Kermit95 finds no network connection on WinXP - Protocols

This is a discussion on Kermit95 finds no network connection on WinXP - Protocols ; Hi, I've used Kermit95 on various platforms (Win95/98/2000) and never had any problems. It always worked right out of the box. Now I installed a newly purchased copy of Kermit95 on a fresh WinXP laptop, but it doesn't work. I ...

  1. Kermit95 finds no network connection on WinXP

    Hi,

    I've used Kermit95 on various platforms (Win95/98/2000) and never had
    any problems. It always worked right out of the box.

    Now I installed a newly purchased copy of Kermit95 on a fresh WinXP
    laptop, but it doesn't work. I can configure telnet and ssh
    connections in the dialer, but whenever I try to connect, the terminal
    window pops up, but _nothing_ happens. No error message or anything,
    the terminal window just sits there forever and no connection is
    opened.

    It seems that Kermit cannot find the network connection. I've double
    checked all settings, I've tried several templates as basis for my
    settings, but to no avail. I've enabled logging, but no log files are
    created (or am I looking in the wrong places?).

    Other than that, networking works just fine on that machine. In fact
    I'm writing this posting from that machine. Windows telnet sessions to
    the hosts I'm trying to connect to also work, so the underlying
    network seems to be ok.

    I'm completely lost. Where should I start looking for the cause of
    this problem?

    Regards, Richard

  2. Re: Kermit95 finds no network connection on WinXP

    A couple of things come to mind. First, you do not specify which
    version of Kermit 95 you are using. Be sure you are using a version
    which was released after Windows XP was released. The current
    release is 2.1.3.

    Second, since you say that you never receive any messages of
    any kind I would hazard a guess that what is really happening is
    that one of the libraries Kermit 95 is linked to is unable to
    properly initialize. This could be the case if you have installed
    the Kerberos functionality but never configured a Kerberos
    configuration. In this case the Kerberos libraries will attempt
    to determine the current realm for the machine via DNS which
    could take several minutes to time out depending on your DNS
    configuration.

    Jeffrey Altman
    Kermit 95 Author
    Secure Endpoints Inc

    --
    -----------------

  3. Re: Kermit95 finds no network connection on WinXP

    :
[...]
    Follow up to kermit-support@columbia.edu and we'll go through the
    debugging steps.

    - Frank

  4. Re: Kermit95 finds no network connection on WinXP

    Jeffrey Altman wrote:
    > properly initialize. This could be the case if you have installed
    > the Kerberos functionality but never configured a Kerberos

    I did this one to myself. I thought I was installing the version that had
    ssh capability, and was installing the Kerberos version instead.
    I don't remember the option during installation, or if it was a different
    version of the installer, but it was named in a way that made me think I
    wanted it. The other, non-secure install, still allows ssh.

    ---

  5. Re: Kermit95 finds no network connection on WinXP

    dold@Kermit95Xf.usenet.us.com wrote:
    > Jeffrey Altman wrote:
    >
    >>properly initialize. This could be the case if you have installed
    >>the Kerberos functionality but never configured a Kerberos

    > I did this one to myself. I thought I was installing the version that had
    > ssh capability, and was installing the Kerberos version instead.
    > I don't remember the option during installation, or if it was a different
    > version of the installer, but it was named in a way that made me think I
    > wanted it. The other, non-secure install, still allows ssh.

    The non-secure installer does not allow SSH.
    SSH is supported by the secure installer when you install the
    OpenSSL,OpenSSH support. Kerberos support is not required
    for using SSH unless you need to authenticate SSH using Kerberos.

  6. Re: Kermit95 finds no network connection on WinXP

    Jeffrey Altman wrote in message news:<4090DD42.5080309@nyc.rr.com>...

    > This could be the case if you have installed
    > the Kerberos functionality but never configured a Kerberos
    > configuration. In this case the Kerberos libraries will attempt
    > to determine the current realm for the machine via DNS which
    > could take several minutes to time out depending on your DNS
    > configuration.

    That was the solution! I deactivated Kerberos support in the
    installer, and all was well. Thank you ever so much for great
    support!

    Regards, Richard

+ Reply to Thread