K95 Dialer porting - Protocols

This is a discussion on K95 Dialer porting - Protocols ; Hi, I use K95 dialler which is setup with dozens of numbers to dial various modems with my TAPI connection. I now want another PC - PC2 - to be able to use my dial directory without having to setup ...

  1. K95 Dialer porting

    Hi,

    I use K95 dialler which is setup with dozens of numbers to dial various modems
    with my TAPI connection. I now want another PC - PC2 - to be able to use my
    dial directory without having to setup all the numbers manually.

    I have found the DIALUSR.DAT file, and copied this into the relevant place on
    PC2. Now when PC2 opens the K95 dialler it sees all my numbers. When I try to
    open them, it falls over because the original modem is obviously not in this PC.
    It gets a Unable to open TAPI line: modem_from_pc1 error.

    In Modems/Change, I can't delete the original modem, because it says it's in
    use. Despite changing the modem in this menu to the "real" one in PC2, I still
    can't dial any numbers. TAPI/Line configuration shows only the real modem.

    Grateful for any advice.....

    -Rob
    robatwork at mail dot com

  2. Re: K95 Dialer porting

    Rob S wrote:

    > I use K95 dialler which is setup with dozens of numbers to dial various modems
    > with my TAPI connection. I now want another PC - PC2 - to be able to use my
    > dial directory without having to setup all the numbers manually.

    I have done that between my desktop and laptop.
    (Win2000 and WinXP). I installed each separately, and had legitimate
    dialer entries. Then I copied the dialusr.dat from the WinXP desktop that
    I use all the time, to the C:\Documents and Setting\CDold\Application
    Data\Kermit 95 folder on the Win2000 laptop.

    You can see that it is the correct one by checking the modification
    time of each. Make a change, and the correct file should be modified
    with each change of the Kermit95 directory.

    That doesn't really sound like your problem, though, since you see the
    dialer entries, and it's just your modem that is messed up.
    Could you use the "bad" modem with the original dialer entry created on
    that machine? I just realized that I don't have a modem set on my Desktop
    machine. But copying the dialusr.dat doesn't disturb the modem setting on
    the laptop.

  3. Re: K95 Dialer porting

    On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 19:05:41 +0000 (UTC), dold@K95XDialer.usenet.us.com wrote:

    -That doesn't really sound like your problem, though, since you see the
    -dialer entries, and it's just your modem that is messed up.
    -Could you use the "bad" modem with the original dialer entry created on
    -that machine?

    Thanks for the reply. As you suspect it's not my problem. When I try to dial one
    of the entries on the new PC, it does try to dial the correct number. However it
    just says "TAPI line modem1 already in use" where modem1 is the original modem.
    It's not an option to move the original modem. I just need to change all
    references in dialusr.dat to modem2. I was hoping for a nice way of doing this -
    maybe I'll try manually editing the file but this is pretty kludgey...

    -Rob
    robatwork at mail dot com

  4. Re: K95 Dialer porting

    :
    : -That doesn't really sound like your problem, though, since you see the
    : -dialer entries, and it's just your modem that is messed up.
    : -Could you use the "bad" modem with the original dialer entry created on
    : -that machine?
    :
    : Thanks for the reply. As you suspect it's not my problem. When I try to dial
    : one of the entries on the new PC, it does try to dial the correct
    : number. However it just says "TAPI line modem1 already in use" where modem1
    : is the original modem. It's not an option to move the original modem. I
    : just need to change all references in dialusr.dat to modem2. I was hoping
    : for a nice way of doing this - maybe I'll try manually editing the file but
    : this is pretty kludgey...
    :
    Don't try to edit the file, it won't work.

    In the Dialer you have a Modems item in the main menu. This brings up a
    dialog that lets you choose the default modem to use. Every Dialer entry
    that makes a phone call uses the Default modem by default. Unless you
    have changed individual entries to not use the Default modem, then changing
    it in the main Modems dialog should do the trick.

    - Frank

  5. Re: K95 Dialer porting

    Frank da Cruz wrote:
    > In the Dialer you have a Modems item in the main menu. This brings up a
    > dialog that lets you choose the default modem to use. Every Dialer entry
    > that makes a phone call uses the Default modem by default. Unless you
    > have changed individual entries to not use the Default modem, then changing
    > it in the main Modems dialog should do the trick.

    I don't have a modem defined on the desktop machine. It is handy that it
    doesn't overwrite the default modem on the laptop when I copy the file.

    --
    ---

  6. Re: K95 Dialer porting

    On 8 Dec 2003 14:06:32 GMT, Frank da Cruz wrote:

    -In the Dialer you have a Modems item in the main menu. This brings up a
    -dialog that lets you choose the default modem to use. Every Dialer entry
    -that makes a phone call uses the Default modem by default. Unless you
    -have changed individual entries to not use the Default modem, then changing
    -it in the main Modems dialog should do the trick.

    Unfortunately it's not the default modem. I tried editing the file and you're
    right it doesn't work!

    I'm now reduced to changing each entry by Editing the serial parameters and
    putting in the correct modem.

    -Rob
    robatwork at mail dot com

  7. Re: K95 Dialer porting

    In article <3fd5a470.93759348@news.nildram.co.uk>, Rob S wrote:
    : On 8 Dec 2003 14:06:32 GMT, Frank da Cruz wrote:
    :
    : -In the Dialer you have a Modems item in the main menu. This brings up a
    : -dialog that lets you choose the default modem to use. Every Dialer entry
    : -that makes a phone call uses the Default modem by default. Unless you
    : -have changed individual entries to not use the Default modem, then changing
    : -it in the main Modems dialog should do the trick.
    :
    : Unfortunately it's not the default modem. I tried editing the file and you're
    : right it doesn't work!
    :
    : I'm now reduced to changing each entry by Editing the serial parameters and
    : putting in the correct modem.
    :
    Sorry, we'll make it clearer in the next edition of the manual that you
    should not normally choose a non-default modem in individual Dialer entries
    unless you have a compelling reason to do so, and what the implications are.

    - Frank

  8. Re: K95 Dialer porting

    Rob S wrote:

    : Thanks for the reply. As you suspect it's not my problem. When I try to dial one
    : of the entries on the new PC, it does try to dial the correct number. However it
    : just says "TAPI line modem1 already in use" where modem1 is the original modem.
    : It's not an option to move the original modem. I just need to change all
    : references in dialusr.dat to modem2. I was hoping for a nice way of doing this -
    : maybe I'll try manually editing the file but this is pretty kludgey...

    Your problem is trivial to solve. Kermit 95's Dialer was designed to
    allow you to map {modem type, port} combinations to names which are
    referenced in the individual dialer entries. If you need to change
    a mapping you use the Modems->Change dialog accessible from the
    K95 Dialer Menu.

    If your old modem name was "3com Megahertz Telephony 3CX" simply
    choose that item in the Name combo box. If you want to switch to
    the new TAPI modem "3Com Mini PCI 56K Modem", select "tapi" for
    the Type and "3Com Mini PCI 56K Modem" for the Port. This will
    now cause all entries configured to use the modem named
    "3Com Megahertz Telephony 3CX" to use the TAPI device
    "3Com Mini PCI 56K Modem" instead of the old device name.

    Jeffrey Altman
    K95 Author

+ Reply to Thread