Kermit losing first byte of tcp connection - Protocols

This is a discussion on Kermit losing first byte of tcp connection - Protocols ; I'm using kermit to script some tests of our SMTP server. When one connects to an SMTP server, the server immediately sends something along the lines of: 220 ESMTP With kermit, I always lose the first byte, so that instead ...

  1. Kermit losing first byte of tcp connection

    I'm using kermit to script some tests of our SMTP server. When one
    connects to an SMTP server, the server immediately sends something along
    the lines of:

    220 ESMTP

    With kermit, I always lose the first byte, so that instead I see:

    20 ESMTP

    This means that commands such as the following will fail:

    input 10 \fpattern(220 *)\13

    Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening? I can work
    around the problem by doing:

    set host /pty telnet 25

    But that's just ugly.

    Cheers,

    -- Lars

    --
    Lars Kellogg-Stedman

  2. Re: Kermit losing first byte of tcp connection

    In article , Lars Kellogg-Stedman wrote:
    : I'm using kermit to script some tests of our SMTP server. When one
    : connects to an SMTP server, the server immediately sends something along
    : the lines of:
    :
    : 220 ESMTP
    :
    : With kermit, I always lose the first byte, so that instead I see:
    :
    : 20 ESMTP
    :
    : This means that commands such as the following will fail:
    :
    : input 10 \fpattern(220 *)\13
    :
    : Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening?
    :
    What command did you use make the connection? I suspect you must have
    unintentionally forced Kermit to use Telnet protocol, which most (if not
    all) Port 25 servers do not support. Try:

    set host 25 /raw-socket

    Note that Kermit's TELNET command forces the use of Telnet protocol.

    - Frank

  3. Re: Kermit losing first byte of tcp connection

    A couple of questions:

    * what commands are you using to connect to the server?

    * does a session log, LOG SESSION, include the initial character?

    * where is the character being lost? only in the INPUT processing
    or also in the CONNECT handling?

    * which version of Kermit?

    * which operating system?

    * which makefile entry was used to build it?

    Jeffrey Altman
    Kermit 95 Author
    Volunteer

    Lars Kellogg-Stedman wrote:
    : I'm using kermit to script some tests of our SMTP server. When one
    : connects to an SMTP server, the server immediately sends something along
    : the lines of:

    : 220 ESMTP

    : With kermit, I always lose the first byte, so that instead I see:

    : 20 ESMTP

    : This means that commands such as the following will fail:

    : input 10 \fpattern(220 *)\13

    : Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening? I can work
    : around the problem by doing:

    : set host /pty telnet 25

    : But that's just ugly.

    : Cheers,

    : -- Lars

    : --
    : Lars Kellogg-Stedman

    --
    Jeffrey Altman * Volunteer Developer Kermit 95 2.1 GUI available now!!!
    The Kermit Project @ Columbia University SSH, Secure Telnet, Secure FTP, HTTP

  4. Re: Kermit losing first byte of tcp connection

    > What command did you use make the connection? I suspect you must have
    > unintentionally forced Kermit to use Telnet protocol, which most (if not
    > all) Port 25 servers do not support.

    I used:

    set host 25

    Does kermit use the Telnet protocol by default on non-port 23 connections?
    Oddly enough, the 'telnet' binary itself does not have this problem.

    >Try:
    >
    > set host 25 /raw-socket

    This does resolve the lost-character problem, although it changes the EOL
    and character echo semantics.

    I also tried:

    set host 25 /no-telnet-init

    But that appears to suffer from the same initial character loss. Things
    are working with /raw-socket, so no complaints. Just a little odd.

    -- Lars

    --
    Lars Kellogg-Stedman

  5. Re: Kermit losing first byte of tcp connection

    Lars Kellogg-Stedman wrote:
    : I'm using kermit to script some tests of our SMTP server. When one
    : connects to an SMTP server, the server immediately sends something along
    : the lines of:

    : 220 ESMTP

    : With kermit, I always lose the first byte, so that instead I see:

    : 20 ESMTP

    : This means that commands such as the following will fail:

    : input 10 \fpattern(220 *)\13

    : Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening? I can work
    : around the problem by doing:

    : set host /pty telnet 25

    : But that's just ugly.

    : Cheers,

    : -- Lars

    : --
    : Lars Kellogg-Stedman

    When something looks like a bug, smells like a bug, and tastes like a bug,
    it is often a bug. The bug is located in the TELNET protocol detection
    code which reads the initial packet worth of data to determine if telnet
    protocol is in fact being used on this port. On Unix, the initial buffer
    was not being stuffed back into the input queue.

    This has been fixed in the source tree and will be corrected in the next
    release.

    --
    Jeffrey Altman * Volunteer Developer Kermit 95 2.1 GUI available now!!!
    The Kermit Project @ Columbia University SSH, Secure Telnet, Secure FTP, HTTP
    http://www.kermit-project.org/ Secured with MIT Kerberos, SRP, and
    kermit-support@columbia.edu OpenSSL.

  6. Re: Kermit losing first byte of tcp connection

    In article , Jeffrey Altman wrote:
    : Lars Kellogg-Stedman wrote:
    :: I'm using kermit to script some tests of our SMTP server. When one
    :: connects to an SMTP server, the server immediately sends something along
    :: the lines of:
    :
    :: 220 ESMTP
    :
    :: With kermit, I always lose the first byte, so that instead I see:
    :
    :: 20 ESMTP
    : ...
    : This has been fixed in the source tree and will be corrected in the next
    : release.
    :
    I'll try to get the new C-Kermit sources up within a few days:

    http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckdaily.html

    For K95, a whole new release will be required. I can't estimate when that
    will happen.

    - Frank

  7. Re: Kermit losing first byte of tcp connection

    :: Lars Kellogg-Stedman wrote:
    ::: I'm using kermit to script some tests of our SMTP server. When one
    ::: connects to an SMTP server, the server immediately sends something along
    ::: the lines of:
    ::
    ::: 220 ESMTP
    ::
    ::: With kermit, I always lose the first byte, so that instead I see:
    ::
    ::: 20 ESMTP
    :: ...
    :: This has been fixed in the source tree and will be corrected in the next
    :: release.
    ::
    : I'll try to get the new C-Kermit sources up within a few days:
    :
    : http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckdaily.html
    :
    It's up now.