If last word ends with '-' it gets joined with the next line - Protocols

This is a discussion on If last word ends with '-' it gets joined with the next line - Protocols ; Hi, Just a quick question I hope; In the following script below, the lines "ftp site search mypattern-" and "set ftp verbose-mode off" at the end, become joined into "ftp site search mypatternset ftp verbose-mode off": ---8 set auth ssl ...

  1. If last word ends with '-' it gets joined with the next line

    Hi,

    Just a quick question I hope; In the following script below, the lines "ftp site
    search mypattern-" and "set ftp verbose-mode off" at the end, become joined into
    "ftp site search mypatternset ftp verbose-mode off":
    ---8<---
    set auth ssl certs-ok
    set ftp authtype ssl
    set ftp autologin off
    set ftp passive-mode on
    set ftp filenames literal
    set transfer display off
    ftp myaddress myport
    if fail exit 1 Remote FTP connection failed
    set ftp command-protection-level private
    set ftp data-protection-level private
    ftp user myuser mypasswd
    if fail exit 2 Remote FTP login failed
    set ftp verbose-mode on
    ftp site search mypattern-
    set ftp verbose-mode off
    exit
    ---8<---

    The server response is:
    ---8<---
    Doing case-insensitive search for 'mypatternset ftp verbose-mode off':

    0 directories found.
    ---8<---

    It indicates that "ftp site search" was executed, but not with the parameter
    "mypattern-" as expected, but with "mypatternset ftp verbose-mode off" instead.

    I tried getting around it by adding an empty line after the "ftp site search"
    command, but that only means the search pattern changes from "mypattern-" to
    "mypattern".

    I assume this is a feature of some sort, but how do I disable it or get around
    it?

    Many thanks in advance!

    Petri

  2. Re: If last word ends with '-' it gets joined with the next line

    \-

    --
    -----------------

  3. Re: If last word ends with '-' it gets joined with the next line

    In article <408DCFBF.6020902@nyc.rr.com>, Jeffrey Altman says...
    >> Just a quick question I hope; In the following script below, the lines
    >> "ftp site search mypattern-" and "set ftp verbose-mode off" at the
    >> end, become joined into "ftp site search mypatternset ftp verbose-mode
    >> off":

    >> I assume this is a feature of some sort, but how do I disable it or get
    >> around it?

    > \-

    Thanks!

    Petri