Does Kermit have stuff built-in for dialing-in to (TTS) Cortel-lines? - Protocols

This is a discussion on Does Kermit have stuff built-in for dialing-in to (TTS) Cortel-lines? - Protocols ; Hoping that maybe *something* in them will trigger some memory or thought, here's a copy of an email I sent to my shell-acct ISP, re their dial-in somehow operating differently these days -- seems it now uses TTS authentication, after ...

  1. Does Kermit have stuff built-in for dialing-in to (TTS) Cortel-lines?

    Hoping that maybe *something* in them will trigger
    some memory or thought,
    here's a copy of an email I sent to my shell-acct ISP, re
    their dial-in somehow operating differently these days -- seems
    it now uses TTS authentication, after I enter "panix.com" to
    it's "host" prompt, simply says "authentication succeeded",
    and instantly then hangs -- even before giving me an actual "Login" prompt.

    Here's what I sent them:

    Subject: [Mara] GlobalNAPS went down last night; need to make Cortel work *for me*
    From: David Combs
    To: support@panix.com
    Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 15:50:38 -0400

    Mara told me yesterday (email) that along with several
    other panix-users, Cortel-lines (the normal panix dial-ins)
    weren't suited, any more (since last week or two) for
    dial-in by me, and that I'd have to limit myself
    to the (few?) GlobalNAPS lines.

    Problem is that early this am, somewhere between
    2am and 4am, it ceased allowing me to login,
    simply hanging after I responded to its "host"
    prompt (I of course answered with the usual panix.com).

    And without ability to dial in, no way to send email
    to support, since I have *no* way to get into panix.

    And, weekend is coming up, ie unattended panix.

    THUS:

    Whatever it is that makes Cortel unhappy with my
    dialing-in, I *must* surmount it.

    And only *you* guys can help me do that, by telling
    me what to change about my configuration (Blade100,
    solaris 9, coming in via Kermit (which I believe
    is pretty full-featured with security-stuff, or can
    at least probably let me use my own security-stuff, that
    comes with solaris.)).

    My suggestion is that sometime before 8pm tonight (when
    I believe your final guy leaves for the weekend?), we
    talk by phone while I try suggestions from you
    and try to dial in via Cortel-lines.)

    If needed, let Alexis at least know about this
    suggestion. I mean, if there's *several* of us
    having this Cortel-problem -- well, just how many
    GlobalNAPS lines does he want to pay for?

    Thanks,

    David

    ------------------------ And here's two earlier ones:

    From dkcombs@panix.com Thu Apr 22 21:05:49 EDT 2004
    Article: 76374 of panix.questions
    From: dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs)
    Newsgroups: panix.questions
    Subject: (new to me) "TTS Authentication Succeeded" (or the like): then FREEZES (phone-dialin)
    Date: 17 Apr 2004 17:34:08 -0400

    For the last three or so weeks, I've been
    dialing in through that "failsafe" line:

    dial 17185042681

    Today I tried dialing in through a "regular" line,
    the one in yonkers:

    1: yonkers: dial 2332064

    , and when I did, I got this "TTS Authenticated Succeeded"
    (or something close to that),

    after which it "just sat there" -- and after a few minutes
    of fruitless waiting, I did the abort (kermit) control-\,
    and reverted back to that "failsafe" (my terminology) line --
    which works fine, no authenticationo message.

    Needless to say, I've received no login-message (in the last three
    or so weeks) that said anything about this TTS thing.

    QUESTION: any idea what it wants me to do, to be able
    to dial-in and *log-in* via the normal phone-lines?

    Again, I'm coming in through plain dial-in, NOT via
    cable-modem and browser and then into panix.

    Just a straight dial-in.

    Thanks!

    David

    From staff@panix.com Thu Apr 22 21:05:56 EDT 2004
    Article: 76413 of panix.questions
    From: staff@panix.com (Mara's Staff Account)
    Newsgroups: panix.questions
    Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 13:24:04 +0000 (UTC)

    dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs) writes:
    >For the last three or so weeks, I've been
    >dialing in through that "failsafe" line:

    > dial 17185042681

    >Today I tried dialing in through a "regular" line,
    >the one in yonkers:

    > 1: yonkers: dial 2332064

    >, and when I did, I got this "TTS Authenticated Succeeded"
    > (or something close to that),

    Some users have problems with the Coretel (xx64) lines.

    If you don't make a successful connection on those lines
    you should use the GlobalNAPS numbers (what you referred to
    as the "failsafe" line).

    Because dialup issues involve so many different variables, they
    are usually better dealt with on an individual basis by email to
    modems@panix.com. Using a newsgroup is not particularly efficient.
    --
    Mara Chibnik Staff Account
    mc@panix.com (212) 741-4400

    Does that stuff tell you *anything* useful?

    Thanks!

    David

  2. Re: Does Kermit have stuff built-in for dialing-in to (TTS) Cortel-lines?

    On 2004-04-23, David Combs wrote:
    : Hoping that maybe *something* in them will trigger
    : some memory or thought,
    :
    Maybe with any Panix users or staff who read this group, but it has
    nothing to do with Kermit. You're using to Kermit call some phone number;
    the call is answered, you get a prompt, you tell it to connect you with
    Panix, and then "it just sits there". This is between the box that you
    called and Panix. I don't think there's anything Kermit can do about it.

    Kermit's secure authentication features apply only to TCP/IP connections,
    not serial-port ones.

    - Frank

  3. Re: Does Kermit have stuff built-in for dialing-in to (TTS) Cortel-lines?

    It could be either a modem configuration problem or an incompatibility
    between your brand of modem and the modems used by Cortel on their
    lines. If its a configuration problem I would look to drop the max
    speed of the modem to modem negotiations and ensure you have proper
    flow control settings.

    Jeffrey Altman
    Secure Endpoints Inc