Maddening Problem with C-Kermit Script - Protocols

This is a discussion on Maddening Problem with C-Kermit Script - Protocols ; We've been using C-Kermit 5A(190) for years on an AIX 3.2.51 host for remote terminal access. All this time it's worked just fine dialing and connecting. Recently I thought I'd do some scripting and found that my scripts always failed ...

  1. Maddening Problem with C-Kermit Script

    We've been using C-Kermit 5A(190) for years on an AIX 3.2.51 host for
    remote terminal access. All this time it's worked just fine dialing
    and connecting. Recently I thought I'd do some scripting and found
    that my scripts always failed with the error "Command file terminated
    by error." After some experimenting, I discovered that it was being
    caused by any use of the "input" or "reinput" statements with the text
    parameter. If I leave off the text parameter and include only the
    timeout parameter (which doesn't search for much), it works fine, but
    if I include the text parameter I get the error. At first, I thought
    maybe this build of 5A was just broken and had gone unnoticed all this
    time, so I downloaded version 8.0.209 and built it without errors and
    after testing discovered it fails the SAME WAY when using "input" or
    "reinput". I'm only trying to do a simple automated login script like

    dial \m(number)
    if fail ...etc.
    output \13
    input 5 login:
    if success...etc.

    If I'm overlooking something dumb, I wish somebody would be kind
    enough to point it out to me. This is making me crazy...

    Jim Chapman

  2. Re: Maddening Problem with C-Kermit Script

    In article ,
    Jim Chapman wrote:
[...]
    :
    : dial \m(number)
    : if fail ...etc.
    : output \13
    : input 5 login:
    : if success...etc.
    :
    : If I'm overlooking something dumb, I wish somebody would be kind
    : enough to point it out to me. This is making me crazy...
    :
    I suspect that "set take error on" (which is NOT the default) is in
    effect when you run this script. This makes the command file terminate
    automatically when any command in it fails. If the INPUT command does not
    get the "login:" string within 5 seconds it fails, and this will give the
    result you describe.

    Remove the "set take error on" command from your script (or your .kermrc
    file, or wherever else it is), or if you can't find it, add "set take error
    off" to your script.

    - Frank

  3. Re: Maddening Problem with C-Kermit Script

    fdc@sesame.cc.columbia.edu (Frank da Cruz) wrote in message news:...
    > In article ,
    > Jim Chapman wrote:
    > : We've been using C-Kermit 5A(190) for years on an AIX 3.2.51 host for
    > : remote terminal access. All this time it's worked just fine dialing
    > : and connecting. Recently I thought I'd do some scripting and found
    > : that my scripts always failed with the error "Command file terminated
    > : by error." After some experimenting, I discovered that it was being
    > : caused by any use of the "input" or "reinput" statements with the text
    > : parameter. If I leave off the text parameter and include only the
    > : timeout parameter (which doesn't search for much), it works fine, but
    > : if I include the text parameter I get the error. At first, I thought
    > : maybe this build of 5A was just broken and had gone unnoticed all this
    > : time, so I downloaded version 8.0.209 and built it without errors and
    > : after testing discovered it fails the SAME WAY when using "input" or
    > : "reinput". I'm only trying to do a simple automated login script like
    > :
    > : dial \m(number)
    > : if fail ...etc.
    > : output \13
    > : input 5 login:
    > : if success...etc.
    > :
    > : If I'm overlooking something dumb, I wish somebody would be kind
    > : enough to point it out to me. This is making me crazy...
    > :
    > I suspect that "set take error on" (which is NOT the default) is in
    > effect when you run this script. This makes the command file terminate
    > automatically when any command in it fails. If the INPUT command does not
    > get the "login:" string within 5 seconds it fails, and this will give the
    > result you describe.
    >
    > Remove the "set take error on" command from your script (or your .kermrc
    > file, or wherever else it is), or if you can't find it, add "set take error
    > off" to your script.
    >
    > - Frank

    Hmmm...you're correct. Thank you. If I "set take error off", my
    script works just fine under controlled pass and fail conditions.
    Though, now I wonder what it doesn't like when it's enabled. It seems
    as if it bails under any condition.

  4. Re: Maddening Problem with C-Kermit Script

    In article ,
    Jim Chapman wrote:
    : fdc@sesame.cc.columbia.edu (Frank da Cruz) wrote
    : in message news:...
    : > Remove the "set take error on" command from your script (or your .kermrc
    : > file, or wherever else it is), or if you can't find it, add "set take error
    : > off" to your script.
    :
    : Hmmm...you're correct. Thank you. If I "set take error off", my
    : script works just fine under controlled pass and fail conditions.
    : Though, now I wonder what it doesn't like when it's enabled. It seems
    : as if it bails under any condition.
    :
    Maybe some other command is failing. Use "set take echo on" to have
    the commands listed as they are executed so you can see which one fails.
    Use "set input echo on" to see the characters read by the INPUT command.
    If a command is failing and you don't know why, insert "log debug" before
    the failing command and then look at the debug.log file or send it to us.

    - Frank

+ Reply to Thread