TEST NETWORK CONNECTION - Protocols

This is a discussion on TEST NETWORK CONNECTION - Protocols ; I am trying to write a script which looks to see if a netwok connection is available and if it is sent files over the network. If the network is not available I want to initiate a script that will ...

  1. TEST NETWORK CONNECTION

    I am trying to write a script which looks to see if a netwok
    connection is available and if it is sent files over the network. If
    the network is not available I want to initiate a script that will
    send the files over a land line phone.

    thanks in advance,
    Carl Deitrich
    carldeitrich5@comcast.net

  2. Re: TEST NETWORK CONNECTION

    In article <4c64004.0310290631.3b5f136c@posting.google.com>, Carl wrote:
    : I am trying to write a script which looks to see if a netwok
    : connection is available and if it is sent files over the network. If
    : the network is not available I want to initiate a script that will
    : send the files over a land line phone.
    :
    echo "Trying net..."
    set host xxx
    if fail {
    echo "Net connection failed - trying phone..."
    set modem type yyy
    set speed 57600 ; or whatever
    dial 7654321
    if fail exit 1 "Phone connection failed too"
    }

    ; If you reach this point you have a connection,
    ; and you can log in, start Kermit on the other end,
    ; transfer files, and log out.

    See "help set host" for SET HOST command details. See "help dial" and
    "help set dial" and "help set modem" for dialing options and details.
    See:

    http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckscripts.html

    for a scripting tutorial and examples.

    - Frank

  3. Re: TEST NETWORK CONNECTION

    In article , Frank da Cruz wrote:
    : In article <4c64004.0310290631.3b5f136c@posting.google.com>, Carl wrote:
    :: I am trying to write a script which looks to see if a netwok
    :: connection is available and if it is sent files over the network. If
    :: the network is not available I want to initiate a script that will
    :: send the files over a land line phone.
    ::
    : echo "Trying net..."
    : set host xxx
    : if fail {
    : echo "Net connection failed - trying phone..."
    : set modem type yyy
    :
    Sorry, I left out a vital command here:

    set line /dev/ttyS0 ; (or whatever) to open the serial port

    : set speed 57600 ; or whatever
    : dial 7654321
    : if fail exit 1 "Phone connection failed too"
    : }

    - Frank

  4. Re: TEST NETWORK CONNECTION

    Frank da Cruz wrote in message news:...
    > In article <4c64004.0310290631.3b5f136c@posting.google.com>, Carl wrote:
    > : I am trying to write a script which looks to see if a netwok
    > : connection is available and if it is sent files over the network. If
    > : the network is not available I want to initiate a script that will
    > : send the files over a land line phone.
    > :
    > echo "Trying net..."
    > set host xxx
    > if fail {
    > echo "Net connection failed - trying phone..."
    > set modem type yyy
    > set speed 57600 ; or whatever
    > dial 7654321
    > if fail exit 1 "Phone connection failed too"
    > }
    >
    > ; If you reach this point you have a connection,
    > ; and you can log in, start Kermit on the other end,
    > ; transfer files, and log out.
    >
    > See "help set host" for SET HOST command details. See "help dial" and
    > "help set dial" and "help set modem" for dialing options and details.
    > See:
    >
    > http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckscripts.html
    >
    > for a scripting tutorial and examples.
    >
    > - Frank