How to make use of a terminal server - Protocols

This is a discussion on How to make use of a terminal server - Protocols ; I have access to a terminal server where a modem pool is served. Invokation of the modem is like the following, telnet hostname portnum Username: (type name and return) Password: (type pass and return) atdtphonenumber I tried to use the ...

  1. How to make use of a terminal server

    I have access to a terminal server where a modem pool is served.
    Invokation of the modem is like the following,

    telnet hostname portnum
    Username: (type name and return)
    Password: (type pass and return)
    atdtphonenumber

    I tried to use the following kermit script to automate the authentication,

    #!/usr/local/bin/kermit
    def myuserid username
    def mypasswd password
    set carrier-watch off
    set host hostname portnum
    for \%i 1 10 1 {
    input 20 Username:
    if success break
    output \13
    }
    if > \%i 10 exit 1 No login prompt.
    output \m(myuserid)\13

    for \%j 1 10 1 {
    input 10 Password:
    if success break
    output \13
    {
    if > \%j 10 exit No Password prompt.
    output \m(mypasswd)\13
    undef mypasswd

    but password is always prompted interactively. My immediate purpose is
    to use the dial command in the kermit script, how can I do it?

    Jun

  2. Re: How to make use of a terminal server

    :
    : telnet hostname portnum
    : Username: (type name and return)
    : Password: (type pass and return)
    : atdtphonenumber
    :
    : I tried to use the following kermit script to automate the authentication,
    :
    : #!/usr/local/bin/kermit
    : def myuserid username
    : def mypasswd password
    : set carrier-watch off
    : set host hostname portnum
    :
    You need an "if failure" command here in case the connection fails.

    : for \%i 1 10 1 {
    : input 20 Username:
    : if success break
    : output \13
    : }
    : if > \%i 10 exit 1 No login prompt.
    : output \m(myuserid)\13
    :
    : for \%j 1 10 1 {
    : input 10 Password:
    : if success break
    : output \13
    : {
    :
    That should be a right brace.

    : if > \%j 10 exit No Password prompt.
    : output \m(mypasswd)\13
    : undef mypasswd
    :
    : but password is always prompted interactively. My immediate purpose is
    : to use the dial command in the kermit script, how can I do it?
    :
    I don't understand what you mean by "password is always prompted
    interactively". The password prompt is printed by the terminal server,
    correct? Therefore "input 10 Password:" should see it and succeed, and
    then the password will be sent by the "output \m(mypasswd)\13" command.
    Are you saying that this is not happening?

    Maybe you are using a secure version of C-Kermit and the terminal server
    is requesting a secure form of authentication, which causes C-Kermit to
    prompt for the password locally? To debug this, tell C-Kermit to "set
    telnet debug on".

    Anyway, after you have received the Password prompt and sent the password,
    you can:

    set modem type
    dial
    if fail (do something)

    Also see:

    http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckermit80.html#x14

    - Frank

  3. Re: How to make use of a terminal server

    Thanks a lot!

    Jun

+ Reply to Thread