The Unknown C-Kermit. - Protocols

This is a discussion on The Unknown C-Kermit. - Protocols ; If you are using C-Kermit to do some simple communication tasks between two computers, you are under utilizing C-Kermit. Since the release of version 8.0, C-Kermit is a versatile instrument that can be used to do many things that you ...

  1. The Unknown C-Kermit.

    If you are using C-Kermit to do some simple communication tasks
    between two computers, you are under utilizing C-Kermit. Since the
    release of version 8.0, C-Kermit is a versatile instrument that can be
    used to do many things that you are unaware of.

    Consider that Delphi and Visual Basic run only on Windows, Java won't
    run on many platforms for years to come (i.e. Stratus VOS) and
    Smalltalk exists only for a few OS. C-Kermit has been the "WRITE ONCE
    RUN EVERYWHERE" since the 1980s.

    Take one classic problem in operating system: the Dinning
    Philosophers. The Dinning Philosophers problem can be stated as
    follows:

    "Five philosophers spend their lives thinking, eating, and sleeping.
    The Philosophers sit around a table where there is a bowl of rice and
    five chopsticks. Each philosopher compete for two chopsticks to eat."

    To solve this problem, one needs supports from the running environment
    like semaphore, timer, fork, multiprocessing, and concurrency.
    C-Kermit does not provide all that, but you can create them and solve
    the Dinning Philosophers problem in C-Kermit.

    The whole thing is easier to do in OOP fashion where each philosopher
    is presented by an object. These objects line up in a queue executed
    in turn by a process object. Each philosopher object carries with
    itself a softtimer that is timed when the object gets processed.

    The philosopher objects compete for chopsticks which are binary
    semaphore objects. The semaphores keep tracks of the philosophers
    waiting for chopsticks to be available. Whenever the chopsticks are
    released by eating philosopher objects, the semaphores send the
    waiting philosopher objects to the process object queue.

    This model of processing are applicable to a variety of complex
    programming task where resources are competed, state of running
    objects continously change. And since C-Kermit can communicate with
    other computers, many useful administration tasks and communication
    applications can be done comfortably.

    For the solution of the Dinning Philosophers problem in C-Kermit, see:

    http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckscripts.html#oops

    Dat Nguyen

  2. Re: The Unknown C-Kermit.

    Dat Nguyen wrote:

    > If you are using C-Kermit to do some simple communication tasks
    > between two computers, you are under utilizing C-Kermit. Since the
    > release of version 8.0, C-Kermit is a versatile instrument that can be
    > used to do many things that you are unaware of.
    >
    > Consider that Delphi and Visual Basic run only on Windows, Java won't
    > run on many platforms for years to come (i.e. Stratus VOS) and
    > Smalltalk exists only for a few OS. C-Kermit has been the "WRITE ONCE
    > RUN EVERYWHERE" since the 1980s.
    >
    > Take one classic problem in operating system: the Dinning
    > Philosophers. The Dinning Philosophers problem can be stated as
    > follows:
    >
    > "Five philosophers spend their lives thinking, eating, and sleeping.
    > The Philosophers sit around a table where there is a bowl of rice and
    > five chopsticks. Each philosopher compete for two chopsticks to eat."
    >
    > To solve this problem, one needs supports from the running environment
    > like semaphore, timer, fork, multiprocessing, and concurrency.
    > C-Kermit does not provide all that, but you can create them and solve
    > the Dinning Philosophers problem in C-Kermit.
    >
    > The whole thing is easier to do in OOP fashion where each philosopher
    > is presented by an object. These objects line up in a queue executed
    > in turn by a process object. Each philosopher object carries with
    > itself a softtimer that is timed when the object gets processed.
    >
    > The philosopher objects compete for chopsticks which are binary
    > semaphore objects. The semaphores keep tracks of the philosophers
    > waiting for chopsticks to be available. Whenever the chopsticks are
    > released by eating philosopher objects, the semaphores send the
    > waiting philosopher objects to the process object queue.
    >
    > This model of processing are applicable to a variety of complex
    > programming task where resources are competed, state of running
    > objects continously change. And since C-Kermit can communicate with
    > other computers, many useful administration tasks and communication
    > applications can be done comfortably.
    >
    > For the solution of the Dinning Philosophers problem in C-Kermit, see:
    >
    > http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckscripts.html#oops

    Well done!

    The correct URL for the dining philosphers script is:

    ftp://kermit.columbia.edu/kermit/scr...g-philosophers

    (The present link omits the hyphen).

    > Dat Nguyen

    Arthur.

  3. Re: The Unknown C-Kermit.

    On 2004-05-04, Arthur Marsh wrote:
    : Dat Nguyen wrote:
    :...
    :> For the solution of the Dinning Philosophers problem in C-Kermit, see:
    :>
    :> http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckscripts.html#oops
    :
    : Well done!
    :
    : The correct URL for the dining philosphers script is:
    :
    : ftp://kermit.columbia.edu/kermit/scr...g-philosophers
    :
    : (The present link omits the hyphen).
    :
    "Oops", my fault. Fixed now, and I've also replaced the script by
    Version 2.0, which works for any number of hungry, sleepy philosophers,
    and added Dat's message as Case Study 27:

    http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/studies.html

    - Frank

+ Reply to Thread