How do I "break" a session - Protocols

This is a discussion on How do I "break" a session - Protocols ; Hi again, So, on a separate machine, I downloaded the binary for Mac OS X 10.3 AND compiled it and both those times it worked just fine connecting to a Cisco device. I'll try again on the original machine and ...

  1. How do I "break" a session

    Hi again,

    So, on a separate machine, I downloaded the binary for Mac OS X 10.3
    AND compiled it and both those times it worked just fine connecting to
    a Cisco device. I'll try again on the original machine and see how
    that goes.

    Now I when I am done with my session, I would like to return to Kermit
    but I cannot figure out the break sequence.

    I don't mind just closing the terminal window but I would prefer to
    return to Kermit and exit gracefully.

    I tried +"\" and +Just about every other key. I also tried
    ++Some other sequences.

    I figure I must be either missing the obvious or not setting a
    preference from within Kermit (set escape-character ???).

    Paul

  2. Re: How do I "break" a session

    Paul Bertain wrote in message news:<2004061909592031471%pbertain@maccom>...

    > Now I when I am done with my session, I would like to return to Kermit
    > but I cannot figure out the break sequence.
    >
    > I don't mind just closing the terminal window but I would prefer to
    > return to Kermit and exit gracefully.
    >
    > I tried +"\" and +Just about every other key. I also tried
    > ++Some other sequences.
    >
    > I figure I must be either missing the obvious or not setting a
    > preference from within Kermit (set escape-character ???).

    Normally, when a session terminates the remote device closes the
    connection. When Kermit detects this via protocol or via loss of
    carrier on a serial port, it returns to command mode.

    If you want to return to command mode while the connection either is
    or appears to be still open, the Kermit escape character must be
    enabled (this is the default), and you type the escape character and
    then type the letter C. Kermit tells you this when you first connect
    with a message that looks like

    Escape character: Ctrl-\ (ASCII 28, FS): enabled
    Type the escape character followed by C to get back,
    or followed by ? to see other options.

    If the escape character is disabled (must have been done in an
    initialization file), you can enable it before connecting with

    set terminal escape-character enabled

    If you escape back to a command prompt and then exit Kermit, you will
    get a warning that a connection may still be open. You can avoid this
    by first issuing

    close connection

    or by

    set exit warning off

    See
    help set terminal
    help close
    help set exit
    help set carrier-watch

    --
    Mark Sapiro msapiro -at- value net The highway is for gamblers,

  3. Re: How do I "break" a session

    Ah... the old "Read the directions" trick. I love it when people don't
    read; unfortunately, it was me.

    Thanks for the help (in pointing out the obvious).

    Paul

    On 2004-06-19 22:50:17 -0700, slash_dev_slash_null_2000@yahoo.com (Mark
    Sapiro) said:

    > Paul Bertain wrote in message
    >>
    >> Now I when I am done with my session, I would like to return to Kermit
    >> but I cannot figure out the break sequence.
    >>
    >> I don't mind just closing the terminal window but I would prefer to
    >> return to Kermit and exit gracefully.
    >>
    >> I tried +"\" and +Just about every other key. I also tried
    >> ++Some other sequences.
    >>
    >> I figure I must be either missing the obvious or not setting a
    >> preference from within Kermit (set escape-character ???).

    > Normally, when a session terminates the remote device closes the
    > connection. When Kermit detects this via protocol or via loss of
    > carrier on a serial port, it returns to command mode.
    >
    > If you want to return to command mode while the connection either is
    > or appears to be still open, the Kermit escape character must be
    > enabled (this is the default), and you type the escape character and
    > then type the letter C. Kermit tells you this when you first connect
    > with a message that looks like
    >
    > Escape character: Ctrl-\ (ASCII 28, FS): enabled
    > Type the escape character followed by C to get back,
    > or followed by ? to see other options.
    > If the escape character is disabled (must have been done in an
    > initialization file), you can enable it before connecting with
    >
    > set terminal escape-character enabled
    >
    > If you escape back to a command prompt and then exit Kermit, you will
    > get a warning that a connection may still be open. You can avoid this
    > by first issuing
    >
    > close connection
    >
    > or by
    >
    > set exit warning off