aix to aix file transfer hangs - Protocols

This is a discussion on aix to aix file transfer hangs - Protocols ; Hi All, I need help transfering files from one aix box to another, both boxes are: * Running on a IBM P690 Regatta LPAR * * AIX Version 5.2.0-ML1 I downloaded the latest daily source and built the version for ...

  1. aix to aix file transfer hangs

    Hi All,
    I need help transfering files from one aix box to another, both boxes
    are:

    * Running on a IBM P690 Regatta LPAR *
    * AIX Version 5.2.0-ML1

    I downloaded the latest daily source and built the version for AIX 5.2
    at the kermit prompt found a script called "deliver",

    I typed: set host server2
    kermit responded with: server2.com connected on port telnet

    i typed the letter C and then logged into the remote machine

    so far so good....

    on the remote machine I started kermit

    then used the ctrl-\ c to return

    so far still ok....

    then I typed: send x.tar

    the file transfer screen on kermit appears, the transfer gets to 2%
    and always get stuck, I tried different files, same thing, I can send
    small text file, but it still gets stuck even though it says 100%
    complete.

    here is what the stuck screen looks like:

    C-Kermit 8.0.210 Dev.00, 10 Nov 2003, server1.com [10.248.33.
    39]
    Current Directory: /home/uwmrne/kermit
    Network Host: server2.com:23 (UNIX)
    Network Type: TCP/IP
    Parity: none
    RTT/Timeout: 08 / 00
    SENDING: x.tar => x.tar => /home/uwmrne/x.tar
    File Type: BINARY
    File Size: 9697280
    Percent Done: 2 /

    ....10...20...30...40...50...60...70...80...90..10 0
    Estimated Time Left: 00:02:10
    Transfer Rate, CPS: 72831
    Window Slots: STREAMING
    Packet Type: D
    Packet Count: 58
    Packet Length: 4000
    Error Count: 0
    Last Error:
    Last Message:

    any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

    thanks...bob

  2. Re: aix to aix file transfer hangs

    Sounds like IBM's pseudoterminal bug has returned. Try not to transfer
    through the telnet daemon. Install C-Kermit as an IKSD; or as an
    OpenSSH subsystem; or use SET HOST * to accept an incoming connection
    from within Kermit.

    Bob wrote:
    > Hi All,
    > I need help transfering files from one aix box to another, both boxes
    > are:
    >
    > * Running on a IBM P690 Regatta LPAR *
    > * AIX Version 5.2.0-ML1
    >
    > I downloaded the latest daily source and built the version for AIX 5.2
    > at the kermit prompt found a script called "deliver",
    >
    > I typed: set host server2
    > kermit responded with: server2.com connected on port telnet
    >
    > i typed the letter C and then logged into the remote machine
    >
    > so far so good....
    >
    > on the remote machine I started kermit
    >
    > then used the ctrl-\ c to return
    >
    > so far still ok....
    >
    > then I typed: send x.tar
    >
    > the file transfer screen on kermit appears, the transfer gets to 2%
    > and always get stuck, I tried different files, same thing, I can send
    > small text file, but it still gets stuck even though it says 100%
    > complete.
    >
    > here is what the stuck screen looks like:
    >
    > C-Kermit 8.0.210 Dev.00, 10 Nov 2003, server1.com [10.248.33.
    > 39]
    > Current Directory: /home/uwmrne/kermit
    > Network Host: server2.com:23 (UNIX)
    > Network Type: TCP/IP
    > Parity: none
    > RTT/Timeout: 08 / 00
    > SENDING: x.tar => x.tar => /home/uwmrne/x.tar
    > File Type: BINARY
    > File Size: 9697280
    > Percent Done: 2 /
    >
    > ...10...20...30...40...50...60...70...80...90..100
    > Estimated Time Left: 00:02:10
    > Transfer Rate, CPS: 72831
    > Window Slots: STREAMING
    > Packet Type: D
    > Packet Count: 58
    > Packet Length: 4000
    > Error Count: 0
    > Last Error:
    > Last Message:
    >

    > any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > thanks...bob

  3. Re: aix to aix file transfer hangs

    :
    : * Running on a IBM P690 Regatta LPAR *
    : * AIX Version 5.2.0-ML1
    :
    : I downloaded the latest daily source and built the version for AIX 5.2
    : at the kermit prompt found a script called "deliver",
    :
    : I typed: set host server2
    : kermit responded with: server2.com connected on port telnet
    :
    (etc etc)

    You did everything right but...

    Here's the deal -- either the AIX Telnet server is badly broken, or else
    some secret APIs or negotiations are needed to put it into a mode where
    it can handle file transfers. When I say "Telnet server", that includes
    the pseudoterminal driver it depends on to create to the session. See:

    http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckubwr.html#x3.1.2

    Although it's not mentioned in that section, you can still get high-
    performance Kermit-to-Kermit transfers in AIX. Tell Kermit on one side
    to wait for incoming connection directly to itself (thus bypassing the
    Telnet server and pty driver):

    set host /server * 3000

    and then make the connection from the other:

    set host 3000

    and now you have a client/server connection, where you can use SEND
    (PUT), GET, RDIR, etc.

    - Frank

+ Reply to Thread