Can Kermit check for a timeout condition or set one ? - Protocols

This is a discussion on Can Kermit check for a timeout condition or set one ? - Protocols ; I am using ssh to connect to a server via a Kermit Script. I don't want the script to still be running if it cannot connect, can Kermit check for a successful connection or a timeout condition and after this ...

  1. Can Kermit check for a timeout condition or set one ?

    I am using ssh to connect to a server via a Kermit Script.

    I don't want the script to still be running if it cannot connect, can
    Kermit check for a successful connection or a timeout condition and
    after this timeout, to give a message "Cannot connect...check other
    server".

  2. Re: Can Kermit check for a timeout condition or set one ?

    :
    : I don't want the script to still be running if it cannot connect, can
    : Kermit check for a successful connection or a timeout condition and
    : after this timeout, to give a message "Cannot connect...check other
    : server".
    :
    Internet connections will time out eventually if they can't be made.
    The timeout occurs in the TCP/IP stack, not in Kermit. The SET HOST
    command will fail eventually.

    - Frank

  3. Re: Can Kermit check for a timeout condition or set one ?

    "Frank da Cruz" wrote in message
    > In article ,
    > newexpectuser wrote:
    > : I am using ssh to connect to a server via a Kermit Script.
    > :
    > : I don't want the script to still be running if it cannot connect, can
    > : Kermit check for a successful connection or a timeout condition and
    > : after this timeout, to give a message "Cannot connect...check other
    > : server".
    > :

    If you are using K95 you might try
    set host /net:ssh /user:xxx /password:zzz
    and process result.

    If you are using *nix kermit you might try
    set host 22
    If it is an SSH server port it obviously will not connect, but the result
    will tell
    you it is an SSH server.
    If it says I'm an SSH server then do ssh
    if not, just move on.
    Good Luck.

    Regards...Dan.

    > Internet connections will time out eventually if they can't be made.
    > The timeout occurs in the TCP/IP stack, not in Kermit. The SET HOST
    > command will fail eventually.
    >
    > - Frank

+ Reply to Thread