

    I thought it was because of the poor lab setup here.
    I'll forward a set of debug logs via email to kermit-support@columbia.edu.

    --
    ---