Odd switch to Active FTP? - Protocols

This is a discussion on Odd switch to Active FTP? - Protocols ; I'm running into a circumstance where what LOOKS like is happening is that, in spite of being in the default PASV mode for ftp, the C-Kermit client is not acknowleging that it's gotten the passive "go ahead" and is sending ...

  1. Odd switch to Active FTP?

    I'm running into a circumstance where what LOOKS like is happening is
    that, in spite of being in the default PASV mode for ftp, the C-Kermit
    client is not acknowleging that it's gotten the passive "go ahead" and
    is sending the PORT anyway, which is triggering an error back from the
    ftp server. No amount of flipping the "passive" command off and on seems
    to help. Any idea what may be triggering this, or (better yet) how to
    stop it and return to having PASV work?

    ---------------
    230 User logged in, proceed.
    Remote system type is UNIX.
    Using binary mode to transfer files.
    ftp> debug
    Debugging on (debug=1).
    ftp> ls
    ftp: setsockopt (ignored): Permission denied
    ---> EPSV
    500 'EPSV': command not understood.
    disabling epsv4 for this connection
    ---> PASV
    227 Entering Passive Mode (199,243,204,44,39,254)
    ftp: setsockopt (ignored): Permission denied
    ---> PORT 9,73,106,20,4,3
    530 Only client IP address allowed for PORT command.
    ftp: bind: Address already in use
    ftp>
    ---------------

    ---------------
    (/home/phcoffin/src/pdc_nixie/) C-Kermit>version

    C-Kermit 8.0.211, 10 Apr 2004, for Red Hat Linux 7.3
    Numeric: 800211
    ---------------

    --
    If any foreign minister begins to defend to the death a "peace conference,"
    you can be sure his government has already placed its orders for new

  2. Re: Odd switch to Active FTP?

    This trace does not appear to be C-Kermit.
    There are several reasons I know it is not.
    First, C-Kermit does not support EPSV since it does not support IPV6.
    Second, the setsockopt error messages in C-Kermit state which option was
    being set.
    Third, you do not turn on debugging with the "debug" command in C-Kermit.
    Fourth, the command prompt in C-Kermit is not "ftp>"

    With all of that said. The reason the PORT command is being used
    is that the server is rejecting the PASV command.

    Jeffrey Altman

    --
    -----------------

  3. Re: Odd switch to Active FTP?

    On 2004-06-03, Jeffrey Altman wrote:
    : This trace does not appear to be C-Kermit.
    :
    Kermit's built-in FTP client was added in C-Kermit 8.0 / K95 2.0:

    http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ftpclient.html

    Pre-8.0 versions of C-Kermit had an FTP command that invoked the
    external ftp client.

    - Frank

+ Reply to Thread