Still have file transfer problem - Protocols

This is a discussion on Still have file transfer problem - Protocols ; I read the File Transfer section of the C-Kermit 8.0 Unix tips and hints, and tried set prefixing all set parity space separately, none of them change a thing. Don't know how to try ROBUST. Both side of the system ...

  1. Still have file transfer problem

    I read the File Transfer section of the C-Kermit 8.0 Unix tips and
    hints, and tried
    set prefixing all
    set parity space
    separately, none of them change a thing.
    Don't know how to try ROBUST.

    Both side of the system doesn't have space problem, but if I reduce the
    size of the file being transfered, send could be successful. For
    instance, if this successfully transfered file has 12 lines of text, and
    I yank the existing 12 lines and make a new file with 24 lines, send
    will fail.

    I have emailed my script to kermit-support@columbia.edu. Please help me.

    Jun Zhang

  2. Re: Still have file transfer problem

    In article ,
    Jun Zhang wrote:
    : I read the File Transfer section of the C-Kermit 8.0 Unix tips and
    : hints, and tried
    :
    This is only a supplement to the manual. The basic material is in the
    manual itself.

    : set prefixing all
    : set parity space
    : separately, none of them change a thing.
    : Don't know how to try ROBUST.
    :
    When you start C-Kermit, it says:

    Type ? or HELP for Help.

    Try typing "help" and read what it says:

    Type EXIT to exit.
    Type INTRO for a brief introduction to C-Kermit. <--

    Now type "intro" and read what it says:

    Basic commands:
    EXIT Exit from Kermit
    HELP Request general help
    HELP command Request help about the given command <--
    TAKE Execute commands from a file
    TYPE Display a file on your screen
    ORIENTATION Explains directory structure

    Commands for file transfer:
    SEND Send files
    RECEIVE Receive files
    GET Get files from a Kermit server
    RESEND Recover an interrupted send
    REGET Recover an interrupted get from a server
    SERVER Be a Kermit server

    File-transfer speed selection:
    FAST Use fast settings -- THIS IS THE DEFAULT
    CAUTIOUS Use slower, more cautious settings
    ROBUST Use extremely slow and cautious settings <--

    and so on. These are commands. As it says above you can type "help" for
    any command, for example:

    help robust

    to get help about that command. Give the "robust" command to the file
    sender. That's the whole command, just the one word, "robust".

    : Both side of the system doesn't have space problem, but if I reduce the
    : size of the file being transfered, send could be successful. For
    : instance, if this successfully transfered file has 12 lines of text, and
    : I yank the existing 12 lines and make a new file with 24 lines, send
    : will fail.
    :
    It sounds like a lack of effective flow control.

    : I have emailed my script to kermit-support@columbia.edu. Please help me.
    :
    It looks like you are configuring the calling modem correctly, but I can't
    tell from here. When the modem dials, are all the AT commands accepted?
    You have to use SET DIAL DISPLAY ON to watch the AT command dialog.

    What about the answering modem? Is the answering modem configured for
    hardware flow control? Is the port it is connected to configured for
    hardware flow control? These are system administration questions, which
    have nothing to do with Kermit. The remote modem and port have to be
    configured correctly even before it answers your call.

    Kermit can control the port and modem on the CALLING system, but not on the
    CALLED system when the call is being answered by getty and you are logging
    in normally. If you can get the remote computer's port and modem configured
    appropriatele for high-speed connections, then the transfers should work
    very well.

    If you can't change the configuration of the remote computer then you can
    change the Kermit settings to use a slower method of transfer. There is
    an entire chapter in the C-Kermit about how to troubleshoot file transfer
    problems, I'm not going to type the whole chapter into this reply.

    For configuring modems, again, there is a whole chapter in the book.
    You can order it from Amazon:

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re...5665863-047434

    - Frank

+ Reply to Thread