FTP site-to-site transfers available in Kermit? - Protocols

This is a discussion on FTP site-to-site transfers available in Kermit? - Protocols ; Hi everyone, Now that I'm comfortable with interfacing with Kermit from glftpd and connecting to other encrypted FTP-servers, I have started looking at the more important features requested, like file transfers. I just recieved a late request for using site-to-site ...

  1. FTP site-to-site transfers available in Kermit?

    Hi everyone,

    Now that I'm comfortable with interfacing with Kermit from glftpd and connecting
    to other encrypted FTP-servers, I have started looking at the more important
    features requested, like file transfers.

    I just recieved a late request for using site-to-site transfers. :/
    The reason is, that glftpd maintains indexes (which the SITE SEARCH command
    uses), and statistics for all transferred traffic.
    If I insert files into the local FTP-folders by other means than using the
    actual FTP-server, the server would need periodic reindexing, and traffic
    statistics would become incorrect.

    If available, I would like to use the site-to-site method, by establishing
    control-sessions to both FTP-servers, and instructing them to send files between
    eachother.

    This is mentioned in RFC959, section 3.2:
    "It is possible for the user to specify an alternate data port by
    use of the PORT command. The user may want a file dumped on a TAC
    line printer or retrieved from a third party host. In the latter
    case, the user-PI sets up control connections with both
    server-PI's. One server is then told (by an FTP command) to
    "listen" for a connection which the other will initiate. The
    user-PI sends one server-PI a PORT command indicating the data
    port of the other. Finally, both are sent the appropriate
    transfer commands."

    Is this feature available in C-Kermit?

    If not, I'll have to collect files from the remote hosts to a local temp folder,
    and then do a second session against localhost to insert the files into the
    local site.
    Not a biggie, but if I could avoid it, I would.

    Petri

  2. Re: FTP site-to-site transfers available in Kermit?

    No, FTP does not support FTP PROXY mode.
    This is an insecure operation which has been used for the execution of
    Denial of Service Attacks. Please find another way.

    --
    -----------------

  3. Re: FTP site-to-site transfers available in Kermit?

    in comp.protocols.kermit.misc i read:

    >No, FTP does not support FTP PROXY mode.
    >This is an insecure operation which has been used for the execution of
    >Denial of Service Attacks.

    but was loverly when the net was a nicer place.

    >Please find another way.

    kermit doesn't implement fxp (an attempt to make proxy mode secure).

    perhaps glftpd does -- glftpd smells like a warez-originated daemon and the
    warez community seems to like fxp too.

    --
    a signature

  4. Re: FTP site-to-site transfers available in Kermit?

    In article , those who know me have no need of my name
    says...
    > kermit doesn't implement fxp (an attempt to make proxy mode secure).

    Too bad.

    > perhaps glftpd does -- glftpd smells like a warez-originated daemon
    > and the warez community seems to like fxp too.

    Yes, It seems that the guys who initially installed this thing have some
    experience from that field. :/
    It would explain the choice of glftpd, which at first glance looks like a
    strange piece of software to rely upon for any sort of service.

    But having worked with glftpd for a while now, I have reluctantly become
    impressed by it, mostly for its' solid behaviour, unexpected and innovative
    features, and the interfaces that let you expand upon it so easily.
    There are some really cool plugins out there for it.

    But no FXP in Kermit then, oh well.
    Thanks for your reply!

    Petri

  5. Re: FTP site-to-site transfers available in Kermit?

    In article <40884E7F.7090604@nyc.rr.com>, Jeffrey Altman says...
    >> If available, I would like to use the site-to-site method, by
    >> establishing control-sessions to both FTP-servers, and instructing
    >> them to send files between eachother.

    >> Is this feature available in C-Kermit?

    > No, FTP does not support FTP PROXY mode.

    A feature missing in Kermit?
    Say it isn't so..!

    > This is an insecure operation which has been used for the execution
    > of Denial of Service Attacks.

    Brr.
    Don't want that.

    > Please find another way.