automodem? - Protocols

This is a discussion on automodem? - Protocols ; I saw the autotelnet kermit script, assuming ethernet connection available. I need to write such a script when the connection is through modem. Can some one help? Jun...

  1. automodem?

    I saw the autotelnet kermit script, assuming ethernet connection
    available. I need to write such a script when the connection is through
    modem. Can some one help?

    Jun

  2. Re: automodem?

    In article ,
    Jun Zhang wrote:
    : I saw the autotelnet kermit script, assuming ethernet connection
    : available. I need to write such a script when the connection is through
    : modem. Can some one help?
    :
    Just now I added an "autodial" script to the Modems section of the
    C-Kermit script library:

    http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckscripts.html

    - Frank

  3. Re: automodem?

    Thank you Frank, autodial worked for me. I'll go ahead and see those
    more ambitious examples.

    Jun

    Frank da Cruz wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Jun Zhang wrote:
    > : I saw the autotelnet kermit script, assuming ethernet connection
    > : available. I need to write such a script when the connection is through
    > : modem. Can some one help?
    > :
    > Just now I added an "autodial" script to the Modems section of the
    > C-Kermit script library:
    >
    > http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckscripts.html
    >
    > - Frank

  4. Re: automodem?

    Frank,
    After connection, logging in, at the ckermit> prompt, I type hangup
    or quit, modem seems disconnected. These are all fine.
    Go to the remote host, I noticed that the getty process was replaced
    by -ksh during the succesfull connection, but remain like that after I
    hang up at the client. Next time I use autodial, session will hang after
    I give password.
    To further explain what I mean: before successful connection, there
    is a process (launched by inittab entry)
    root 3067 1 0 11:45:45 ttyd0p7 0:00 /usr/sbin/getty -h ttyd0p7 9600
    after the successful connection, the process becomes
    root 3067 1 0 11:45:45 ttyd0p7 0:00 -ksh
    this process will remain like it is even after the client side modem
    hangup. I have to kill it and let init to respawn, before the new
    autodial session could be successful.
    The remote host is hpux 11.00. The replacement instead of fork a
    child of the process looks weired. Before looking into that, I would
    like to know if kermit has anything to do with it.

    Jun

    Frank da Cruz wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Jun Zhang wrote:
    > : I saw the autotelnet kermit script, assuming ethernet connection
    > : available. I need to write such a script when the connection is through
    > : modem. Can some one help?
    > :
    > Just now I added an "autodial" script to the Modems section of the
    > C-Kermit script library:
    >
    > http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckscripts.html
    >
    > - Frank

  5. Re: automodem?

    To answer my last question: I have to logout during kermit CONNECT mode
    to recover that remote getty process, and you told me that.

    Can I put shell commands to run at remote host within the autodial
    script? For instance I need to logout.

    I tried to add

    if success connect
    touch /tmp/somefile
    exit

    at the end of autodial script, but I was given the shell prompt of the
    remote host. Probably this to embed shell script in kermit issue.

    Jun

    Frank da Cruz wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Jun Zhang wrote:
    > : I saw the autotelnet kermit script, assuming ethernet connection
    > : available. I need to write such a script when the connection is through
    > : modem. Can some one help?
    > :
    > Just now I added an "autodial" script to the Modems section of the
    > C-Kermit script library:
    >
    > http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckscripts.html
    >
    > - Frank

  6. Re: automodem?

    In article <_g0ab.916$SY5.132@newssvr22.news.prodigy.com>,
    Jun Zhang wrote:
[...]
    No, it doesn't. A Kermit script only does the same things that you would
    do by hand. It can't affect interactions between getty and ksh on the
    remote host.

    : To answer my last question: I have to logout during kermit CONNECT mode
    : to recover that remote getty process, and you told me that.
    :
    : Can I put shell commands to run at remote host within the autodial
    : script? For instance I need to logout.
    :
    Yes, of course you can put dialogs with the host in your script. Please
    read the tutorial near the beginning of the C-Kermit scripts page:

    http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckscripts.html#tut

    : I tried to add
    :
    : if success connect
    : touch /tmp/somefile
    : exit
    :
    : at the end of autodial script, but I was given the shell prompt of the
    : remote host. Probably this to embed shell script in kermit issue.
    :
    As the tutorial says, if you want the script to execute the dialog, then
    you must replace the CONNECT command with a series of INPUT and OUTPUT
    commands, so:

    if success connect
    touch /tmp/somefile
    exit

    becomes something like:

    input 10 {\10$ } ; (or whatever the shell prompt is)
    if fail exit 1 No shell prompt
    output touch /tmp/somefile\13
    output exit\13

    - Frank