?Off Limits: Directory - Protocols

This is a discussion on ?Off Limits: Directory - Protocols ; Hello. When I try to do any Local Change Directory commands (LCD or LCWD, or even a cd) in my C-Kermit 8.0.211 I get the following "?Off limits" error C-Kermit 8.0.211, 10 Apr 2004, for Solaris 9 Copyright (C) 1985, ...

  1. ?Off Limits: Directory

    Hello.

    When I try to do any Local Change Directory commands (LCD or LCWD,
    or even a cd) in my C-Kermit 8.0.211 I get the following "?Off limits"
    error

    C-Kermit 8.0.211, 10 Apr 2004, for Solaris 9
    Copyright (C) 1985, 2004,
    Trustees of Columbia University in the City of New York.
    Type ? or HELP for help.
    (/u/rdps/pav/openssl/openssl/certs/) C-Kermit>lcd /appl
    ?Off limits: "/appl"
    (/u/rdps/pav/openssl/openssl/certs/) C-Kermit>

    I've checked the permission on my UNIX machine and the directory
    allows access to owner, group and other.

    Anybody have any suggestions?

    Many thanks in advance.

    Peter

  2. Re: ?Off Limits: Directory

    :
    : C-Kermit 8.0.211, 10 Apr 2004, for Solaris 9
    : Copyright (C) 1985, 2004,
    : Trustees of Columbia University in the City of New York.
    : Type ? or HELP for help.
    : (/u/rdps/pav/openssl/openssl/certs/) C-Kermit>lcd /appl
    : ?Off limits: "/appl"
    : (/u/rdps/pav/openssl/openssl/certs/) C-Kermit>
    :
    : I've checked the permission on my UNIX machine and the directory
    : allows access to owner, group and other.
    :
    This happens after a SET ROOT command (or CHROOT, same thing) has been
    given, and you attempt to access a directory outside of the tree rooted
    at the given place.

    - Frank

  3. Re: ?Off Limits: Directory

    Frank,

    Thank you. I now make sure to set locus (either remote or local)
    and am able to change the CWD. I commented out the set root. Once
    again Many thanks!

    Peter

    Frank da Cruz wrote in message news:...
    > On 2004-05-03, Peter V. wrote:
    > : When I try to do any Local Change Directory commands (LCD or LCWD,
    > : or even a cd) in my C-Kermit 8.0.211 I get the following "?Off limits"
    > : error
    > :
    > : C-Kermit 8.0.211, 10 Apr 2004, for Solaris 9
    > : Copyright (C) 1985, 2004,
    > : Trustees of Columbia University in the City of New York.
    > : Type ? or HELP for help.
    > : (/u/rdps/pav/openssl/openssl/certs/) C-Kermit>lcd /appl
    > : ?Off limits: "/appl"
    > : (/u/rdps/pav/openssl/openssl/certs/) C-Kermit>
    > :
    > : I've checked the permission on my UNIX machine and the directory
    > : allows access to owner, group and other.
    > :
    > This happens after a SET ROOT command (or CHROOT, same thing) has been
    > given, and you attempt to access a directory outside of the tree rooted
    > at the given place.
    >
    > - Frank

  4. Re: ?Off Limits: Directory

    On 2004-05-04, Peter V. wrote:
    : Thank you. I now make sure to set locus (either remote or local)
    : and am able to change the CWD. I commented out the set root. Once
    : again Many thanks!
    :
    Sure. Note: the LOCUS setting tells where unqualified file management
    commands like DIRECTORY and DELETE should be aimed: the local computer where
    Kermit is running or the remote computer to which you have a connection.

    You can always override the LOCUS setting by using an L or R prefix on any
    file management command: LDIR, LDEL (local); RDIR, RDEL (remote). This
    notion was introduced in C-Kermit 8.0.201 because of the new FTP client;
    FTP users expect commands like DIR and DELETE to be executed by the remote
    server, whereas Kermit users expect them to execute locally. For this
    reason Kermit automatically switches LOCUS to REMOTE when you make an FTP
    connection, and keeps it LOCAL otherwise. It's all documented in the
    update notes:

    http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckermit80.html#setlocus

    - Frank

+ Reply to Thread