Atomic file movement in Kermit - Protocols

This is a discussion on Atomic file movement in Kermit - Protocols ; Can any of the SSH clients of Kermit do Atomic file movement like the FTP version ? I have am trying to run a script on a Linux box, open a connection to a secure server, get all the files ...

  1. Atomic file movement in Kermit

    Can any of the SSH clients of Kermit do Atomic file movement like the
    FTP version ?

    I have am trying to run a script on a Linux box, open a connection to
    a secure server, get all the files in a directory, then delete the
    files after they have been transfered successfully.

    I seem to be able to find some SSH clients out there, but I need ALL
    the following to be able to be done:

    1) Able to script the SSH client
    2) Able to have the SSH client run on a schedule
    3) Able to pass the password (no key authentication)
    4) SSH client must be able to create a log file
    5) ABLE TO DELETE file from remote system, once it has been
    successfully transfered to the host system.

    Thanks in advance

  2. Re: Atomic file movement in Kermit

    Please read

    http://www.kermit-project.org/skermit.html

    which describes the use of C-Kermit as an OpenSSH subsystem for
    file transfer instead of SFTP. SFTP does not support atomic file
    transactions, Kermit protocol does.

    Jeffrey Altman
    Kermit 95 Author
    Volunteer

    --
    Jeffrey Altman * Volunteer Developer Kermit 95 2.1 GUI available now!!!
    The Kermit Project @ Columbia University SSH, Secure Telnet, Secure FTP, HTTP

  3. Re: Atomic file movement in Kermit

    is there a specific article about how to do this ?..I was wondering if
    there is some option in the K95 GUI/Dialer to do this ?
    Jeffrey Altman wrote in message news:...
    > Please read
    >
    > http://www.kermit-project.org/skermit.html
    >
    > which describes the use of C-Kermit as an OpenSSH subsystem for
    > file transfer instead of SFTP. SFTP does not support atomic file
    > transactions, Kermit protocol does.
    >
    > Jeffrey Altman
    > Kermit 95 Author
    > Volunteer
    >

    > newexpectuser wrote:
    > : Can any of the SSH clients of Kermit do Atomic file movement like the
    > : FTP version ?
    >
    > : I have am trying to run a script on a Linux box, open a connection to
    > : a secure server, get all the files in a directory, then delete the
    > : files after they have been transfered successfully.
    >
    > : I seem to be able to find some SSH clients out there, but I need ALL
    > : the following to be able to be done:
    >
    > : 1) Able to script the SSH client
    > : 2) Able to have the SSH client run on a schedule
    > : 3) Able to pass the password (no key authentication)
    > : 4) SSH client must be able to create a log file
    > : 5) ABLE TO DELETE file from remote system, once it has been
    > : successfully transfered to the host system.
    >
    > : Thanks in advance

  4. Re: Atomic file movement in Kermit

    An article besides the one I pointed you to? No.

    The SKERMIT web page describes how to install C-Kermit for use as
    an OpenSSH subsystem as well as how to incorporate its functionality
    into a script for use on C-Kermit and Kermit 95.

    Although, I am not sure why you are mentioning Kermit 95's dialer
    since you stated that you need to run the script on Linux. However,
    assuming you need to run the server on Linux and the client is Windows,
    the answer is 'no'. The K95 dialer at the current moment does not
    support the ability to construct connections to an SSH subsystem.
    Part of the reason is because K95 does not support SFTP and there was
    no need to specify that type of configuration. I will consider adding
    it to a future build.

    If this type of functionality is important to you and is urgently
    required, please contact me privately.

    Jeffrey Altman
    Kermit 95 Author
    Volunteer

    :
    : Jeffrey Altman wrote in message news:...
    :> Please read
    :>
    :> newexpectuser wrote:
[...]

+ Reply to Thread