Access denied - Protocols

This is a discussion on Access denied - Protocols ; I have 1 internal modem that when I use it with K95, its fine but if I quit out and then try to do anything else with the modem, including going back into K95, I get Sorry, access denied and ...

  1. Access denied

    I have 1 internal modem that when I use it with K95, its fine but if I quit
    out and then try to do anything else with the modem, including going back
    into K95, I get Sorry, access denied and I have to reboot the PC in order to
    free up the modem again. Any idea why this modem does not free up when I
    quit K95? Is there a setting or a command to free it up? I have tried
    setting the line to something else setting modem type non, etc. and so far
    no luck.

    Thanks,
    Steve

  2. Re: Access denied

    The problem is either a bug in Kermit 95 or a bug in the modem's device
    driver.

    Jeffrey Altman

    --
    -----------------

  3. Re: Access denied

    I have had varying cases of slow hang-up/release modems using K95.
    Don't remember any complete hangs, but several very slow to clear after
    hang-up with auto close.
    Unfortunately I don't keep any records of specific modem brands or models
    because the models only seem to last on the market for a few weeks so the
    next
    time the problem model is not available to avoid anyway.
    but my memory says more common problem with winmodems than hardware
    (are my prejudices showing?) Last two over our bench were USR 56K V.90
    low cost ($19.00) and they were "quick to close" At the price of modems
    these
    days I'd say try a different one and see if the problem changes.

    TAPI = Terrible And Problematic Interface.

    Regards...Dan.

    "Jeffrey Altman" wrote in message
    > The problem is either a bug in Kermit 95 or a bug in the modem's device
    > driver.
    >
    > Jeffrey Altman
    >

    > Steve wrote:
    > > I have 1 internal modem that when I use it with K95, its fine but if I

    quit
    > > out and then try to do anything else with the modem, including going

    back
    > > into K95, I get Sorry, access denied and I have to reboot the PC in

    order to
    > > free up the modem again. Any idea why this modem does not free up when

    > > quit K95? Is there a setting or a command to free it up? I have tried
    > > setting the line to something else setting modem type non, etc. and so

    far
    > > no luck.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Steve
    > >

    > --
    > -----------------
    > This e-mail account is not read on a regular basis.
    > Please send private responses to jaltman at mit dot edu

  4. Re: Access denied

    On Wed, 26 May 2004 16:34:52 -0700, "Steve"
    wrote:

    -I have 1 internal modem that when I use it with K95, its fine but if I quit
    -out and then try to do anything else with the modem, including going back
    -into K95, I get Sorry, access denied and I have to reboot the PC in order to
    -free up the modem again. Any idea why this modem does not free up when I
    -quit K95? Is there a setting or a command to free it up? I have tried
    -setting the line to something else setting modem type non, etc. and so far
    -no luck.

    I get this too - especially if I interrupt the dialling. Sometimes K95 closes
    and then gives access denied when reopening, and sometimes takes ages to close.

    However so far it's always eventually released the modem without need for a
    reboot. So I'd agree with Dan on both counts (his loathing of TAPI, and his
    suggestion to try another modem). You may even find a 10 winmodem works 100%.
    When I used to read the comp.*.modem groups there was always disagreement on
    whether conexant/intel/ambient was best......

    We use US Robotics fwiw

    regards

    -Rob
    robatwork at mail dot com

  5. Re: Access denied

    "Jeffrey Altman" wrote in message
    > The problem is either a bug in Kermit 95 or a bug in the modem's device
    > driver.
    >
    > Jeffrey Altman

    Getting the drivers from the PC manufacturers web site, and not the modem
    manufacturers web site seems to have solved the problem.

    Steve

+ Reply to Thread