Problems with get /recursive - Protocols

This is a discussion on Problems with get /recursive - Protocols ; Howdy, I'm connecting to a remote system using kermit's kermit-sshsub feature (using the 'skermit' script from the archives). While I can transfer single files without a problem, I haven't been able to make 'get /recursive' work for me. Give the ...

  1. Problems with get /recursive

    Howdy,

    I'm connecting to a remote system using kermit's kermit-sshsub feature
    (using the 'skermit' script from the archives). While I can transfer
    single files without a problem, I haven't been able to make 'get
    /recursive' work for me. Give the command:

    get /recursive directory

    Kermit replies:

    *************************
    RECEIVE- or GET-class command failed.
    Packets received: 2
    Damaged packets: 0
    Timeouts: 0
    Packet length: 4000
    Transfer canceled by sender.
    Sender's message: "File not found"

    The directory does exist -- I can rcd into it -- there are no
    permission problems, and I can get individual files just fine. Any
    clues as to what's going on?

    I'm running C-Kermit 8.0.209 under Linux (Redhat 9) on both ends of
    the connections. I have the same problem if I connect via kermit's
    'ssh' command and start up 'kermit -x' on the remote side manually.

    -- Lars

  2. Re: Problems with get /recursive

    On 25 Oct 2003, Lars Kellogg-Stedman wrote:

    > While I can transfer
    > single files without a problem, I haven't been able to make 'get
    > /recursive' work for me. Give the command:
    >
    > get /recursive directory
    >
    > Kermit replies:
    >
    > *************************
    > RECEIVE- or GET-class command failed.

    The get command requires a "filespec" which needs to specify a file
    or files, not a directory. What you want in this case is

    get /recursive directory/*

    or perhaps just

    get directory/*

    which does the same thing if directory contains only files and no
    sub directories.

    --
    Mark Sapiro The highway is for gamblers,

  3. Re: Problems with get /recursive

    That's interesting, because the 'send' command behaves differently. For
    example, if I connect via 'kermit -C "ssh remotehost"', and then on the
    remote system type:

    kermit -C 'send /recursive directory'

    I get the whole thing.

    On the other hand, neither:

    kermit -L -s directory

    Nor:

    kermit -L -s directory/*

    Actually work. The second version (directory/*) will send the contents of
    directory, but without recursing into subdirectories. Of course, 'kermit
    -h' says:

    -L Recursive directory descent for files in -s option

    I suspect I may just be misunderstanding what that means, since one can
    work around this by running:

    kermit -L -s `find directory`

    But this seems like it could easily bog down for a large directory
    hierarchy.

    -- Lars

    --
    Lars Kellogg-Stedman

  4. Re: Problems with get /recursive

    :
[...]
    As it says in:

    http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckermit70.html#x4.11.1

    "To descend a directory tree when sending files, use the -L command-line
    option to indicate that the send operation is to be recursive, and include
    a name or pattern to be sent. When giving a pattern, you should enclose
    it in quotes to prevent the shell from expanding it." So:

    kermit -L -s "directory/*"

    should work.

    - Frank

+ Reply to Thread