Forcing binary mode transfer - Protocols

This is a discussion on Forcing binary mode transfer - Protocols ; I am having trouble getting Kermit to transfer some files in binary mode. Here is the setup: I am transfering some EPS (Encapsulated PostScript) files FROM my home Windows 2000 machine TO a Solaris 5.8 machine. The Windows machine is ...

  1. Forcing binary mode transfer

    I am having trouble getting Kermit to transfer some files in binary
    mode. Here is the setup:

    I am transfering some EPS (Encapsulated PostScript) files FROM my home
    Windows 2000 machine TO a Solaris 5.8 machine. The Windows machine is
    running Kermit 95 2.1.3 while the Solaris machine is running C-Kermit
    8.0.209.

    I first connect to the Solaris machine using the ssh feature of Kermit
    95. I start Kermit on the Solaris machine with the command "kermit
    -ix" and escape back to the Kermit 95 prompt and type at the prompt
    "SET FILE TYPE BINARY". I then type "send test.eps" and the file
    "successfully" transfers but the transfer window always indicates
    "File Type: TEXT (ascii => ascii)". I do not have a .kermrc in my home
    directory on the Solaris side.

    What do I have to do do force Kermit to send a file in binary mode?

    Thank you.

  2. Re: Forcing binary mode transfer

    SET TRANSFER MODE MANUAL
    SET FILE TYPE BINARY
    SEND

    --
    -----------------

  3. Re: Forcing binary mode transfer

    :
    : I am transfering some EPS (Encapsulated PostScript) files FROM my home
    : Windows 2000 machine TO a Solaris 5.8 machine. The Windows machine is
    : running Kermit 95 2.1.3 while the Solaris machine is running C-Kermit
    : 8.0.209.
    :
    : I first connect to the Solaris machine using the ssh feature of Kermit
    : 95. I start Kermit on the Solaris machine with the command "kermit
    : -ix" and escape back to the Kermit 95 prompt and type at the prompt
    : "SET FILE TYPE BINARY". I then type "send test.eps" and the file
    : "successfully" transfers but the transfer window always indicates
    : "File Type: TEXT (ascii => ascii)". I do not have a .kermrc in my home
    : directory on the Solaris side.
    :
    This is explained here:

    http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckermit80.html#x4

    See especially the SET FILE SCAN command description. Briefly, the problem
    is that the EPS file is a text file in its first 48K, which is all that
    Kermit's file scanner looks at by default. After that, the file contains
    a binary portion.

    > What do I have to do do force Kermit to send a file in binary mode?

    Lots of choices:

    1. SEND /BINARY (force binary mode for this file)
    2. SET FILE SCAN ON -1 (force full file scan)
    3. SET TRANSFER MODE MANUAL, SET FILE TYPE BINARY, SEND
    4. SET FILE SCAN OFF, SET FILE TYPE BINARY, SEND

    If you include a /TEXT or /BINARY switch with a SEND command, this
    overrides all other settings and forces the indicated transfer mode.
    2-4 are explained in the above Web reference.

    - Frank

  4. Re: Forcing binary mode transfer

    Thank you very much. That seems to have solved it.

    adam@macrotex.net (A. Lewenberg) wrote in message news:<6bd7331b.0405070413.749e75d1@posting.google.com>...
    > I am having trouble getting Kermit to transfer some files in binary
    > mode. Here is the setup:
    >
    > I am transfering some EPS (Encapsulated PostScript) files FROM my home
    > Windows 2000 machine TO a Solaris 5.8 machine. The Windows machine is
    > running Kermit 95 2.1.3 while the Solaris machine is running C-Kermit
    > 8.0.209.
    >
    > I first connect to the Solaris machine using the ssh feature of Kermit
    > 95. I start Kermit on the Solaris machine with the command "kermit
    > -ix" and escape back to the Kermit 95 prompt and type at the prompt
    > "SET FILE TYPE BINARY". I then type "send test.eps" and the file
    > "successfully" transfers but the transfer window always indicates
    > "File Type: TEXT (ascii => ascii)". I do not have a .kermrc in my home
    > directory on the Solaris side.
    >
    > What do I have to do do force Kermit to send a file in binary mode?
    >
    > Thank you.

+ Reply to Thread