Direct connection across a USB-connected DB9. - Protocols

This is a discussion on Direct connection across a USB-connected DB9. - Protocols ; My latest laptop lacks a DB-9 serial port, useful to me for connecting to device consoles. So I purchased the laptop vendor's recommendation, a Belkin FSU103; basically, it's a DB-9 connector at the end of a USB cable with some ...

  1. Direct connection across a USB-connected DB9.

    My latest laptop lacks a DB-9 serial port, useful to me for connecting to
    device consoles. So I purchased the laptop vendor's recommendation, a
    Belkin FSU103; basically, it's a DB-9 connector at the end of a USB cable
    with some status lights to show that it's plugged in / moving data / no
    errors. WXP. Device Manager thinks the device really IS a serial port,
    and not a modem. And I dug out my copy of Kermit95, and applied the
    latest (01/2003?) updates.

    HyperTerminal works fine across this device when connected directly to the
    serial port and (for example) /dev/ttya on a Sun, although HyperTerminal
    itself is still brain-dead, of course. Enter Kermit.

    Using a K95 console with:

    Communications Parameters:
    Port: com4, speed: 9600, mode: local, modem: generic
    Parity: none, stop-bits: (default) (8N1)
    Duplex: full, flow: rts/cts, handshake: none
    Carrier-watch: off, close-on-disconnect: off
    Terminal bytesize: 8, escape character: 29 (^])

    Carrier Detect (CD): Off
    Dataset Ready (DSR): On
    Clear To Send (CTS): On
    Ring Indicator (RI): Off
    Data Terminal Ready (DTR): (unknown)
    Request To Send (RTS): (unknown)

    (arrived at via set line com4; set sp 96; set carr off; set flo /dir) ...

    When this session is connected, the terminal displays nothing in response
    to keystrokes (e.g. enter), though though the send and receive lights on
    the serial port device both flash. If I Alt-X back to the command window
    and C again, the terminal suddenly flushes the output of the previous
    keystrokes.

    I presume that I'm clueless about some critical parameter that Kermit
    needs but doesn't have. Suggestions would be appreciated.

  2. Re: Direct connection across a USB-connected DB9.

    In article , Bryan Hodgson wrote:
    :
[...]
    Say no more. Instead of telling K95 to:

    set modem type generic
    set port 4

    Tell it to:

    set port tapi

    Or (if you have more than one TAPI device defined):

    set port tapi

    For greater detail see the Kermit 95 FAQ:

    http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/k95faq.html#comport

    - Frank

  3. Re: Direct connection across a USB-connected DB9.

    The implementation of the USB Serial Port driver differs from the
    standard Serial Port driver. Kermit 95's configuration of the serial
    port does not work correctly with the USB Serial Port driver.

    This is a known bug.

    --
    Jeffrey Altman * Volunteer Developer Kermit 95 2.1 GUI available now!!!
    The Kermit Project @ Columbia University SSH, Secure Telnet, Secure FTP, HTTP

  4. Re: Direct connection across a USB-connected DB9.

    Jeff and Frank ...

    OK. I tried Frank's TAPI suggestion, but that did not yield any different
    behavior. I even found a copy of Kermit 3.15 and tried running it inside
    a DOS compatabity box (desperate measures). That was the only potentially
    relevant suggestion I found on Belkin's web site.

    I reckon I'm going to have to (shudder) get used to using HyperTerminal.
    Or
    dragging a Sun around with me .

    Thanks.

    On 31 Oct 2003 19:59:03 GMT, Jeffrey Altman wrote:

    > The implementation of the USB Serial Port driver differs from the
    > standard Serial Port driver. Kermit 95's configuration of the serial
    > port does not work correctly with the USB Serial Port driver.
    >
    > This is a known bug.

  5. Re: Direct connection across a USB-connected DB9.

    Bryan Hodgson wrote in message news:...

    Jeff and Frank helped me with a problem with a win modem in a new laptop.
    In the end the real solution was/is a pcmcia hardware modem.
    I think this (really a pcmcia rs232 card) may be your best answer?
    More expensive than a USB dongle, but cheaper than the air fare for the Sun.
    Much preferable to the frustration of using Hyperterm.
    Regards...Dan.

    > Jeff and Frank ...
    >
    > OK. I tried Frank's TAPI suggestion, but that did not yield any different
    > behavior. I even found a copy of Kermit 3.15 and tried running it inside
    > a DOS compatabity box (desperate measures). That was the only potentially
    > relevant suggestion I found on Belkin's web site.
    >
    > I reckon I'm going to have to (shudder) get used to using HyperTerminal.
    > Or
    > dragging a Sun around with me .
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > On 31 Oct 2003 19:59:03 GMT, Jeffrey Altman wrote:
    >
    > > The implementation of the USB Serial Port driver differs from the
    > > standard Serial Port driver. Kermit 95's configuration of the serial
    > > port does not work correctly with the USB Serial Port driver.
    > >
    > > This is a known bug.

  6. Re: Direct connection across a USB-connected DB9.

    Bryan Hodgson wrote in
    message news:...
    :
    : OK. I tried Frank's TAPI suggestion, but that did not yield any different
    : behavior. I even found a copy of Kermit 3.15 and tried running it inside
    : a DOS compatabity box (desperate measures). That was the only potentially
    : relevant suggestion I found on Belkin's web site.
    :
    Did that work? I haven't seen the Belkin suggestion (and can't find it) but
    it would be more helpful if companies who suspected problems with Kermit
    software would contact us about it.

    Anyway, sorry for misleading you. I didn't realize that all USB port access
    was broken; Jeff gave the right answer. Bug #731 in:

    ftp://kermit.columbia.edu/kermit/k95/newbugs.txt

    has been corrected. As noted there, the fix must await the next K95 release.
    I can't say when that will be. Meanwhile...

    In article <8ce22d01.0310311918.69f5448e@posting.google.com>,
    Dan Skinner wrote:
    : Jeff and Frank helped me with a problem with a win modem in a new laptop.
    : In the end the real solution was/is a pcmcia hardware modem.
    : I think this (really a pcmcia rs232 card) may be your best answer?
    : More expensive than a USB dongle, but cheaper than the air fare for the Sun.
    : Much preferable to the frustration of using Hyperterm.
    : Regards...Dan.

    Thanks Dan.

    - Frank

  7. Re: Direct connection across a USB-connected DB9.

    On 1 Nov 2003 16:23:57 GMT, Frank da Cruz wrote:

    > Bryan Hodgson wrote in
    > message news:...
    > :
    > : OK. I tried Frank's TAPI suggestion, but that did not yield any
    > different
    > : behavior. I even found a copy of Kermit 3.15 and tried running it
    > inside
    > : a DOS compatabity box (desperate measures). That was the only
    > potentially
    > : relevant suggestion I found on Belkin's web site.
    > :
    > Did that work? I haven't seen the Belkin suggestion (and can't find it)
    > but
    > it would be more helpful if companies who suspected problems with Kermit
    > software would contact us about it.

    The Belkin suggestion for W2K was to use a DOS box. Does not work
    for WXP.

    I'm going to consider the PCMIA rs232 option.

    Thanks for your help.

    Bryan

+ Reply to Thread